If You Could Change One Play Or Moment in NHL/Hockey History.....

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Inspired by a what-if thread on this site's NBA sub-forum (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/is-there-a-bigger-what-if-moment-in-nba-history.2383027/)................

Like let's say you could go and change the outcome of one moment, one play in the NHL that would have a big impact going forward, which one would it be and why so?

One play I honestly think would have had an interesting butterfly effect: Kirk McLean's save in the 1994 playoffs.

If that happens, we're rewriting things for a lot of teams:

Vancouver- How would history judge Pavel Bure/Trevor Linden/McLean if they don't have that memorable playoff run that did follow? And how is Canucks history redone without that Cup run? Maybe they overhaul the team if they have another early exit on the heels of 1992-1993?

Calgary- They would have had home-ice the rest of the West Playoffs (Remember, the same night as that game 7 was San Jose's shocking upset of Detroit) and considering the rest of the West (Dallas, San Jose, Toronto) and getting the first round playoff monkey off their backs. Plus, also, if they do make a deep run, does that probably mean they never do the MacInnis/Vernon trades from the summer of '94? (And if so, that might also change things for Detroit/St. Louis)

San Jose- They would have drawn Calgary in round 2. Might they have caught the Flames on an emotional hangover and maybe gone even further if the Flames had a bit of a letdown?

Dallas/Toronto- Considering how Vancouver quickly ran through these teams, might they have stood a better chance with no Bure/McLean standing in the way? In fact, if Reichel scores, they actually play each other in round 2!

NY Rangers- If they don't play Vancouver, are we sure the 1994 Cup Finals would have been as memorable as it became? Think of all the memorable moments we lose (McLean's game 1 masterpiece, Richter's save on Bure, the wild game 5 third period, that epic game 7) Would a possible Cup triumph in a shorter series or less dramatic battle have made it more or less iconic a moment?

Mike Keenan- If the Rangers don't win the Cup, does he maybe never try and weasel his way out with a Cup and try again

NY Rangers- Of course, maybe the curse still goes on if they don't win the Cup and they could be working on a 77 year drought.

Reactions: HisIceness

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I would love to have seen the Oilers/Flames match-up between 1988-1991 if Gretzky had still been in the copper-and-blue.

As it happened, Edmonton won the 1991 series just days before the remnants of the Dynasty-era team died for good, but with Gretzky on board from 1988 to 1991... that match-up would have been just unbelievable (as it already was circa 1986-1988).
- Would the Flames have won the Cup in '89 if no Gretzky-trade?
- Would the Oilers still have won in 1990 if Messier hadn't emerged fully from Gretzky's shadow and with no "kid line" in Edmonton?
- Would the Gretzky/Oilers have played the Lemieux/Pens in the 1991 Finals?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Probably keep Richard from retaliating against Laycoe. Scoring title for Richard, league title for the Canadiens, Stanley Cup for the Canadiens - all put in jeopardy. Also a riot. Might be too drastic of an effect, as it's such a part of hockey history.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not sure on a what if but what about New Jersey's moving to Nashville in 1995? Imagine if that happens, what team gets the 27th franchise? Would Seattle get a team at that time? Also with that in mind would Houston get the 32nd team that is being discussed today?

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
A single moment? I'd probably ask Dan Hamhuis to refrain from hip-checking Lucic in Game 1 of the 2011 finals and getting injured for the rest of the series. Not sure that would've changed the outcome, and obviously lots of things went wrong for Vancouver, but that's probably the one redo that'd have given the Canucks the best shot at winning...

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That Wren Blair, Bill Mastertons Coach & GM in 1968 who only admitted/confessed publicly at the age of 85 & years later that he believed Bill had been suffering from a pre-existing concussion & who had been exhibiting all the symptoms thereof... that Blair had instead of just taking Mastertons' word that that he was "good to go" had instead ordered him to "sit", sent him to the hospital where he could have received the medical diagnosis & treatment which he required. It was clear to Blair & to several of Bill's teammates prior to his last game that there was something very seriously wrong with the guy.

Reactions: ICM1970

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ask Steve Smith.

steve-smith-30-apr-10.jpg

Reactions: mrhockey193195

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
A single moment? I'd probably ask Dan Hamhuis to refrain from hip-checking Lucic in Game 1 of the 2011 finals and getting injured for the rest of the series. Not sure that would've changed the outcome, and obviously lots of things went wrong for Vancouver, but that's probably the one redo that'd have given the Canucks the best shot at winning...

my first thought too. what does it say about luongo, the hall of fame goalie, that the most important steadying influence on that team was a non-superstar defenseman and not him?

i might also go with manny malhotra not reaching for that loose puck that he deflected into his own eye and invoke the butterfly effect. taking away that one fluke incident would probably change enough of the course of subsequent events that the second fluke, hamhuis hurting himself on what is for him a routine hipcheck, also wouldn't happen right?

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
my first thought too. what does it say about luongo, the hall of fame goalie, that the most important steadying influence on that team was a non-superstar defenseman and not him?

i might also go with manny malhotra not reaching for that loose puck that he deflected into his own eye and invoke the butterfly effect. taking away that one fluke incident would probably change enough of the course of subsequent events that the second fluke, hamhuis hurting himself on what is for him a routine hipcheck, also wouldn't happen right?

Yeah, I didn't want to tempt fate. The butterfly effect combined with the iron law of Canuck luck would probably get us bounced by Chicago in the first round...

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

The only true what-if for the 2011 Canucks should be Boston losing one of those game 7'a.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
1975 NHL Season, and Punch Imlach acquired a real goaltender. He could have had Gilles Meloche. Buffalo may well have won the Cup that year had he, and he said so himself years later..

Crozier was physically shot, and Desjardins was a head case who broke down mentally in the 1975 playoff finals...

He had the parts to upgrade and didn't. He took that mistake to his grave.......

meloche.jpg

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Ottawa: Hasek does not play in 2006 Olympics.

Aftermath: they may with the cup that year, they shake the perennial loser stereotype, maybe get a bigger haul for the inevitable Heatley trade, maybe Hasek stays for another cup run the following year.

Reactions: cole von cole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad