If the Wings pick 3rd….

If the Wings pick 3rd, who do you take?

• Total voters

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Im taking Carlsson over fantalli if we're lucky enough to be in that situation. I question fantalli hockey IQ.
I didn't like what I saw vs Quinnipiac in the semi finals and I was not blown away by him at the world Juniors. Have to admit I didn't catch outside of those sceneries.

I did watch a lot of Carlsson his hands are incredibly silky he's big heavy and can still go right thru the opposition. Hes a strong playmaker something the team is in desperate need of. And he did it against fully grown professionals.

Ultimately we're staying pat at 9 so it's all academic.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Isn't picking 3rd like a 0.00001% chance for us? Anyway I think Carlsson is the choice at #2 so he'd be the choice at #3 as well if available.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Carlsson, I dont like to gamble with a 3rd pick for some Russian guy that is treated like a superstar in his home country and is signed there til the end of time...

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Someone explained it before.

If OTT (12th)wins the first drawing they would move up 10 spots and have the second pick. In that scenario ANA would get first.

DET then wins second drawing and gets third.

IMO. Not even worth considering.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Even if DRW get the 2nd pick it won't be Fantilli. He's an '04 October. Yzerman will pick an '05 kid with the only possible exception being Carlsson who's a late December baby. Seider/Raymond/Edvinsson/Kasper all born between Feb and April. Cossa only exception as a goalie and November kid. Dvorsky, Sale, Stenberg or Smith other options, but I'm going with Carlsson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Even if DRW get the 2nd pick it won't be Fantilli. He's an '04 October. Yzerman will pick an '05 kid with the only possible exception being Carlsson who's a late December baby. Seider/Raymond/Edvinsson/Kasper all born between Feb and April. Cossa only exception as a goalie and November kid. Dvorsky, Sale, Stenberg or Smith other options, but I'm going with Carlsson.
So Yzerman would draft a late birthdate kid at #15 overall but not #2 overall?

Why do we say definitive things like this?

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
So Yzerman would draft a late birthdate kid at #15 overall but not #2 overall?

Why do we say definitive things like this?
Stats don't lie. I hope SY bucks his own trend and get Fantilli. Larkin.Fant/Kasper down the middle would be pretty bad ass, but look at all his 1st round picks. 4/5 wings after new year. 5/7 TB picks. Late December and onward will be the age. It's not gonna happen with Fantilli under any circumstances since we won't get the #2 pick so why bother replying at all?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Stats don't lie. I hope SY bucks his own trend and get Fantilli. Larkin.Fant/Kasper down the middle would be pretty bad ass, but look at all his 1st round picks. 4/5 wings after new year. 5/7 TB picks. Late December and onward will be the age. It's not gonna happen with Fantilli under any circumstances since we won't get the #2 pick so why bother replying at all?
Because I think it's more of a coincidence than anything, and I don't know why we are acting like we know that is something Yzerman would or wouldn't do?

He drafted Cal Foote and Tony DeAngelo with his top pick when in Tampa and they were guys that had December and October birthdates FWIW

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

Sample of 5 where you remove 1 observation because it doesn't suit your narrative are not stats

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
He gives me big Draisaitl vibes.

I think there's some similarities. He doesn't have the swagger or cockiness that Draisaitl has, but how they attack from exterior to interior in the offensive zone there are a lot of similarities. Some of the one-timers he was taking from the right faceoff circle were very Draisaitl-esque.

Reactions: Astyanax

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
He gives me big Draisaitl vibes.
So you are saying when we win the second round of lotto pull and we take Carlsson over Fantilli, I should have absolutely no problem with it and not be upset about it?

Legit asking to set my expectations.

• Love
Reactions: Astyanax

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That wouldn't surprise me, either. There's always a bit of volatility with these first few picks. It only takes one team to go "off board" and suddenly you're picking Zadina at #6.

Based on what?

I would guess some teams will have Carlson at 2 and some teams will have Fantilli at 2. I imagine it would be pretty 50/50. On Bob’s mid season list he said 4/10 teams had Fantilli #2 and 3/10 had Carlsson #2 (other 3 going to Michkov).

Maybe "surprised" is too strong a word. I mean, surprises happen all the time in the draft, relative to expectations people set. But if you know these "surprises" are inevitably coming every draft, then I guess they aren't really surprises. In that way, no, Carlsson over Fantilli would not be surprising. But I expect Fantilli to go ahead of Carlsson. I think the things Fantilli does better than Carlsson (shot, first three steps, physicality) carry a little more value at the NHL level today than the things Carlsson does better than Fantilli (dangles, passing, possession). In the end, it's a small difference, we're splitting hairs, and I'd be happy with either one. But my current expectation is that Fantilli goes before Carlsson.

As far as Carlsson being more likely to go at #4 than #2, it's because of Chicago and Michkov. If Bedard goes #1, Fantilli goes #2, and Chicago is on the clock at #3.... I think Michkov is going to be awfully appealing. I believe Chicago is going to be content staying cratered for a few more years, collecting the highest picks they can get. So, 1) they won't mind Michkov being 3 years away, and 2) that might actually be a plus.... they can be more awful without him, and his absence can help them get better picks in the following years. Normally, I'd say this kind of thing is bordering on crazy, but Chicago is all in on tanking, stripping things down to the bone, and accumulating high picks. If there's one team where Michkov's negatives don't matter, it's probably Chicago. And with those negatives stripped away, is Carlsson really an obvious pick over Michkov?

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So you are saying when we win the second round of lotto pull and we take Carlsson over Fantilli, I should have absolutely no problem with it and not be upset about it?

It would be really silly to be upset about picking either. Neither is bust proof and both have really high ceilings.

Reactions: ricky0034

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The Hawks can have him. He won't be anywhere near the NHL for at least 3-4 years. And he's not a center, so at the top of this particular draft I wouldn't be considering him anyway, with three guys having comparable talent and better odds playing center.

I don't disagree. If I'm Detroit, I don't have Michkov in my top-3.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah I have said all year I’ll gladly take whichever of those 2 players you think is worse.

I think both of them would be #1 picks a in a good amount of other draft classes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad