If you could pick any player heading into the playoffs - where does Crosby rank among choices?

If you could pick any player in the world heading into the playoffs (in a vacuum) - Crosby is your:

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If you could add any player around the NHL to a hockey team heading into the playoffs this year (try to think in a vacuum more than for your specific team requirements) - where does Crosby rank among the players you'd choose first?

1st choice?
2nd choice?
3rd?
4th?
5th?
outside top 5?

If he's not first - name (in order) who you pick above him and why.

Ignore salary and contract. Take into accounts any injuries, whose hot this year vs whose not, etc.

If you look at track record it's easy to say he's first choice (back to back smythes plus overall legacy/career). But there are some players so far this season having absolutely amazing seasons you may decide are simply too good in the moment to pass up on (Malkin, Mack, Kucherov, etc)

So where does Crosby rank among your choices, and why?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
It’s really hard to compare between all players, especially when goalies are so much more important than forwards or defencemen when it comes to winning a series, so I’ll just compare Crosby to other forwards.

Imo Malkin would be the first forward I pick for a playoffs series and Crosby would be second.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby may be the safest bet but based on the season he's having it wouldn't be crazy to take several others before him. I think MacKinnon would be promising considering how well he did at 18 and his play this season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby
Malkin
Kane
Karlsson

After that, it’s wide open.

I personally would not have Kane in my top 5 or even remotely consider him over Crosby. Only players I would consider taking over him would be:

Malkin
Karlsson
MacKinnon
Kopitar
Bergeron

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I feel like it's safest to side with Malkin over Crosby right now, they playoffs are so close in time. Otherwise it's hard to specify it down to the exact position.

I personally would not have Kane in my top 5 or even remotely consider him over Crosby. Only players I would consider taking over him would be:

Malkin
Karlsson
MacKinnon
Kopitar
Bergeron

I also don't think there is a good reason to consider Kane over Crosby right now (wouldn't be surprised to see either of them turn it on though), but along with the names mentioned I'd like at least Kucherov on a consideration list.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I feel like it's safest to side with Malkin over Crosby right now, they playoffs are so close in time. Otherwise it's hard to specify it down to the exact position.

I also don't think there is a good reason to consider Kane over Crosby right now (wouldn't be surprised to see either of them turn it on though), but along with the names mentioned I'd like at least Kucherov on a consideration list.

True, he has been great in the playoffs.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017

Malkin
Karlsson
MacKinnon
Kopitar
Bergeron

Im taking their playoffs history into consideration.

Right now, Crosby floats and Kane plays on a bad team. I’ll take the guy with the last two Conn-Smythes over anyone else until proven otherwise.

Hell, even Kucherov would be a great choice (I forgot him).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Im taking their playoffs history into consideration.

Right now, Crosby floats and Kane plays on a bad team. I’ll take the guy with the last two Conn-Smythes over anyone else until proven otherwise.

Hell, even Kucherov would be a great choice (I forgot him).

Yeah of course you take Crosby over Kane. In Kane's past two playoff series he has two goals and is -4. Pretty underwhelming considering the season he had 2 years ago.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah of course you take Crosby over Kane. In Kane's past two playoff series he has two goals and is -4. Pretty underwhelming considering the season he had 2 years ago.

Not only that I take Crosby over Kane, but I take Crosby over anyone else.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
3rd behind McDavid and

Kucherov (if you have a top 10C), or Karlsson (if you're lacking the elite D but have a top 4 forward group)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Still take him first. Tossup with Malkin as he's having a better regular season but i know they're both going to bring their A games in the postseason.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby is my #2. Malkin is #1

Because he certainly didn't deserve the 1st one and last year it could've gone to Malkin just as easily
He deserved both. You could make a case for Kessel and Malkin, but they both benefited from Crosby drawing the toughest matchups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad