If Volchenkov is available, would he be an upgrade for our defense?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No interest in Volchenkov if one of smith/DD/Kindl has to be sat for him. No interest in Volchenkov's contract extending beyond this season. I think I value Quincey more just because his cap/roster space opens up and we'll have some space/money to maneuver - especially if one kids in GR lights it up this year.

Unless it's a clear upgrade, like Edler, I'd rather just go with the D we have.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Quincey at least has the possibility of scoring a few points. Not sure Volchenkov could find the net with a metal detector.

And I say this as a guy who has really loved Volchenkov throughout his career. But his time may be passing and the Wings blueline is filled with enough young promise not to clog it up for the Dan Cleary of defenders.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I don't get where "Volchenkov is a bad Dman" is coming from. Perhaps it's because of the system (I noticed other Devils dmen sat on top of the charts as well), but Volchenkov has been top 10 last three years in limiting Corsi events, Fenwick events, and shots against. Still a top 50 Dman (right above Quincey, ironically, in GAA/20), and playing against decent competition.

Droc

Classless
Jul 17, 2010
In my house.
I don't get where "Volchenkov is a bad Dman" is coming from. Perhaps it's because of the system (I noticed other Devils dmen sat on top of the charts as well), but Volchenkov has been top 10 last three years in limiting Corsi events, Fenwick events, and shots against. Still a top 50 Dman (right above Quincey, ironically, in GAA/20), and playing against decent competition.

His time in Ottawa, he was one of the hardest hitting guys in the league, impossible to play against, and often a better goalie then the guy with the pads on. Diving to block shots with his face. I havent fallowed him since he left Ottawa, but the guy was pure heart.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Cap hell doesn't spell for acquiring a defenseman locked up for twice his worth. We already have one of those.

His time in Ottawa, he was one of the hardest hitting guys in the league, impossible to play against, and often a better goalie then the guy with the pads on. Diving to block shots with his face. I havent fallowed him since he left Ottawa, but the guy was pure heart.

Big heart, style of play has slowed down his health and game significantly.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
can't believe i still have to defend quincey after his second half play and outstanding playoffs. guy was perhaps our best d-man in the playoffs last year. he was atrocious to start last season for sure, and i wanted him off the team as much as anyone at that time. but he totally redeemed himself. he is not a problem. he also has the toughest job on the team babysitting smith who didn't even look like he belonged in the league in the chicago and anaheim series.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
can't believe i still have to defend quincey after his second half play and outstanding playoffs. guy was perhaps our best d-man in the playoffs last year. he was atrocious to start last season for sure, and i wanted him off the team as much as anyone at that time. but he totally redeemed himself. he is not a problem. he also has the toughest job on the team babysitting smith who didn't even look like he belonged in the league in the chicago and anaheim series.

I have a really hard time agreeing with that.

Quincey wasn't the worst defenceman but Kronwall, Ericsson, and Kindl were much better. You could also make arguments for Colaiacovo and DeKeyser when they dressed.

Johnz96*

We have 6 regulars on D returning from last year and you know there will be injuries and I think Holland wants another vet in the group. I think he would be a great fit for the Wings D but there is no cap space for his $4.25m/per yr. contract.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we want a defensive defenseman I'd rather just go for a guy like Ron Hainsey. UFA defenseman who could be signed without giving up assets, and is only looking for 1 or 2 year deal.

He was tied for 3rd in blocked shots in the entire league last year and plays big PK minutes.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
If they were to bring in Volchenkov they'd have to move Q, there'd be no other way to get under the cap. Other than maybe moving Franzen, which isn't happening. Where else are you going to get $3-4 mil in cap room? They have to buy out Sammy and probably dump Eaves and Tootoo as it is, and that's before adding another $4.5 mil salary.

I haven't seen him play enough lately to know if he has anything left, but on the surface, it doesn't seem possible or wise.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
If we want a defensive defenseman I'd rather just go for a guy like Ron Hainsey. UFA defenseman who could be signed without giving up assets, and is only looking for 1 or 2 year deal.

He was tied for 3rd in blocked shots in the entire league last year and plays big PK minutes.

I still don't know why nobody has signed Hainsey yet - maybe he has gotten offers but is holding out for a bigger one, or maybe he said something during CBA negotiations that the old boys' club didn't like and they're blackballing him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still don't know why nobody has signed Hainsey yet - maybe he has gotten offers but is holding out for a bigger one, or maybe he said something during CBA negotiations that the old boys' club didn't like and they're blackballing him.

Just like Cleary... hmm... player representatives from CBA negotiations:

Cleary - unsigned
Hainsey - unsigned
Campoli - unsigned
Burish - (signed before lockout)
Andy McDonald (retired)
Matheiu Darche (unsigned since 2012 summer)
Shattenkirk (re-signed)
Horcoff (traded)
Winnik (signed summer 2012 for 2 seasons)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just like Cleary... hmm... player representatives from CBA negotiations:

Cleary - unsigned
Hainsey - unsigned
Campoli - unsigned
Burish - (signed before lockout)
Andy McDonald (retired)
Matheiu Darche (unsigned since 2012 summer)
Shattenkirk (re-signed)
Horcoff (traded)
Winnik (signed summer 2012 for 2 seasons)

Parros was perhaps the most involved player, and Kevin Westgarth was intimately involved as well. Two pretty big leave offs of course both were traded this past season. But in particular Parros is a big miss, he will likely have a big job waiting for him in the NHLPA when his playing days are over should he want it. One of the more intelligent athletes in all of sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad