Speculation: If Tavares Doesn't Want to Re-Sign...

SI

Feb 16, 2013
As a thought experiment - let's see
Arizona
Keller C/LW
Crouse LW
Chychrun LD
2018 #1

Tampa
Palat LW
Sergachyev LD
2018 #1

Ottawa
Chabot LD
White C
2018 #1

Columbus
PL Dubois
Seth Jones

Or
Dubois
G Carlson
Anderson
2018 #1

These probably all stink -

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Personally I think Ottawa would be the best fit should we choose to trade him. They have a great prospect pool and are a contending team in need of a star C.

Chabot + Brown + White + ?

(Obviously I really hope he re-signs though)

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I would love to not trade him within the conference,but if it comes to that you hope to get several key pieces and hope those teams overpay

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
As a thought experiment - let's see
Arizona
Keller C/LW
Crouse LW
Chychrun LD
2018 #1

Tampa
Palat LW
Sergachyev LD
2018 #1

Ottawa
Chabot LD
White C
2018 #1

Columbus
PL Dubois
Seth Jones

Or
Dubois
G Carlson
Anderson
2018 #1

These probably all stink -

That is the type of haul you could get last summer. This summer it would require a fully pre-signed JT to swing these. The Ottawa one would be my choice out of these.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The trade offers I saw from other fans were pretty good. Of course it's all just fan trades. Really it depends on how badly JT wants to screw us. If he doesn't want to negotiate with a new team, it will lower his trade value even more. If JT is absolutely dead set on testing free agency we are up the brown creek with no paddle.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
First you fire snow and get a new GM. Snow is the reason he isnt signing, if snow built top ten teams every year like the rangers do, tavares wouldnt be leaving. You dont let the guy who caused the problem be the one who gets to do the trade. and any player you trade for asume they dont want to be here, asume they will leave asap, and tell the team you need a conversation with that player before the trade because you cant do another kirk muller or vanek.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The value of Tavares with 1 year remaining vs Tavares willing to sign extend with the team he's traded to is drastically different.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The value of Tavares with 1 year remaining vs Tavares willing to sign extend with the team he's traded to is drastically different.

Exactly. No team is giving up three blue chip prospects for one season of Tavares.

Judging his value is actually difficult in any case because there's not much to compare his situation to. When is the last time an elite player was dealt? Marian Hossa (when the Pens acquired him from Atlanta)? Joe Thornton?

Recent "big name" moves include Kessel and Nash, but neither are quite on Tavares' level, so it's not quite the best comparable. Even trades of young guys like Seguin to Dallas or Johansen to Nashville aren't quite comparable since neither guy was on Tavares' level at the time of the trade (whether one can argue Seguin's there now, he wasn't at the time).

So which of those deals above actually brought back some of the packages that are listed in this thread? Johansen arguably returned the "best" player, but it was a straight 1 for 1 deal. The others returned "quantity" rather than "quality".

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I'll tell you what, even if JT can be signed, for that haul from Arizona, I would be very tempted to take Keller, Chychrun, Crouse and their first rounder, which I assume would be middle of the pack at best and could be a lottery pick.

I am a BIG fan of Keller and Chychrun. I advocated hard last year to move up a few spots for Chychrun (or Kunin) or to go all in and try to get up even further for a Jost, Keller or top defender. Even if it took two firsts+ to move from #19 to the #7-10 range.

I would love to see Keller paired with Bellows and maybe Ho-Sang in a year or so to form a young, talented and loaded line. Their skills would compliment each other spectacularly. With Keller a playmaker and scorer, Ho-Sang's playmaking and skating plus Bellows shot and tenacity.

As long as Chychrun's knee injury isn't career threatening, he is a fantastic foundation piece for the defense. I could see him and Pulock meshing very well as the second pairing behind Leddy and either Boychuk or perhaps Pelech. If Pelech meshes well with Leddy, then maybe Boychuk plays with Toews. A bit less minutes might help keep Boychuk healthy. And that defense is dirt cheap, beyond Leddy and Boychuk, with Chychrun, Pulock, Toews, Pelech and presumably some mix of Mayfield, Salo or the AHL kids bringing depth and numbers. Losing CdH wouldn't be so bad. And maybe CdH is traded for a player or premium draft pick.

Crouse, maybe he is on the third line at either RW or LW, and centered by Beauvillier with either MDC or Bailey on the other side. It would depend on the strides MDC makes over the coming season and if Bailey is extended.

The fourth line of Bailey, Cizikas and Clutter is solid and versatile. Bailey can essentially play anywhere.

The first line is presumably Lee, Barzal and Eberle.

Obviously the top-3 centers lack experience and are a bit undersized. But with the Isles first rounder, Calgary's two picks and Arizona's first in a deep draft, plus anything from trading CdH, they could probably put together a package to add a vet center to hold down the #1 spot. That could shift someone like Beauvillier, Keller or maybe even Barzal to wing until they grow into the role. Duchene, maybe? With Cizikas also getting some more responsibility.

And the Isles would still probably have picks and prospects in the pipeline to keep adding. But I can't see Arizona doing that unless JT agrees to an extension and that is extremely unlikely.

But get me a package like that, with 3-4 premium assets that fit in with the timeline for Barzal, Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, Bellows, MDC, Pulock, Toews, Soderstrom, Sorokin and the rest of the kids, and I would be able to live with JT and CdH leaving.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Do we trade him? To whom? For what?

You want Wennberg straight up? Cost controlled #1C. Obviously not as good but it's easier to stomach that than a package deal.

I don't know if the Jackets would do it though - they'd need a sign-and-trade and plans worked out for when the bill comes due next year. They'd have to give up another player next year to stay under the cap.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't see JT getting dealt, but if so Buffalo kind of makes sense. Tons of young players/prospects (even ROR) to get back in a deal. Near JT's home. Another Tavares starring in Buffalo. But not going to happen IMO.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
if he is not signed by training camp you have to hear the offers on him, and if something is really good you are making a deal, to sit on him and watch him leave for nothing in July or get a less return in March is a very bad thing for the future of this team

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
First you fire snow and get a new GM. Snow is the reason he isnt signing, if snow built top ten teams every year like the rangers do, tavares wouldnt be leaving. You dont let the guy who caused the problem be the one who gets to do the trade. and any player you trade for asume they dont want to be here, asume they will leave asap, and tell the team you need a conversation with that player before the trade because you cant do another kirk muller or vanek.

yea sure it is Snow, it is not the awful arena, the awful commute, the lack of fans and all the other things that are making the Islanders a 2nd or a 3rd rate organization

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
if he is not signed by training camp you have to hear the offers on him, and if something is really good you are making a deal, to sit on him and watch him leave for nothing in July or get a less return in March is a very bad thing for the future of this team

Losing Tavares period is a very bad thing for this team. A pick and a prospect isn't going to make a difference. You have to sign JT.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I would look to Buff and try to build a deal around Eichel.

I would be very surprised if Buffalo would move Eichel, even if JT was willing to sign with them. But I would take a package of RoR (to offset some money) and Reinhart for JT, Nelson, MDC, etc.

JT gives them a power pairing at center with Eichel and they need LWs badly, since they only have Kane as a legit LW and most of their top young players and prospects are natural RWs. With Larsson they also have a solid 3C so playing Reinhart out of position on the wing in the top-6 doesn't make much sense. They are wasting an asset.

The Isles can play RoR and Reinhart as their top-2 centers, let Barzal start as a 3C and grow slowly, then shift Beauvillier to LW to make up for losing a player(s) like Nelson, MDC or whatever it takes to balance out the trade.

The Isles are deep at LW (Lee, Ladd, Beauvillier, etc.) so they could even move two pieces there if that is what it takes. But Buffalo might want a defenseman. Not sure if CdH could be moved yet. Or if he would sign an extension with Buffalo to make it worth their while either.

The Isles also don't really know what they have in the kids right now. They would probably need to add a stabilizing vet in order to part with CdH. But there are potential matches with Buffalo since they have center's and need LWs and defense.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The biggest problem I see in this thread is most of the suggestions are for futures and prospects. If we trade Tavares now, I only do it if it is for two NHL pieces that individually are not as good as JT, but combined would keep us in nearly the same position of competitiveness.
Examples would be: Pacioretty + Galchenyuk, Palat + Tyler Johnson, Bozak or Kadri + Van Riemsdyk. These kinds of packages and I could live with it. I am not interested in trading JT for anything non-NHL, no minor leaguers, no prospects, no draft picks.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

yes yes yes :handclap:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
TIf we trade Tavares now, I only do it if it is for two NHL pieces that individually are not as good as JT, but combined would keep us in nearly the same position of competitiveness.

Not gonna happen. Trade Tavares now and we're not making the playoffs for 5 years.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I think the best value would come from someone (like Washington) who is desperate for a Cup and would highly value an elite one year rental.

hb6947

Hooked Since '78
Nov 18, 2003
Bellmore, NY
The biggest problem I see in this thread is most of the suggestions are for futures and prospects. If we trade Tavares now, I only do it if it is for two NHL pieces that individually are not as good as JT, but combined would keep us in nearly the same position of competitiveness.
Examples would be: Pacioretty + Galchenyuk, Palat + Tyler Johnson, Bozak or Kadri + Van Riemsdyk. These kinds of packages and I could live with it. I am not interested in trading JT for anything non-NHL, no minor leaguers, no prospects, no draft picks.

I agree...Any trade for Tavares has to bring back a somewhat proven, high end offensive player. That is why I proposed Eichel.

That said, this is a deal for this summer. Waiting till the deadline will not get a great return because teams dealing then don't give up key pieces of their roster.

In response to ROR, I don't think he can carry this team offensively in place of Tavares. Plus I'm not of the thought that the team is giving to get if Tavares is involved.

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
I swear, it's like some fans WANT him to leave.

What more does this man need to say? As long as he gets a market value offer, which he will, there is nothing to worry about.

I get that its August though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad