IF the Leafs do not win the SC this year or next. Does Matthews want out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Matthews joined the NHL a season after McDavid and both players have not had that much success in the playoffs and at the end of the day that will be how the players are judged. You gotta think if McDavid wants out of Edmonton due to lack of playoff success, Matthews can not be that far behind

Reactions: yrrebbor

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He just signed an extension so no ? He and Nylander are probably the only save guys since they just got extended. Everybody else including coach and management should be up for discussion .

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I can't imagine he wants to keep losing like this. Theres only so much one player can do. It's sad that such an incredible player wastes his prime years like this. How you can't build a winner around a talent like this is absolutely pathetic. Look at that d and goaltending...

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I can't imagine he wants to keep losing like this. Theres only so much one player can do. It's sad that such an incredible player wastes his prime years like this. How you can't build a winner around a talent like this is absolutely pathetic. Look at that d and goaltending...
Most likely he doesn't want. But he also doesn't want to take the next step in the playoffs as well. I can't blame him honestly as the only thing you can't buy with his money is health.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If he wanted out why would he have re-signed a 4 year extension after losing in 5 games? Makes absolutely no sense. He could have left this summer as a UFA.

I think this is a bigger problem who signed as RFA’s who are becoming UFA’s for the first time (Draisaitl, McDavid). Matthews has already just re-signed as a UFA.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
He does not seem to have that burning desire to win a team championship, he is happy scoring goals and having fun, much like Kessel was. I do not think he even entertained moving to another team to win.
Good point.

Kessel was traded off for near minimal value at the start of the tank season that brought in Matthews.

Maybe the Leafs dump Matthews during the summer and tank for another 1st overall?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If he wanted out why would he have re-signed a 4 year extension after losing in 5 games? Makes absolutely no sense. He could have left this summer as a UFA.

I think this is a bigger problem who signed as RFA’s who are becoming UFA’s for the first time (Draisaitl, McDavid). Matthews has already just re-signed as a UFA.
Nice deflection this isn't about Edmonton. It's about Matthews being surrounded by an awful hockey team and him being tired of it.

Reactions: Sniper99

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Matthews joined the NHL a season after McDavid and both players have not had that much success in the playoffs and at the end of the day that will be how the players are judged. You gotta think if McDavid wants out of Edmonton due to lack of playoff success, Matthews can not be that far behind
"Lack of playoff success"?
McDavid has seen the 2nd round multiple times. Hell hes seen the 3rd round. Leafs havent seen the 3rd round since 2002.

Matthews isnt leaving. Jesus! Stop!

Reactions: 11Messier

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Does Matthews want out?? What the f*** have you seen in any of his playoff performances to think he cares about winning? He's happy as a pig in shit as long as he gets paid and can go hangout with Bieber.

That's like asking if your dog wants to run away because the carpet smells like shit, when he's the one who shit on the carpet in the first place.

A better question is do Leaf fans want Matthews and Co. out, to which the answer should be yes. It was for me years ago already

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Matthews is getting what he actually prioritizes - max contract and max free time.

The team with the longest playoff streak doesn't get the most time off...

Might want to look up the word "max".

Does Matthews want out?? What the f*** have you seen in any of his playoff performances to think he cares about winning? He's happy as a pig in shit as long as he gets paid and can go hangout with Bieber.

That's like asking if your dog wants to run away because the carpet smells like shit, when he's the one who shut on the carpet in the first place

A better question is do Leaf fans want Matthews and Co. out, to which the answer should be yes. It was for me years ago already

But what about Leafs fans?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Nice deflection this isn't about Edmonton. It's about Matthews being surrounded by an awful hockey team and him being tired of it.
Matthews isnt surrounded by an awful team

He has a consistently good team. He consistently underperforms come playoffs

44 pts in 51 career games are Nazem Kadri numbers. Not good enough.

Leafs got to come out and play better as a unit game 2. Leafs are the better team on paper but they made poor mistakes and took careless penalties which cost game 1.

This series is far from over

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Both McDavid and Matthews ought to head out to a team like... Utah? Why not.
It'd make perfect sense if McDavid wants out. Every year McDavid puts that sorry ass team on his back and they win a round or 2 all thanks to him and Drai.

But Matthews? Call him Casper the playoff ghost. Dude turns into a player worth no more than half his AAV every April

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He has zero dog/clutch in him
He's got a dawg in him, but it's more like one of those annoyingly yappy chihuahuas that you know you could punt to the moon. Or a timid labrador that's scared of its own shadow.

Matthews isnt surrounded by an awful team

He has a consistently good team. He consistently underperforms come playoffs

44 pts in 51 career games are Nazem Kadri numbers. Not good enough.

Leafs got to come out and play better as a unit game 2. Leafs are the better team on paper but they made poor mistakes and took careless penalties which cost game 1.

This series is far from over
I wanted to like this post until the bolded. The Leafs are not a better team at all. They're a bunch of bitchass bitches until proven otherwise

Reactions: stampedingviking
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad