Post-Game Talk: If you don't think Despres is the best player in the world, GTFO. Pens-5, Sharks-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Crosby splits:

In Wins 20 12 25 37 12 8 19.7
In Losses 10 3 1 4 -8 10 6.8

Games, goals, assists, points, +/-, PIM, shooting %

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
The bottom line is that some people see the situation one way, supported by the staff and the player himself. Some see it a different way and prefer to try and read between the lines.

To be honest RRP, all I am trying to do is to base my opinions on what I see from the players on the ice, and if those observations are overwhelmingly backed by advanced statistics, I have to think there is something to them.

Our results with Despres on the ice speak for themselves. All the stats point in just one direction. That was so last year. It is so this year.

To me.... Despres was sent down because they wanted to try out Maatta and as he clearly earned that chance. We otherwise had too many players on one-ways not to cut an asset we didn't want to cut to be able to play Despres. The rest is about rationalizing that fact, because the alternative would be to say that who plays is not simply down to merit. Obviously that isn't the case, and to be honest it shouldn't be either. But it doesn't mean we have to buy the smoke.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I just watched the game this morning. Did the Sharks even show up to play this one? Wow they were pretty brutal.

So I suppose we beat a good Western Conference team handily, therefore everything is fine now right? All good. I just want to point out that Edmonton also destroyed a good Western Conference team last night. So I believe small sample size is in order, here.

Will Megna get rewarded for his goal? I highly doubt it. Once Geno's ready, Megna's the odd man out again. Just like Sill sat after a very nice game in his last outing. Although Dupuis' injury might open things up for Megna now. I sure hope so. Then again, Kobasew might get that job first.

It sure seems to me as though the third line is now entrenched. What a scary thought.

Maatta and Despres looked great. Both of these guys should never sit out again. Just keep feeding them minutes. They're both minute-munchers. Oh but we have 2 veteran D-men injured. What happens when they're back?

I hope we will be able to handle what we're lining up for, here. Everybody healthy, this is what might happen:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Conner-Sutter-Ebbett
Glass-Adams-Kobasew

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland

So, while I am REALLY encouraged by the play of the youth right now--Olli Maatta, Simon Despres, Jayson Megna, Zach Sill and even Jeff Zatkoff--I have zero confidence that they'll be able to play their way out of whatever slumps they'll ultimately fall into. Megna produces and sits anyway. Sill delivers the type of fourth-line performance we desperately need on this team, and sits anyway. No matter how good/great guys like Despres and Maatta play, there's no guarantee they won't sit too when Scuderi and Martin return. It's the hierarchical structure of this team.

We'll get our ***** kicked Saturday in Boston, and things will look normal again.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The one play he made at the point was hilarious. He waited... waited... and sent a crisp, hard pass to an open Shark player in the middle of the ice with no Pens player within 10 feet. Tape to tape. Sick pass.

If I'm thinking of the same play, it looked like he partially fanned on it to me.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm just happy Maatta and Despres look good. Who cares which one is better?

Despres definitely has the best outlet pass from the back end right now, and yep I'm including Letang. Despres just has unreal vision and long bomb accuracy.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
So I suppose we beat a good Western Conference team handily, therefore everything is fine now right? All good. I just want to point out that Edmonton also destroyed a good Western Conference team last night. So I believe small sample size is in order, here.

is this actually a sentiment that was expressed by a significant portion of the posting population? i haven't read the whole thread, so pardon my earnestness.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm just happy Maatta and Despres look good. Who cares which one is better?

Despres definitely has the best outlet pass from the back end right now, and yep I'm including Letang. Despres just has unreal vision and long bomb accuracy.

I love them both and have said both would be untouchable in my mind. I just find there's a certain segment of this board dead-set on marginalizing Despres, led by your BFF. It's ridiculous.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
is this actually a sentiment that was expressed by a significant portion of the posting population? i haven't read the whole thread, so pardon my earnestness.

This entire thread has been sunshine and rainbows, you goof. ;)

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I love them both and have said both would be untouchable in my mind. I just find there's a certain segment of this board dead-set on marginalizing Despres, led by your BFF. It's ridiculous.

Despres has moved into the untouchable list IMO too. I also cannot (for the life of me) remember to include his first "s" in his name. It just doesn't belong there.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

marginalizing. studies show it's an effective weight-loss strategy, no?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If I'm thinking of the same play, it looked like he partially fanned on it to me.

I had to DVR it and re-watched the play... He just looked like he didn't know the guy was a Shark, because he snapped the puck right to him. It was funny, in a bad way

I think finding a spot where Jokinen looks "right" on more than one or two shifts a night should be a priority. I think finding out if Megna is a long-term answer in the top-6 should be a priority.

These injuries are bad, but they should be viewed as a blessing. You have the chance to see what you have.

The KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY is not ignoring what you're seeing right now.

I'm not sure if Megna can be a top six answer now, but he has earned a roster spot. He plays fast. He plays hard. He plays gritty. And most of all he is productive with the minutes he gets. He always finds ways to generate scoring chances. Oh and he's productive.

Not sure what else he needs to do.

I think the third line needs more Uher.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Either wrong play or your eyes failed you. He was at center point. Looked to shoot, then made a direct tape to tape pass to a Sharks player with no Penguins player in the vicinity. He made the pass like it was a Penguin there. It was really pretty hilarious.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, he has an agenda and I've called him on it, among many other things.

I thought Maatta was the most expendable blueline prospect last March and I love being wrong on calls like that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The third line needs a lot of things...starting with needing less of what we currently have on it.

Uher is a better player than the two journeyman there right now and has a nice future in this org.

It's a vet AHL, "here is a bone" thing. Since they are winning I don't see Uher getting called up, but that third line is my only real. In us from last night. It's been that way for a few games now.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I had to DVR it and re-watched the play... He just looked like he didn't know the guy was a Shark, because he snapped the puck right to him. It was funny, in a bad way

I'm not sure if Megna can be a top six answer now, but he has earned a roster spot. He plays fast. He plays hard. He plays gritty. And most of all he is productive with the minutes he gets. He always finds ways to generate scoring chances. Oh and he's productive.

Not sure what else he needs to do.

I think the third line needs more Uher.

I'm certainly not suggesting Megna is the answer to their problems, but like you said, so far he's earned it. You never like injuries, but injuries have shown us Megna, the shown us a better 4th line, and they shown us what Maatta and Despres can do. That's what I meant by not ignoring what you see.

Who cares where Megna was (or wasn't) drafted. Who cares how much Jokinen makes. Who cares about Tanner Glass' and Craig Adams' feelings?

You have these guys (Megna, Despres, Maatta, Sill) in your system. They've proven that they are better than the guys they are replacing. Act on it.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm certainly not suggesting Megna is the answer to it problems, but like you said, so far he's earned it. You never like injuries, but injuries have shown us Megna, the shown us a better 4th line, and they shown us what Maatta and Despres can do. That's what I meant by not ignoring what you see.

Who cares where Megna was (or wasn't) drafted. Who cares how much Jokinen makes. Who cares about Tanner Glass' and Craig Adams' feelings?

You have these guys (Megna, Despres, Maatta, Sill) in your system. They've proven that they are better than the guys they are replacing. Act on it.

Kunitz wasn't drafted and he plays with Crosby. In an org woefully thin with skilled fwd prospects, they should be break dancing on the bench that Megna is showing grit, skill and productivity.

With Glass... I look at it like this...

Upside down pineapple square cake, winner winner chicken dinner.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
That's where I'm at. If we don't plan on re-signing him, get a longterm top 9 winger back and move on.

Maatta-Letang
Scuds-Martin
Despres-Nisky
Engo-Bort

I think we're good.

That's a good group. Lacks some bite for the playoffs but it's definitely enough to win games.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
That's a good group. Lacks some bite for the playoffs but it's definitely enough to win games.

I think Letang, Despres and.. heh heh heh Niskanen are all big enough ****** down low that it will be OK in the playoffs.

Scuds/Martin not particularly physical, but they'll have the puck a majority of the time, so I think it's okay.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
So if Bortuzzo had played last night and allowed San Jose's only goal to go off his stick in between Fleury's legs, would he be benched for the following game? Somehow I get the feeling Engo is on a different standard. :shakehead

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Definitely think Megna deserves to stick on the 3rd line over Ebbett/Conner. Thought Neal had a good game driving the play without Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad