If we become sellers, who will go?

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
What do you think each one would get us in draft picks?

Markov has a year left at $5.75 million and unfortunately MB just resigned Plecs for 2 years at $12 million dollars. Neither are going anywhere we are stuck with both of them. No one will take DD with two years left at $3.5 mill. Gilbert might get you a conditional pick

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Markov has a year left at $5.75 million and unfortunately MB just resigned Plecs for 2 years at $12 million dollars. Neither are going anywhere we are stuck with both of them. No one will take DD with two years left at $3.5 mill. Gilbert might get you a conditional pick

We can retain salary ... we can also take salary back.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I'm hoping that we get one 1st and at least another 2nd. Then we would have 5 picks in the top 60, in a very strong draft, with the potential to move up.

We haven't had a great draft year since we had those two 1sts, and this team needs an influx. If we get a top 5 pick, it will also have the advantage of not taking 6 years to develop like a goalie. That player could play with us next year ...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd deal Markov first. He's clearly done.

Plekanec is one I'd look to see if there's anything out there for, but I wouldn't rush into a trade just for a draft pick. It'd have to be a prospect with at least 2nd-line potential to fill that void down the road.

Desharnais would be the guy I'd move for a pick, even though it wouldn't be as high as the one Plekanec could fetch.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
If only we had traded Koivu, Souray and Co when we should have... The return would have been very good.

Yeah, I had the same thought back then. Instead, we let the walk for nothing, and didn't do well in the playoffs if we even made it. That was the worst managing of resources. Had we moved the we would be a much different team today, that is for certain.

Unfortunately, we don't have as much in terms of high end talent on expiring contracts this time around.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
If Price is not healthy you dont need a full sell mode.

You sell the crap like Gilbert, Flynn, DSP, Byron.

Explore market on Markov if any.

Take the top 10 pick and get a young talented player then try and fill the holes for a run next year.

This is all on price not being fully healthy

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not saying to do all of them but:
Markov for a late 1st/2nd + B prospect.
Plekanec for a late 1st+B prospect
DSP for a 4th
Gilbert for a 5th
Flash for a 4th
Eller for a 3rd+C prospect
DD for a 3rd+C prospect

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If the team ends up going full fire sale/tank they need to get Hudon, Carr, Ellis, Dietz, Pateryn etc in the lineup for the rest of the year and get McCarron and a couple of those 2 way guys they picked up like Lessio and Friberg in a few games. That's the starting point, not getting a couple prospects back that won't play either, or draft picks that won't help the team now. The priority would be clearing out 3 forward spots(2 wings 1 c) and 2 d and trimming down the cap for a summer trade or two.

OUT:
DSP(waived & sent to IceCaps or claimed)
Flash(4th)
DD + Andrighetto (3rd + middling prospect)
Markov (1st + minor prospect + 3m cap dump)
Gilbert (4th)

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Price
Beaulieu
Petry
Subban
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Pacioretty

Only players I keep. The rest can go.

I'd keep Pateryn as well. I'd look at moving Patches too. Get value now. In a couple years when his deal is up, he will be looking for $8 million+ per and he isn't worth it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So, here is a question: if we become sellers, who will go, and what can we expect to receive?

I could see Mitchel and Flynn leaving for picks, maybe 3rd/4th.

Plecks for a 1st/2nd

DSP 2nd/3rd

Gilbert 2nd/3rd

Condon 1st/2nd

What are your thoughts?

If we aren't going to the playoffs, may as well get as many picks as possible, preserve the core, and swing big in free-agency/draft.

We won't be sellers.

We have the roster to compete with most teams, as long as we get above average goaltending.

Even if we don't clinch a playoff spot till near the end, we will never be so far out of it that we would be sellers.

Just my two cents.

Having said that, I don' T mind moving unimportant pieces.

Gilbert, DSP, Fleischmann could very well go, but I don't expect to get as much as the OP would. A 3rd would be lucky, more like maybe a 4th for Gilbert (Weaver fetched a 5th), and maybe a spare 6th-7th defenceman turning UFA for a guy like Fleischmann in a hockey trade.

Players with size and who have scored in the POs like DSP will still have SOME value. The guy has 3 years left of cost control. He could be moved for a 2nd or more likely for another guy with some possible upside but who needs a change of scenery.

If I am right and we are not sellers, we will probably want some depth parts back if we move any of our depth pieces. Maybe we would accept one draft pick, but I can't see us going for three late picks and giving up three depth assets that might possibly be of use at a specific point in time.

I would think that the hardest decision of all will be Dale Weise. Do we think we can re-sign him at a decent 3rd/strong 4th line salary? More than that is not advisable in a cap world. Carr can replace him even now as a guy who chips in some offence while being fairly responsible, while McCarron will bring the size on the right side within a year I would think.

Could we make a hockey trade and get a pending UFA with more offensive tools but perhaps a bit smaller or weaker than Weise, whom we could put with Pleks and Patches, moving Gallagher to a line with Galchenyuk and Eller or even Carr?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd go more retool than rebuild, get lottery pick this season but try to win next season again.

Shutting down Price is key since this team is pretty much naturally tanking without him. For trades:

None of the impending UFAs are really worth keeping long term:
Weise
Fleischmann
Gilbert
Byron
Scrivens (with more cap retained)

These Signed/RFA Players don't really fit and hopefully can be peddled off on someone in either pick/prospect+expiring contract cap dump type deal or just straight up struggling player for player deal:
Eller
Desharnais
Flynn
DSP

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd go more retool than rebuild, get lottery pick this season but try to win next season again.

Shutting down Price is key since this team is pretty much naturally tanking without him. For trades:

Weise
Fleischmann
Gilbert
Byron

These Signed/RFA Players don't really fit and hopefully can be peddled off on someone in either pick/prospect+expiring contract cap dump type deal or just straight up struggling player for player deal:
Eller
Desharnais
Flynn
DSP

Why would Paul Byron not be worth keeping? I doubt he will cost much.

And why dump Eller? Why not just move him back to a third line C role?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Weise
Fleischmann
Gilbert
Byron

Eller
Desharnais
Flynn
DSP

Out of this list, I try to resign Weise and I'd keep Eller for sure.

Weise, it depends at what price he'd come, but he's a great bottom six forward.

Eller is a great 3rd line center that can chip in 15 goals a year. I don't think we have anyone to replace him in that role, and I don't think trading him would be worthwhile for us.

Guys like DSP, Flynn and Byron are good depth to have around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad