If Volchenkov is available, would he be an upgrade for our defense?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
We obviously need a defensive defensemen, years ago Volchenkov was coveted for his hard nosed style, but he's very injury prone. Could he be someone to go after? And if so, would you be comfortable with the possibility of Smith and/or DeKeyser sitting at times due to this?

Detroit Sports*

His cap hit was 4.5 mil last year and he is 31.And injury prone.Also a pretty dirty player that takes bad penalties.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Nope. Esp, not at that cap hit.

He is still physical, tough and solid on pk.

But can't handle the puck, slow, can't pass. And damn slow. Almost liability at ES.

Rather play the kids, who might even be better than him as Wings seem to like to go back to more of a puck possession style.

RedWingsNow*

He looked good in the playoffs a couple years ago. He's the kind of D we need. I'd rather move Quincey than sit Smith or Dekeyser.
I'd also sign Fistrict for depth

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He looked good in the playoffs a couple years ago. He's the kind of D we need. I'd rather move Quincey than sit Smith or Dekeyser.
I'd also sign Fistrict for depth

Same. I'm just trying to realistically think what might happen based on how similar situations have been handled in the past. Moving Quincey would be the absolute right choice.

RedWingsNow*

he's probably worse than quincey

What does Quincey give you?
Offense? Nope. 3 points in 36 games.
Grand total of 73 games since joining the wings 3 goals 7assists, 10 points

Anyone remember when I was comparing Quincey's stats to Kindl's stats last year and noting that if you took away powerplay time, Q was worst than just about every Red Wings defenseman in points?

How about Quincey's defense? 29 hits in 36 games. Only Smith and White were less physical.

Quincey's positioning isn't very good. He's not physical. He's not very good offensively.
What is he?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Same. I'm just trying to realistically think what might happen based on how similar situations have been handled in the past. Moving Quincey would be the absolute right choice.

realistically the Wings would probably have to move Quincey to fit Volchenkov under the cap anyways though

they already need at least a couple million more space than they have now as it is to even sign the RFAs

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Nope. Devils are trying to unload him for a reason. If the Wings are gonna acquire a 4M+ d-man he better be worth it. Volchenkov is not.

RedWingsNow*

Volchenkov had 10 giveaways in 37 games last year. That puts him 7th on Detroit
Ericsson 30
Kindl 30
Smith 27
Kronwall 21
Quincey 18
Lashofff 11
Volchenkov 10

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Nope. Devils are trying to unload him for a reason. If the Wings are gonna acquire a 4M+ d-man he better be worth it. Volchenkov is not.

the fact that he has 3 more years on that deal too is what really makes me nervous

even if he did okay next year he'd probably be a pretty big anchor by the end of it

RedWingsNow*

All that said -- given the amount of work still in front of Kenny -- trading in Q for Volchenkov is probably pretty low on a to-do list..

This jam up for veterans and prospects is exactly what happens when you don't make decisions as you go.

crashman

Nope. Get a legit upgrade or don't even both giving up any assets.

Seriously, I'd rather have Ryan Whitney.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Volchenkov had 10 giveaways in 37 games last year. That puts him 7th on Detroit
Ericsson 30
Kindl 30
Smith 27
Kronwall 21
Quincey 18
Lashofff 11
Volchenkov 10

Giveaways don't mean much imo.

Teams that have the puck a lot, give it away a lot. Same with individual players.

Volch doesn't have the puck much, so he doesn't have many giveaways.

also it's counted in weird way, every team counts them differently.

Lashoff had the best giveaway rating that is very telling imo.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would demand the Devils keep some of that cap. Listen if you can budget it in and know going in that he is a third pairing and PK stud guy now, that is fine. He is still quite good at that, and lucky we are moving to the slower conference where he already plays so, it wouldn't be the step up of the West for him.

But like I said the Devils would have to eat something and likely take Quincey back.On the list of priorities this is way down the list.

I just love that his eliteprospects page has an excellent skater, reminds me that once upon a time he really was. I think I would have done illegal things to get Volchenkov to the Wings 5 or 6 years ago.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Giveaways don't mean much imo.

Teams that have the puck a lot, give it away a lot. Same with individual players.

Volch doesn't have the puck much, so he doesn't have many giveaways.

also it's counted in weird way, every team counts them differently.

Lashoff had the best giveaway rating that is very telling imo.

Takeaway/giveaway could give a bit better comparisons.

Still not very valid, because puckmoving defencemen have most giveaways. Not a surprise, because they have the puck most of the time.

RedWingsNow*

Well, debunk the stats all you want.
I'm just supposed to believe what you say when you say Volchenkov is a terrible puckhandler?
Nobody is asking him to be Lidstrom.
Volchenkov's giveaways last year look good to what Andreas Lilja posted. And Volchenkov is nastier and tougher than Lilja was.
My only concern with Volchenkov's game is his skating

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well, debunk the stats all you want.
I'm just supposed to believe what you say when you say Volchenkov is a terrible puckhandler?

I don't debunk stats, generally. Just terrible stats.

You think Lashoff isn't terrible puckhandler?

Go read what Devils fans write about him if you don't believe me.

Detroit Red Wings giveaway leader last year: Pavel Datsyuk, at 38. Almost four times more than Abby. Emmerton had 2.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If we get our forwards settled, I'd likely do a Quincey - Volchenkov swap.

Volch + mid pick / decent prospect for Quincey makes sense for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad