Speculation: If we continue to be in the playoff hunt - who should Stevie Y look to add at the TDL?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He doesn't have to be a good, proven, solid NHLer to be a better partner for Seider. Chiarot and Seider are absolutely incompatible, and I have no idea why Coach Ogryn doesn't see it.
From the beginning, I've said that Maatta should be with Seider and Chariot with Hronek.
But whatever.
Edvinsson isn't the answer for Seider.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
It's not like Detroit needs to maintain their current pace to make the playoffs. So my question is essentially, how much can they afford to drop off, and is that attainable? They're on pace for 107 points, more than enough. Last season was an outlier in the East, but on average to get in to the playoffs a team would need 95-97 points. Let's say their goal is 96 points. To get there they would need to be on pace for 93 points the rest of the way. Still a tall order, but I think it's within the realm of possibility.

Teams other than Detroit will obviously fall. Others will surge. That doesn't really have much to do with the averages and what Detroit needs to accomplish points-wise.

There was a breakdown on the main board somewhere that for Detroit to have a realistic shot at the postseason they’re looking at 100 points.

So 74 more points in 62 games. 0.596 win percentage. I think that is very doable.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Husso can't play every game. He's played 7 of the last 8, which is likely unsustainable. He's playing more than Detroit would like because Ned has been so bad and Husso's been so good. But Ned's likely due for some regression. If he can turn in some good performances when he does get in, he can drive that share closer to a typical 1A and 1B setup, and get something closer to 2-3 out of every 8 games, instead of only 1. He'll have at least that opportunity.

The Hellberg claim is interesting, but I'm not convinced that's a sign Ned has lost his job. He has more rope than that. I think it's just a play for more depth in the system overall.
Obviously not but like you said Husso has played 7/8 and he has not shown any weakening during this period. At this rate Husso keeps playing majority of the games and Red Wings don't really have the need for a 1A-1B setup, Hellberg is capable enough to play those 2-3 games out of every 8-10 games.

Last edited:

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
The trade deadline isn't until 3 March 2023, so by then, if we're buyers and not sellers, our targets will probably be dictated by whatever injuries we have at that point.

I don't want Chychrun, he's grossly over-rated and over-priced.

I'm hoping we don't do much, to be honest. Unless we're going to somehow land a really good young offensive center, and some team is willing to part with such an asset for eleventy-kabillion ShartCoins, a crryptocurrency recently launched by my Boston terrier.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No additions. We are not contending yet don't waste assets.

Think sending a guy like Gustav Lindström for more proven vet D is not any kind of "wasting assets". It's just fastening the timeline, and some other team could fit Lindström better for their timeline.

We can't have just kids learning at defence. One Seider is enough.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
if anything a D make to shore up blue line esp if injury or something, ton of forwards already, the 12 we dressed vs the coyotes plus fabbri, zadina, soderblom, vrana

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Bring Glendening home to win a goddamned faceoff once in a while

Think that would be possibility, even though Jim Nill will want him to do the same thing for Stars.

But Dallas has 7 options, who can take faceoffs, and many are great, so I think Luke isn't so critical for them.

Seguin-Hintz-Faksa-Gledening is the current center core, but they have also Dellandrea and Johnston as young kids pushing on the lineup.

Palveski is not anymore a center, but is taking some key faceoffs. Jamie Benn does also take some faceoffs and is great at them.

So they have ~8 guys able to take faceoffs, many are 55-60%. Maybe Glendening could be the odd man out? He is the best with 63.8% win percentage. That would really be a killer add to our team to D-zone faceoffs. Only Righty for us and almost best in the business.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Why would Dallas trade Glendening? They have the second most points in their conference and he's a guy teams love to have in the playoffs.
Yzerman pulled a genuis move grabbing another tender. Teams are gonna run into Injuries and he just grabbed another one..We stand pat with Husso as our true number one and we have 2 others that are tradeable. Also in the limited time we have seen Berrgren it's gonna be hard for Zadina to get back in the lineup..who knows when Vrana gets back but that's another player that is going to steal a spot. Times are good for Wings fans.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yzerman pulled a genuis move grabbing another tender. Teams are gonna run into Injuries and he just grabbed another one..We stand pat with Husso as our true number one and we have 2 others that are tradeable. Also in the limited time we have seen Berrgren it's gonna be hard for Zadina to get back in the lineup..who knows when Vrana gets back but that's another player that is going to steal a spot. Times are good for Wings fans.
Hellberg's played 6 NHL games since being drafted 11 years ago. He doesn't have any value. He's an insurance policy and a guy the team was familiar with.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not really up for grabbing a rental. If the price is cheap enough it'd be hard to complain but at that point not sure we'd be getting enough of an upgrade to matter. If we're bringing players in I would hope they would be guys who will be here for a few years.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
There was a breakdown on the main board somewhere that for Detroit to have a realistic shot at the postseason they’re looking at 100 points.

So 74 more points in 62 games. 0.596 win percentage. I think that is very doable.
Interesting. My brief analysis just looked at the last several years to see what the minimum # of points were to get into the playoffs in each conference (or the pace required in the Covid-shortened seasons). Of the 10 numbers I looked at, the highest was 100 points (last season, in the East), and the lowest were a couple times in the high 80s. So 100 seems like the upper end. It's certainly possible that that will be the threshold, but I'd bet it'll be a little lower.

Either way, I agree, I think this team has a chance at making it. I thought that before the season. And there was a scenario where they would have started the season very poorly and had far fewer points through 20 games, which would have changed my mind; I would have said they no longer had any chance. So I'm pretty happy with where they are currently sitting, and that they maintain a chance at the playoffs in my estimation.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Obviously not but like you said Husso has played 7/8 and he has not shown any weakening during this period. At this rate Husso keeps playing majority of the games and Red Wings don't really have the need for a 1A-1B setup, Hellberg is capable enough to play those 2-3 games out of every 8-10 games.
Sure, if Hellberg beats out Ned and shows he's the better goalie, I'm happy to roll with Hellberg. I just don't see that as an especially likely scenario. Ned's been bad lately, but he has the much better track record, so if I'm placing a bet, I'm gonna bet on Ned over Hellberg. I don't really see Hellberg as a viable NHL backup at this point.

As for a 1A-1B scenario, that's pretty much the whole league at this point, depending on how you want to define "1A-1B" vs "clear-cut starter." No goalie in the league has played more than 74% of their team's minutes (Husso is at 70%), which translates to 60 games for the year. Husso has never played more than 42 in a season. Maybe he's ready exceed that, but I doubt he's gonna hit 60. I think no matter who the backup is this season, they should expect to cummulatively play 30ish games for Detroit. Hellberg has played 230 minutes in the NHL over the past 10 years, so it's difficult to see him being that guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not trading a pick in the first 3 rounds for someone. If you want to trade a pick in the 4th-7th range for some depth, then whatever.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hellberg's played 6 NHL games since being drafted 11 years ago. He doesn't have any value. He's an insurance policy and a guy the team was familiar with.

That and he has been on waivers 432 times this season. Nobody is trading anything for him unless they have a serious injury problem. Even then, the Wings aren't keeping 3 goalies for much longer. My guess is Hellberg is waived and gone within 2 weeks.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yzerman got a 4th for namestnikov, a 5th for Merrill & 7th for Troy Stretcher. Not game changers for a playoff team but some depth to help out. I could see yzerman looking to for rentals in this range if we are still in the mix at the TDL.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
That and he has been on waivers 432 times this season. Nobody is trading anything for him unless they have a serious injury problem. Even then, the Wings aren't keeping 3 goalies for much longer. My guess is Hellberg is waived and gone within 2 weeks.
I know their situations are not comparable, but the 'Canes waived Ned a couple of years ago. I specifically remember @MBH and some others wondering whether we should claim him. I made a smart-ass comment like, "Why TF would we do that?" Then later on (admittedly after posting some really good numbers) we give up a 3rd for him.

Sometimes I'm dumb.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
As for a 1A-1B scenario, that's pretty much the whole league at this point, depending on how you want to define "1A-1B" vs "clear-cut starter." No goalie in the league has played more than 74% of their team's minutes (Husso is at 70%), which translates to 60 games for the year. Husso has never played more than 42 in a season. Maybe he's ready exceed that, but I doubt he's gonna hit 60. I think no matter who the backup is this season, they should expect to cummulatively play 30ish games for Detroit. Hellberg has played 230 minutes in the NHL over the past 10 years, so it's difficult to see him being that guy.
With those numbers Husso is a clear-cut starter, in 1A-1B setup the games are split much even. 1A plays 5-6 games out of 10 and 1B plays 4-5 games, that's how i define it.

Husso has played pro hockey since he was 18-years old, in Finland he played 49(+2 U20 national team) games during his rookie year. 44(+7 U20 national team) games in his sophomore year and 54(+1 men's national team) games in his 3rd year and lead his team to a silver medal. 45 games in first NA year as well and now Husso is way better and more readier than he was back then, with his current form i don't not see any problems that he can't play 60 games.

Yzerman is a smart man when it comes to the salary cap control and the 1A-1B setup is ideal when the other guy has a ELC or cheap bridge deal. Right now there's 3 million dollars sitting in the bench, Red Wings are far from being a cap hell team but im sure Yzerman can find better use for them. Ned's contract ends in the summer and i doubt that he is willing to cut his salary in half. Also when Yzerman was in Tampa he preferred the clear-cut starter, it took him a while to find one but now Red Wings are in the same position.

Husso = Bishop
Cossa = Vasy

No need to keep Ned.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Luff and Elmer will get sent down when they recover, so there's roster space until Fabbri comes back in January. By then someone else will be injured because it's what always happens.

I think the plan is to use him in practice to alleviate the workload on Husso. No need to wear Husso out with practice when he's starting almost every game. Practice goalie who might get some game time if Ned gets blown out. As many games as Husso is playing, Fester can't pull Ned and put Husso in because it'll wear him out that much more.

Any move that reduces Husso's workload is a good move, even if temporary.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Interesting. My brief analysis just looked at the last several years to see what the minimum # of points were to get into the playoffs in each conference (or the pace required in the Covid-shortened seasons). Of the 10 numbers I looked at, the highest was 100 points (last season, in the East), and the lowest were a couple times in the high 80s. So 100 seems like the upper end. It's certainly possible that that will be the threshold, but I'd bet it'll be a little lower.

Either way, I agree, I think this team has a chance at making it. I thought that before the season. And there was a scenario where they would have started the season very poorly and had far fewer points through 20 games, which would have changed my mind; I would have said they no longer had any chance. So I'm pretty happy with where they are currently sitting, and that they maintain a chance at the playoffs in my estimation.

We already look at the season in 20 game segments

So this is how I'd break it down

Games 21 to 40: 24 points gained, 50 points total
Games 41 to 61: 26 points gained, 76 points total
Games 62 to 82: 24 points gained, 100 total

Barring disaster I think that is reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit exceed that and hit the 104 mark that JFresh's WAR roster simular had us at max with a healthy Fabbri and Vrana.

Also, if Detroit hits 100+ points this year Yzerman deserves GM of the year and Fester deserves the Jack Adams trophy. It will forever be known as the Fester Adams trophy.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
With those numbers Husso is a clear-cut starter, in 1A-1B setup the games are split much even. 1A plays 5-6 games out of 10 and 1B plays 4-5 games, that's how i define it.

Husso has played pro hockey since he was 18-years old, in Finland he played 49(+2 U20 national team) games during his rookie year. 44(+7 U20 national team) games in his sophomore year and 54(+1 men's national team) games in his 3rd year and lead his team to a silver medal. 45 games in first NA year as well and now Husso is way better and more readier than he was back then, with his current form i don't not see any problems that he can't play 60 games.

Yzerman is a smart man when it comes to the salary cap control and the 1A-1B setup is ideal when the other guy has a ELC or cheap bridge deal. Right now there's 3 million dollars sitting in the bench, Red Wings are far from being a cap hell team but im sure Yzerman can find better use for them. Ned's contract ends in the summer and i doubt that he is willing to cut his salary in half. Also when Yzerman was in Tampa he preferred the clear-cut starter, it took him a while to find one but now Red Wings are in the same position.

Husso = Bishop
Cossa = Vasy

No need to keep Ned.
Cossa is still years away from Detroit. The Wings need a 2nd NHL-caliber goalie for the time being. If not Ned, then someone else. But we already have Ned, and he's proven he can be at least adequate, so I'd like to see him get going before we cut bait and lean further into Husso. Husso may be able to handle 60 games, but most goalies can't/don't do that, so I'd prefer they have a good contingency plan plan. If Yzerman doesn't want to re-sign Ned in the offseason, that's fine, but we better be targeting a good 1B/backup.

Hopefully claiming Hellberg works in Ned's favor and he can turn his season around.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad