IF the Leafs do not win the SC this year or next. Does Matthews want out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes, Mathews wants to play in Arizona for the Coyotes <-- I did not read back / I'm sure someone else already posted this.

I do NOT understand Matthews. How can he be a scoring beast in the regular season but shrivel up in the post season? It makes zero sense.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Doubt it, don’t think he really cares about winning. He likes the money and attention so I’m sure he’s happy where he is

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If he wants to go glory hunting, I think he waits until his contract expires.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If he left he would be taking a big part of the problem with him so what would be the point?

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Matthews is living the snowbird life. Work from October to April and then back to Arizona for May-Setpemebr. He's seems to have his priorities in order. Why change anything?

Reactions: JKG33

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He just signed a contract and it’s not like it’s for the full term. Plus, why would he want to leave just as Tavares’ contract comes off the books?

The premise is kind of questionable.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Matthews isnt surrounded by an awful team

He has a consistently good team. He consistently underperforms come playoffs

44 pts in 51 career games are Nazem Kadri numbers. Not good enough.

Leafs got to come out and play better as a unit game 2. Leafs are the better team on paper but they made poor mistakes and took careless penalties which cost game 1.

This series is far from over
The mismatch on D and goaltending says absolutely otherwise which team is better on paper. Toronto's forwards are great the rest is lottery team level. You cant win anything with that type of roster construction.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They’ve been losing plenty of times in playoffs before he he signed his new contract. He could of easily left last summer not wanting to sign a new deal

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Leafs just need to focus on winning one game, then one series. You almost never see a team win one playoff round for the first time in 8 or 9 years, then win the cup the year after.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Huh why would he want out? McDavid is actually preforming in the playoff

It's not like Matthews is scoring 30 pts through 3 rounds and still losing

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
They’ve been losing plenty of times in playoffs before he he signed his new contract. He could of easily left last summer not wanting to sign a new deal
I sometimes wonder what he wouldve been thinking if he did actually go home to AZ in the off season like all the HF insiders were saying would happen and then a few months later the news breaks about going to Utah.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Matthews, to me, seems like the kind of guy who gives lip service about wanting to win, but doesn't do anything to help it along, when the playoffs come around. I think he's happy being one of the best regular season players in the NHL and if things fall his way in the playoffs...great. He's got his big $$ and a team that will keep feeding him the puck. Life is good in Matthews-ville.

Last edited:

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
If the Leafs get swept this year, and have another 1st round exit next year then I could see it... But that is a big If... could say that about a few players on a few teams.

But saying they need to win a SC for him to want to stay is a bit ridiculous since he just signed an extension...

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Matthews joined the NHL a season after McDavid and both players have not had that much success in the playoffs and at the end of the day that will be how the players are judged. You gotta think if McDavid wants out of Edmonton due to lack of playoff success, Matthews can not be that far behind
I don't think the Leafs and Oilers are comparable in this sense. Leafs have won 1 round since Matthews has been there; Oilers have made a few trips to the 2nd round and a WCF appearance.

I'm not worried much about McDavid leaving. I think Drai might though. I don't know if Matthews leaves or not, but the core they have there might need another look if they aren't able to be competitive again.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It would be great if he did, he hasn't done shit in the playoffs, not ppg and going from .65gpg to .45gpg.

I wanted all of them put on the market last summer and if you could get equal/greater value for one of them, deal them.

Reactions: Sniper99

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Seeing as he signed a 4 year extension less than a year ago, probably not. He knows if the Leafs break through winning in Toronto is better than win inning in any other NHL city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad