If the cap goes up to $80-82 million next year, should we go after Tavares if he hits UFA?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Its very doable cap-wise

Next Season:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander <- 9.5 mil
Marleau-Tavares-Marner <- 17 mil
Soshnikov-Kadri-Brown <- 7.75 mil
Martin-Gauthier-Kapanen <- 4.5 mil

Rielly-Hainsey <- 8 mil
Gardiner-Zaitsev <- 8.5 mil
Dermott-Borgman <- 2 mil

Andersen + Backup <- 6 mil

+ Extra(s) <- 3.5 mil
+ Kessel <- 1.2 mil
+ Bonus Overage <- 4.5* mil

TOTAL: 72.5 mil <- PLENTY of Room to upgrade out D

Season After (if Marleau and Martin is traded):
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander <- 19 mil
Korshkov-Tavares-Marner <- 18 mil
Soshnikov-Kadri-Brown <- 8.5 mil
Grunstrom-Gauthier-Kapanen <- 5 mil

Rielly-_______<- 9 mil
_______-Zaistev <- 9 mil
_______-________<- 4 mil
Hard to say how our D will develop, but Borgman/Dermott/Liljegren etc will take some of those blanks.

+ Extra(s) <- 3 mil
+ Kessel <- 1.2

TOTAL: ~82.5 mil

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
No.

This is Matthew's/Nylander's/Marner's team. Taveres would ask for too much for too long term. He's simply not a fit here. Not when their are plenty of teams that could afford him, use him...and he would be "the guy"

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
No. Defensemen.
The problem is we can't guarantee if a top D is going to come up to UFA and sign with us. If we bank on Doughty and he resigns or signs somewhere else, we are left high and dry. 1Cs are so hard to find you gotta snap him up if he wants to be here at a fair cap hit. Matthews-Tavares down the middle is a 1-2 punch comparable to Crosby-Malkin and we know how that has turned out for the Pens.

Reactions: Kurtz

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Soshnikov

Bozak, JVR, Komarov allowed to walk/trades at deadline. Martin traded to the Islanders for a 4th Round Pick

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I would, his salary would basically replace JVR, Bozak and Leo (11.4m) and replace them with cheap rookies on ELCs

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Sosh - Kadri - Brown
Martin - goat - Leivo
Kapanen

If the right deal came along and we could swing Kadri+ for a top pairing Dman I would consider that and move Nylander to C.

We have tons of young fwds and you gotta figure we’ll have to make room for at least 1 of them:
Grunstrom
Korshkov
Johnsson
Bracco

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Tavares - Brown
Grundstrom - Nylander - Brown
Martin - goat - Sosh

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What percentage of league revenue do the Leafs represent? 10 percent? And, with a rebound in general of the Canadian teams, plus the Canadian dollar rebounding, the cap could keep going up in future years, so....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The answer is yes.
Then maneuver however necessary.
Bozak is gone. That's 4.2 of the total committed there.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think you are looking for discount at 9 Mil. I do not see him signing for less than 10.5 and 11 would not shock me. The Islanders will offer him huge money to stay and I have to think the Hab are ready to pounce with 8 mil in Cap in the bank already.

I'm torn on this one. I do see the appeal of the uber 1-2-3 punch but part of me is wary of being that tight against the Cap going forward and another part would rather see that money go to D. Will that type of D ever be available? I guess probably not.

That said we never get our guy in free agency so I would not get my hopes up.

The thing with hometown boys is you just never know what they're willing to do. I doubt we could ever convince Erik Karlsson to sign with us at a discount. But with Tavares, from Toronto and grew up a Leafs fan and can play for a Leafs team that is actually good and can have the star power to get a lion's share of the glory here? It's always possible to consider we might get him at a reasonable cost.

As for saving up for a defenceman, we can go for both Tavares in 2018 and Doughty in 2019. There are always ways to make it work. Besides, there's no guarantees we can even get one of them even if we tried, let alone both.

Reactions: Kurtz

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Reading some Isles commentary, their fan base seems pretty stoked about the probable rise in the salary cap too, seem to think it's now easier to re-sign Tavares...just pointing this out so this discussion isn't occurring in a vacuum.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
So what if if the cap goes up to 81m (it won't). Doesn't Nylander want more? Doesn't Matthews, Marner and other want more in 2019?. It isn't that suddenly you can overpay Tavares to have him come to the Leafs, and certainly doesn't mean you have more money to sign player in future years, relatively.
And I wish people would understand the cap. Leafs are going to carryover an estimated 5.5m carried over into next year. Leafs would prefer to have Horton's 5.25m on roster at the beginning of next season so they don't have to carryover 2018/19 bonuses into 2019/20 when they might really need all their cap to resign players coming off their ELCs and maybe Gardiner.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
No.

This is Matthew's/Nylander's/Marner's team. Taveres would ask for too much for too long term. He's simply not a fit here. Not when their are plenty of teams that could afford him, use him...and he would be "the guy"

It's possible that Marner or Nylander never becomes as good as Tavares. Seems the smarter move would be to take the opportunity when it comes to add a superstar #1 center for free.

And then we can let our brilliant management team worry about the cap.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It's possible that Marner or Nylander never becomes as good as Tavares. Seems the smarter move would be to take the opportunity when it comes to add a superstar #1 center for free.

And then we can let our brilliant management team worry about the cap.

I'm ok with taking that chance.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would rather allocate that kind of salary to a comparable talent on the blueline, where we need it more.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah sounds great to me, get JT, trade Mitch and whatever for a 1D, easy stuff. Let's get it done. Oh wait we have crap taxes and what not. Another American advantage, go Canada, making our pro sports leagues less competitive.

Though I have been told players incorporate etc and all pay very little taxes by using legal loopholes.

Someone needs to do honest research into this.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If we can get Tavares, then we get him. If that means moving other pieces that might get expensive, or if we lean on our forwards more and let the defense share responsibility can be figured out later.

Precisely. There's no downside.

If Marner or Nylander doesn't become a superstar, we still have superstars in Matthews, Tavares and whoever of Marner/Nylander becomes one.

If Marner and Nylander both become superstars, now we have 4 superstar forwards.

And we can still go after Doughty in 2019, and if we have to make trades to fit Doughty under the cap, then we make that move at that time. I don't think people realize how flexible you can bend to fit under the cap intelligently.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Well if you are playing Leaf GM, I'll play JT's agent.

"A one year deal?".......click

Any agent that doesn't listen to the full details of a deal or follow the wishes of his or her client would likely be short on work. Only Tavares knows what he is willing to give up for winning a cup. It's extremely rare a elite player in their prime takes a short deal, but it has happened.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Yes, if he takes a bit of a discount...

I honestly don't think Marner/Nylander/Matthews will get as much as some anticipate...

Matthews: 10.5x8
Tavares*: 9x8
Nylander: 6x6
Marner: 6x6

Marleau 6.25
Kadri 4.5
Hyman 2.5
Brown 2.1
Soshnikov 1
Leivo 0.925
Kapanen 0.863
Gauthier 0.7

Rielly 5
Zaitsev 405
Gardiner 4.05
Hainsey: 3
Borgman: 0.925

Andersen 5

Kessel 1.2

= 74 mil (2019/2010 since Marner and Matthews won't get paid until then)... and 8 + mil for for another Dman + backup + 3 extras.... Al

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Soshnikov-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Gauthier-Kapanen

Those are very conservative numbers for a $75M cap. If the cap goes up 10%, you would have to think the big 3 will also command more.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Its very doable cap-wise

Next Season:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander <- 9.5 mil
Marleau-Tavares-Marner <- 17 mil
Soshnikov-Kadri-Brown <- 7.75 mil
Martin-Gauthier-Kapanen <- 4.5 mil

Rielly-Hainsey <- 8 mil
Gardiner-Zaitsev <- 8.5 mil
Dermott-Borgman <- 2 mil

+ Extra(s) <- 3.5 mil
+ Kessel <- 1.2 mil
+ Bonus Overage <- 4.5* mil

TOTAL: 72.5 mil <- PLENTY of Room to upgrade out D

Season After (if Marleau and Martin is traded):
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander <- 19 mil
Korshkov-Tavares-Marner <- 18 mil
Soshnikov-Kadri-Brown <- 8.5 mil
Grunstrom-Gauthier-Kapanen <- 5 mil

Rielly-_______<- 9 mil
_______-Zaistev <- 9 mil
_______-________<- 4 mil
Hard to say how our D will develop, but Borgman/Dermott/Liljegren etc will take some of those blanks.

+ Extra(s) <- 3 mil
+ Kessel <- 1.2

TOTAL: ~82.5 mil

Plenty of room. But I'll note that Komarov, our best PKer, is sticking around.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Yes, if you want to win a cup, you get the best players in the world and you have to pay for them; then, you get the best supporting cast you can afford after that.

Tavares was my favorite player in the NHL before Matthews came along AINEC.

Tavares has Toews like character to me.!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad