If the NHL does NOT participate in 2022

If the NHL does NOT participate in 2022, which format do you prefer?

• Total voters

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I’m someone who saw a potential Stanley Cup vanish in a puff of smoke when Hasek’s groin popped at the 2006 Olympics.

I still want to see the NHL players there.

So I disagree pretty strongly.

You can do so, but I’m glad the league told the IOC to pound sand.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The current format heavily favours Russia. Having only amateurs heavily favours the USA because of the NCAA.

I think the most equal format would be U18.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
That's easy: let's move beach volleyball to the winter olympics as a compensatory measure, and that resolves everything. Let's bend backwards to a league and business enterprise that has been sabotaging international hockey, right?
Is beach volleyball, like hockey, an indoor sport?

If so, it might be a welcome transition!

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
While I love the pride of sending our best versus their best..... I can also 100% say that I enjoyed the Men's tournament 100%. The parity was insane. 8-goals was the highest goal differential of any game and neither of those teams even made the medal rounds. So many close games between countries you'd never expect to see keep it close. A 'underdog' in the finals, even if 'underdog' isn't as big as it would be with NHLers.
Ban sprinters who've run the 100 under 10 seconds from the Olympics. Ban high jumpers over 6 feet tall. Ban basketball players who've played in the NCAA. Allow skiers from alpine nations to use only one ski pole. The parity would be insane.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I would love to see the dollars the IOC has spent in the USA in the last 20 years. Because 99.999% of all monetary contributions to youth hockey in this country are coming from local teams, and USA hockey. The IOC isn't spending **** on growing hockey.
Why should the IOC spend money developing a sport in a country that has won Gold medals at that sport?

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
The NHL has a minor league system so I don't get why they don't utilize it during the Olympics and let the NHL players participate. Call up guys from the minors to fill vacant roster sports and you don't have to suspend the season for two weeks, problem solved.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
The NHL has a minor league system so I don't get why they don't utilize it during the Olympics and let the NHL players participate. Call up guys from the minors to fill vacant roster sports and you don't have to suspend the season for two weeks, problem solved.
No, that would not work at all.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
na decided to not participate... i know olympic is usually best on best, however if u make the conscious decision to not play for your country on a best on best event, the punishment is that you exclude urself from that competition and be considered "not the best" at least for a couple of years and that affects every individual who stayed in the nhl... obviously it hits the americans the most. to be considered as a top hockeycountry u need to win those tournaments over and over again... cant have both.... not showing up and be the best on a projection basis... it hurts icehockey in the long run too. this thread or the question of a format change shows that there is interest in olympic tournament despite not really competing in it.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The CHL, and equivalent leagues, would have to get on board, but I'd replace the u20 WJC with the Olympic tourney in Olympic years.

No thanks! I like my World Juniors right where it is. + No European hockey federation would agree to that! ever! not in a million years.

of course the NHL should be part of the Olympics, but if they don't see the value in it, they can keep it a Euro-Hockey Tour tournament, but the NHL and IIHF should work together to give us a REAL WORLD CUP. No Gimmicky teams, please. The top 8 ranked teams, 10 teams or 12 teams, I don't care, just drop the gimmicks.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
No thanks! I like my World Juniors right where it is. + No European hockey federation would agree to that! ever! not in a million years.

of course the NHL should be part of the Olympics, but if they don't see the value in it, they can keep it a Euro-Hockey Tour tournament, but the NHL and IIHF should work together to give us a REAL WORLD CUP. No Gimmicky teams, please. The top 8 ranked teams, 10 teams or 12 teams, I don't care, just drop the gimmicks.

I agree with this a proper World Cup that's televised would be amazing.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
No, that would not work at all.

Not when someone is an egotist intent on sabotaging Olympic Games because of $$$$$. Otherwise, it would work very well.

I agree with this a proper World Cup that's televised would be amazing.

Not when it's a pre-season tournament, though. A best-on-best international tourney must take place mid-season, like it or not. The NHL should stop pretending as if that pre-season exhibition Gimmick Cup were a legitimate "World Cup".

Reactions: varsaku

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
Not when someone is an egotist intent on sabotaging Olympic Games because of $$$$$. Otherwise, it would work very well.

Not when it's a pre-season tournament, though. A best-on-best international tourney must take place mid-season, like it or not. The NHL should stop pretending as if that pre-season exhibition Gimmick Cup were a legitimate "World Cup".

If the NHL won't even suspend its season for the Olympics then they most likely won't do it for another tournament.

Reactions: varsaku

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
This years system where everybody were free to participate, but NHL-players choose to not for financial reasons is the best format. Let everybody play who wants to play.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Donald Fehr proposed the following, here.

Say you play the Olympics in Year One, and Year Three you have a World Cup. Maybe in the other year you do a club championship across the Atlantic, and in the other year you do a special event. This year, for instance, is the 40th anniversary of the Canada-Russia series which has no equal in those countries. It’s like the Ryder Cup in golf, which was just made up, and went on to have enormous success. You are trying to build something the fans can identify with, associate with a club or team or country.

To be held in February. The IIHF would have their event, the NHL their World Cup, the KHL would not be limited by IIHF World Championship in May, so the KHL would be able to play until end/mid of May. And we would have some world club competition.

Reactions: Faterson

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
NHL players were offered a trip to Olympics in exchange of current CBA extension. NHLPA said no than you.
As they should have. What the NHL asked for is dramatically more valuable than what the NHLPA would have received in that exchange. Just because the NHL offered it doesn't mean it was a fair trade by any means. It was a blatant PR move by the league trying to paint itself as the "good guys," despite essentially trying to extort the NHLPA into a CBA extension by holding Olympic participation hostage.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad