Salary Cap: If we do trade *blank* what do we want for him?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
No way we should trade Seabrook. Bickel for a fifth :)
Right now Bickell's my odd-man out, but realistically unless Seabs give himself a rectal craniectomy and stops playing D like Matt Walker he'll find himself expendible.

There was a thread in the trade forum that proposed Tatar+Dekeyser for Seabrook. I wouldn't do it during this season, but if we have to move a big contract, that would be really good value for Seabs.
I was hoping that the 'hawks would have taken Tatar over Pirri, and I don't have any problems with Dekeyser except my hope that he and Prab Rai will get into a fight will probably never happen (Any long-time Weird Al fan should get this), but the though of sealing Seabs to Detroit leaves me with an unclean feeling. Sure, he's has some brain farts so bad he's had to check his underwear (he's not the only one though), but I'd feel bad moving him to Detroit.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I don't want Seabrook to be traded, and don't think he'll need to be, but if I was Bowman I'd strongly consider doing it for Tatar/DeKeyser if there was somehow the chance to do it. The cap savings wouldn't even be much, but the value is great. The Hawks would probably have to add a pick and/or prospect.

Damn, now I kind of want this to happen after this season.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The Trade deadline for the Hawks should be real interesting. You are going to have a rough idea of where you are going to need to be $$. You might see Bickell, Sharp or Seabrook, moved at the deadline as well as A D man from Rockford. I would rather not move any of them at the deadline but What you are going to get over the summer is about 1/2 what you get at the Deadline. As soon as TVR made the team and we traded for Pokka we should have started shopping AC IMO. Now he is off to a slow start and his Market has probably gone down. Rockford is so loaded on D and on most of the lines that there are just not enough points to go around.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The Trade deadline for the Hawks should be real interesting. You are going to have a rough idea of where you are going to need to be $$. You might see Bickell, Sharp or Seabrook, moved at the deadline as well as A D man from Rockford. I would rather not move any of them at the deadline but What you are going to get over the summer is about 1/2 what you get at the Deadline. As soon as TVR made the team and we traded for Pokka we should have started shopping AC IMO. Now he is off to a slow start and his Market has probably gone down. Rockford is so loaded on D and on most of the lines that there are just not enough points to go around.

Honestly, I think it depends on where this team is coming up to the trade deadline. We may get less in the offseason, but if the team happens to be tearing through the league like Oprah tears into a buffet I don't think we'll lose anyone.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
There's not a fan that wouldn't want to see Bickel shipped outta Chicago. But realistically unless we take a bad contract back we're stuck with the slouch.

Out of the big guns, I'd sooner see Sharp gone before anyone. He's still got great value but is the easiest to replace. I don't like hearing about Seabrook moving.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
i dont want Bickell gone, I want his contract gone

I'd also like Kane and Toews at 2 million a year.

Bickell isn't worth 1.5 million a year. Waste of a roster space. At least with a guy like Regin you have a guy giving 110% every night, even though he's not great. What do you have with Slouch? 1 good shift every 5-6 games?

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I'd also like Kane and Toews at 2 million a year.

Bickell isn't worth 1.5 million a year. Waste of a roster space. At least with a guy like Regin you have a guy giving 110% every night, even though he's not great. What do you have with Slouch? 1 good shift every 5-6 games?

Bickell is worth at least 2.5m a year. He's average during the regular season, and fantastic during the playoffs.

The guy is overpaid, sure, but give him some credit.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Bickell is worth at least 2.5m a year. He's average during the regular season, and fantastic during the playoffs.

The guy is overpaid, sure, but give him some credit.

I've watched his entire career. He's had ONE great playoffs(contract year). The rest of the time he's floated around. The guy has done nothing to warrant 1/4 of the $$ he's getting. Trust me I ate some crow after that playoffs. He was stellar. I was happy he resigned, but didn't like the contract. Was hoping it would be similar to a Shaw deal(2 ys/2 mil) and if he continued to step it up he gets the big pay day later. What do we get? The return of the 550k Bickell. He sucks. I'd take ANY player in the organization over him.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I've watched his entire career. He's had ONE great playoffs(contract year). The rest of the time he's floated around. The guy has done nothing to warrant 1/4 of the $$ he's getting. Trust me I ate some crow after that playoffs. He was stellar. I was happy he resigned, but didn't like the contract. Was hoping it would be similar to a Shaw deal(2 ys/2 mil) and if he continued to step it up he gets the big pay day later. What do we get? The return of the 550k Bickell. He sucks. I'd take ANY player in the organization over him.

He did just fine last year in the playoffs. He scored some goals and made some big hits against the Blues and Wild. And he was on our top line (with Toews and Hossa) doing his best in a shutdown role. But obviously people only remember point production and not defensive plays.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He did just fine last year in the playoffs. He scored some goals and made some big hits against the Blues and Wild. And he was on our top line (with Toews and Hossa) doing his best in a shutdown role. But obviously people only remember point production and not defensive plays.

Because he's not a defensive player. That's not his role. He got paid to be the dominating power forward that puts up points that he showed he could be when his next paycheck was on the line.

Toews and Hossa aren't Maltby and Draper. That line was used to play strong defense, but they were also expected to put pucks in the net.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Because he's not a defensive player. That's not his role. He got paid to be the dominating power forward that puts up points that he showed he could be when his next paycheck was on the line.

Toews and Hossa aren't Maltby and Draper. That line was used to play strong defense, but they were also expected to put pucks in the net.

You cant expect them to do that and keep the Kopitar line at bay. Q put Bickell with Toews and Hossa. Don't get me wrong, that line did it's job, but it's stupid to think that they could excel at both defense and offense. We needed offense to come from the other three lines.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That line did it's job just like the Bollig - Kruger - Smith line did it's job. It had two really good defensive players and a third guy there not to mess it up.

Bickell's fine defensively. He's nothing more than average though.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
4 years and 16 Million for a player that is going to be 27-30 during his contract, Is not paying him to be High end Power forward. That salary is for a 3rd line AVG player in his prime. 5.5-6 mil is the going rate for a dominating non all start type of wing. The issue for me with Bickell is not that he is terrible over paid (look around the league and see what 4X4 gets you with a UFA in his 20's). My problem is he has the talent to be playing at a level that would make him underpaid and he chooses not too.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
4 years and 16 Million for a player that is going to be 27-30 during his contract, Is not paying him to be High end Power forward. That salary is for a 3rd line AVG player in his prime. 5.5-6 mil is the going rate for a dominating non all start type of wing. The issue for me with Bickell is not that he is terrible over paid (look around the league and see what 4X4 gets you with a UFA in his 20's). My problem is he has the talent to be playing at a level that would make him underpaid and he chooses not too.

An average third liner makes four million dollars? On the late nineties Rangers maybe.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
From last year UFA market the following guys signed deals and switched teams. Bickell was a few days Away from UFA when he signed, All the below signed and are 27-30 when they signed.

Dave Bolland 5-27.5
Nikolay Kulemin 4-16.75
Ben pouliot 5-20
Mikhail Graboviski 4-20

I agree if you 2rd liner is 23 or 34 he is not making 4 mil but if he is 28? He probably is. Bickell is making less then all the above. I would say he is right with all of them in talent and production.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You cant expect them to do that and keep the Kopitar line at bay. Q put Bickell with Toews and Hossa. Don't get me wrong, that line did it's job, but it's stupid to think that they could excel at both defense and offense. We needed offense to come from the other three lines.

Glad to see someone gets it. Against LA, at ES the first lines cancelled each other out, which is pretty much expected when the top 2 teams in the West meet in the PO's.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Glad to see someone gets it. Against LA, at ES the first lines cancelled each other out, which is pretty much expected when the top 2 teams in the West meet in the PO's.

Yup, that series was determined on depth. We had one scoring line (saad/shaw/kane), one shutdown line (Bickell/Toews/Hossa), and two other lines that couldn't muster up anything. That loss was not on anyone in the top two lines.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
There's not a fan that wouldn't want to see Bickel shipped outta Chicago. But realistically unless we take a bad contract back we're stuck with the slouch.

Out of the big guns, I'd sooner see Sharp gone before anyone. He's still got great value but is the easiest to replace. I don't like hearing about Seabrook moving.

Going into this season, yes. Now, I'm not so sure.

Before Sharp got injured he was completely invisible at ES--We're talking a dissappearing act much like Bronson Pinchot's or Geena Davis' recent acting careers.

Before TVR went down he was looking like he was making Seabrook expendible on the 1st pairing.

There's still a lot of season to see where the cards lie, but right now my money is on Bickell + one of those two moving. Hossa, although nowhere offensively has been big defensively and has the Recapture hanging over his head, so I don't think he's moved, nd right now I would thing Stan+Q would have to be out of their gourds if they got rid of Crawford--of all of our 5-6M players, only he and Keith are really earning their salary.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Bickell 2 years at 4 million isnt that bad of a contract for a team with space.

florida gave kopecky 3 mil a couple years ago, bolland 5.5 last year

Edmonton gave pouliot 4 mil last year, boyd gordon 3 mil last year

Calgary gave David Jones 4 mil, juri hudler 4 mil

Erats making 4.5, the list goes on and on. someone will take him (probly with some insentive to take him)

Mzeppelin1

Apr 26, 2014
Trade Seabrook

Sorry guys, but be honest. Keith IS the top pair. Put a monkey as his partner and he'll do fine. Every time I see a games highlights and it shows the other team scoring, it's always because of him ****ing up with the puck or his inept ability to disregard players in the slot. The fact that he makes MORE than Keith is no short of a miracle for him. I'm sure you can find another player to take slap shots from the point while players screen the goalie WHILE giving a **** in his own end. Look at last years playoff record vs St. Louis: Record with Seabrook 1-2, Without Seabrook 3-0. *Game 2 was lost due to a last second goal by Tarasenko due to Seabrook's 5 minute major, then an OT goal by Jackman of all people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad