If we become sellers, who will go?

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
So, here is a question: if we become sellers, who will go, and what can we expect to receive?

I could see Mitchel and Flynn leaving for picks, maybe 3rd/4th.

Plecks for a 1st/2nd

DSP 2nd/3rd

Gilbert 2nd/3rd

Condon 1st/2nd

What are your thoughts?

If we aren't going to the playoffs, may as well get as many picks as possible, preserve the core, and swing big in free-agency/draft.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Plekanec, Markov, Weise, Flynn, Byron, Eller, Desharnais, DSP, Emelin, Gilbert, Scrivens

All of them should be available, free up cap space, move as many as you can, get as many young solid assets and draft picks as possible and retool in the off-season, cash in on guys like Boedker, Okposo, then sign depth role players/let younger kids earn the spots in the bottom 6.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Plekanec, Markov, Weise, Flynn, Byron, Eller, Desharnais, DSP, Emelin, Gilbert, Scrivens

All of them should be available, free up cap space, move as many as you can, get as many young solid assets and draft picks as possible and retool in the off-season, cash in on guys like Boedker, Okposo, then sign depth role players/let younger kids earn the spots in the bottom 6.

I agree, but I get the feeling we will hold on to Weise, unless we get an offer we can't refuse. He seems to bleed bleu blanc rouge.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Emelin and Weise stay...everyone else you can Jettison

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
So, here is a question: if we become sellers, who will go, and what can we expect to receive?

I could see Mitchel and Flynn leaving for picks, maybe 3rd/4th.

Plecks for a 1st/2nd

DSP 2nd/3rd

Gilbert 2nd/3rd

Condon 1st/2nd

What are your thoughts?

If we aren't going to the playoffs, may as well get as many picks as possible, preserve the core, and swing big in free-agency/draft.

Honestly, it is doubtful any of those picks will be given for those players. Keep in mind contracts that count as much as the player now:

Pleks ... at $5M then $6M for two years. Too expensive a contract for a 33yr old. No biters on that.
DSP ... who would want him as a rental? Probably better deals out there.
Gilbert ... who wants him as a rental? Only someone desperately short of defensemen for the playoffs. A maybe.
Condon ... a backup rental goalie for a 1st or 2nd. Doubtful any biters for that.

Picks are also held much closer by GMs now than before, They aren't so willing to give them up as a few years ago, especially 1sts and 2nds.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

So you're left with Galchenyuk and ? at center for next season?

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I'd be shocked if Markov is flipped, but it also makes a lot of sense ... don't know how Markov would feel about it. A last chance to win the cup? Or would he rather just stay with the Habs? Either way, if we could get good return (like a 1st +) then I would do it ... he won't have too much longer here anyway.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Honestly, it is doubtful any of those picks will be given for those players. Keep in mind contracts that count as much as the player now:

Pleks ... at $5M then $6M for two years. Too expensive a contract for a 33yr old. No biters on that.
DSP ... who would want him as a rental? Probably better deals out there.
Gilbert ... who wants him as a rental? Only someone desperately short of defensemen for the playoffs. A maybe.
Condon ... a backup rental goalie for a 1st or 2nd. Doubtful any biters for that.

Picks are also held much closer by GMs now than before, They aren't so willing to give them up as a few years ago, especially 1sts and 2nds.

It depends on needs. Some teams may take the chance if they think that X fills the roll. Also, we gave a 2nd for Vanek not too long ago, with no real expectation to sign him. Similar for Petry, too. Some GMs are less reluctant to take a risk.

So you're left with Galchenyuk and ? at center for next season?

I don't think he is suggesting to trade all. But, rather, that all are available, if the Price is right.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Easy to say, hard to do. Moving players like Plekanec, Markov, Eller, Desharnais, and Emelin with larger multi year contracts is not what other teams are looking for and become hard to move without taking an equivalent back.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Sadly I doubt they will ever move Desharnais. And the excuse is totally irrational: he would not get a good return (i.e. nobody wants him) therefore we are best to keep him (and play him 18min /game).

I guess Eller, Plex, Markov, Emelin, Gilbert could be moved, although I disagree with doing that.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
I'd look for takers for Plek, Gilbert and Marky (Davey too, but who are we kidding?), but none of it matters if the same coach is behind the bench.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Why do you think Emelin will stay?

He's the only one that can lay a hit on the entire team.....we'd be warm butter soft if he'd be gone plus he's not as bad as people make him out to be...the guy plays pretty good with Petry, really good second pairing!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i wish it was desharnais, DSP, Dilbert, Emelin...
and markov/pleks..
but the wankers running this team will keep 51

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
i wish it was desharnais, DSP, Dilbert, Emelin...
and markov/pleks..
but the wankers running this team will keep 51

Who would take DD? Maybe someone desperate for a third line passing center, but with him on the team, it seems that playoff success is less likely. If only he were 5'10+. We're stuck with him till we replace him, or until he is claimed by Quebec in the expansion draft.

But, I'd take a 2nd for him :)

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
He's the only one that can lay a hit on the entire team.....we'd be warm butter soft if he'd be gone plus he's not as bad as people make him out to be...the guy plays pretty good with Petry, really good second pairing!

I'd move him if the offer is right, and look for another hitter in the off season. Also, Pateryn hits, as well as McCarron. Too bad we moved Kassian. He hits, too.

But finding a hitting D should be hard. Bartley may do it a bit, too.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I like Emelin's physicality, but he spend too much of his time in the defensive zone.

For 4.1 million, Habs can do better. He's the first non-UFA contract I'd try to sell. Desharnais second.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, I feel that Emelyn might actually have trade value, and we could give his spot to Pateryn, or sign someone in the off season. I'd move him for a 1st or second to a team looking to get over the top and lacks D. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad