Proposal: If OEL is Available (Signed Through 2019) Do We Offer?

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
if the cost of OEL is too high we should really try and work out something for hanifan from carolina. however i would gladly move both bellows and mdc along with a first and CdH. OEL makes us dangerous in both ends for once. I wish we could add a G too but thats very very unlikely.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
id love to make a move for OEL, adding a dman who can put 20 goals up a season should really make us a contender, plus he eats a ton of minutes. id give up anything but brazal and ho sang,

CDH
Dal Colle
toews
bunch of picks

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If OEL was extended and the yotes wanted futures.
I’d offer ‘19 1st + ‘20 1st + de Haan or a prospect not named Barzal or Ho-Sang

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
M
A true #1 defenseman
Is it worth it to offer DeHaan (salary offset . . . OEL earns $5.5), Ho-Sang? Something else?

Arizona is going nowhere this year and may well be drafting Dahlin as his replacement

He is a ufa in 2019, so under the cha rules he cannot sign an extension until July 1st 2018.

He will cost a lot to acquire and I would hope the isles would hold off on making a big offer until he can sign an extension.
Fans who regularly watch OEL and western conference games keep posting he had a rough 2016-2017 and after the recent death of his mother is having a rough 2017-2018.
I am a bit leery of giving up top assets only to get a struggling or disinterested OEL,who would need to be signed on his terms.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Usually kind of adverse to these types of trades, but there are only 3 teams in the NHL this year that are bad that are going to be sellers for a long stretch, Florida (no dmen to acquire), Buffalo (Ristolainen is not being dealt) and Arizona.

The way I see it, Arizona is going to be bad for a number of years, they need to get multiple players, would Nelson, Pulock and the Calgary pick get this trade done?

We can endure without Nelson as he is now the 3rd line LW and you have mix and match a bottom 6 of JHS, Beau, Cizikas, Quine, Clutter and Chimera with Prince as the extra.

Pulock needs to be somewhere where there is no pressure so he could turn it around in Zona...

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
any defenseman not named Leddy
any prospect not named Barzal
3 of 4 of this years top pics

Hosang, Dehaan, better of this year's two 1st, worser of this year's two 2nd...maybe add the 2nd 2nd rder if they swap either a 2nd or a 3rd rder

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
any defenseman not named Leddy
any prospect not named Barzal
3 of 4 of this years top pics

Hosang, Dehaan, better of this year's two 1st, worser of this year's two 2nd

I think we have to give them an established player like Nelson, can be sold that Isles have 6 top forwards and Nelson really belongs in another team's top 6, I don't deal JHS in this trade because if we lose Bailey and JT next year, we will have Bernier in our top 9 in 18/19

OEL would put us in great position,

Lee/JT/Bailey
Ladd/Barzal/Eberle
Beau/Quine/JHS
Chimera/Cizikas/Clutter

Leddy/Boychuk
OEL/Pelech
CDH/Mayfield

We let Beau and JHS stay and develop as Nelson becomes Jane of the desert

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Usually kind of adverse to these types of trades, but there are only 3 teams in the NHL this year that are bad that are going to be sellers for a long stretch, Florida (no dmen to acquire), Buffalo (Ristolainen is not being dealt) and Arizona.

The way I see it, Arizona is going to be bad for a number of years, they need to get multiple players, would Nelson, Pulock and the Calgary pick get this trade done?

We can endure without Nelson as he is now the 3rd line LW and you have mix and match a bottom 6 of JHS, Beau, Cizikas, Quine, Clutter and Chimera with Prince as the extra.

Pulock needs to be somewhere where there is no pressure so he could turn it around in Zona...
FWIW, any deal of a 1st round pick this year has to include some kind of qualifier where you protect a lottery pick. This Dahlin kid is so good that you cannot take the chance that you trade him away, even if it's only a ping pong balls' chance (see Phila last year).

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
FWIW, any deal of a 1st round pick this year has to include some kind of qualifier where you protect a lottery pick. This Dahlin kid is so good that you cannot take the chance that you trade him away, even if it's only a ping pong balls' chance (see Phila last year).

It can be tricky, Calgary does not look like a playoff team, so maybe we just deal out first round pick, OEL is worth it. Watched him carefully tonight, he is just surrounded by a team full of garbage outside about 4 other players, he clears the zone well, besides the other great things he does. The Coyotes GM is a stat junkie, Nelson looks much better on paper than on ice

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
These trade offers probably infuriate Arizona just like each teams "If Tavares is available" posts on their own boards.

I guess I can play along though.

It's going to take Nelson or JHS as a start, a very poor start. It'll definitely involve 1 or 2 1st round draft picks. It's also going to involve Pulock or de Haan. That's a stiff price, but it's also the reality. I'm not really interested in paying it. I'd rather wait and see how Toews, MVS, Aho round out first.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
It can be tricky, Calgary does not look like a playoff team, so maybe we just deal out first round pick, OEL is worth it. Watched him carefully tonight, he is just surrounded by a team full of garbage outside about 4 other players, he clears the zone well, besides the other great things he does. The Coyotes GM is a stat junkie, Nelson looks much better on paper than on ice
I hear you and am very much on board with going after OEL if he is available and suggested it a while back (summer time?). I'd just want to build in some kind of protection clause if we're dealing a 1st round pick - like give us the option of which 1st round pick they get. God forbid we give up some huge package including a pick that turns into Dahlin - that's all.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
These trade offers probably infuriate Arizona just like each teams "If Tavares is available" posts on their own boards.

I guess I can play along though.

It's going to take Nelson or JHS as a start, a very poor start. It'll definitely involve 1 or 2 1st round draft picks. It's also going to involve Pulock or de Haan. That's a stiff price, but it's also the reality. I'm not really interested in paying it. I'd rather wait and see how Toews, MVS, Aho round out first.
This is different than the "if Tavares is available" since OEL is going to UFA soon and AZ has the worst record in the league and an owner looking to keep payroll down. Trading OEL might be the best thing they can do for themselves.

As for waiting for Toews, etc. to round out, those guys are probably going to be 2nd or 3rd pairing defensemen. OEL would be a legit #1 defenseman who would move every other defenseman down 1 slot on the depth chart. Think of Leddy as your 2nd pairing LH defenseman. The impact would be huge all the way down the D roster.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I hear you and am very much on board with going after OEL if he is available and suggested it a while back (summer time?). I'd just want to build in some kind of protection clause if we're dealing a 1st round pick - like give us the option of which 1st round pick they get. God forbid we give up some huge package including a pick that turns into Dahlin - that's all.

I actually think the prospect of that pick being higher would be a gamble that Arizona would succumb to.. in order to lower our package

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I actually think the prospect of that pick being higher would be a gamble that Arizona would succumb to.. in order to lower our package
There's more than one way to lower your package. But point taken - that could lower the price and then you cross your fingers.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
There's more than one way to lower your package. But point taken - that could lower the price and then you cross your fingers.

A brutal gamble, but Isles can't afford to trade JHS or Beau in the deal, as we would be wiped out if JT and Bailey sign elsewhere.

I think the lottery balls have hurt teams in other sports in the past like Basketball... that is how the Spurs became a super team... they got Tim Duncan #1 when they already had David Robinson

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This is different than the "if Tavares is available" since OEL is going to UFA soon and AZ has the worst record in the league and an owner looking to keep payroll down. Trading OEL might be the best thing they can do for themselves.

As for waiting for Toews, etc. to round out, those guys are probably going to be 2nd or 3rd pairing defensemen. OEL would be a legit #1 defenseman who would move every other defenseman down 1 slot on the depth chart. Think of Leddy as your 2nd pairing LH defenseman. The impact would be huge all the way down the D roster.

I still fail to see how that conclusion is reached. They are the worst team in the league, which means they are about to get a lot of good cost controlled young players in the near future. Paying a guy like OEL should be the least of their concerns and at least ensure they will get to the minimum salary. I don't think Arizona is as bleak as folks are making it out to be. They still have some young players that can blossom and the chance at a number 1 they could have the best 1-2 punch on defense in the league if Dahlin reaches his potential.

The only thing you could argue is the OEL might want to leave for a better situation, but that's exactly equal to JT considering both are unsure where they could be playing!

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If OEL is indeed available - you need to move one of De Hann or Pulock, a 2018 1st and one of Nelson or JHS. Isles need to provide some young high end talent in return and JHS will look dynamic with Keller on the same line. If this is too much for Isle to give, Isles can ask one of their B+ prospect or a 2nd round pick in return to balance.

I will keep Pelech because I see his game will progress further and he is mentally tougher than a lot of the other young D on this team.

If they bring up Barzal you can forget about this trade.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If OEL is indeed available - you need to move one of De Hann or Pulock, a 2018 1st and one of Nelson or JHS. Isles need to provide some young high end talent in return and JHS will look dynamic with Keller on the same line. If this is too much for Isle to give, Isles can ask one of their B+ prospect or a 2nd round pick in return to balance.

I will keep Pelech because I see his game will progress further and he is mentally tougher than a lot of the other young D on this team.

If they bring up Barzal you can forget about this trade.

Your package is exactly what I posted as the probable take, but I still think we say no way if Barzal is brought up in the trade and AZ says no way if Barzal isn't brought up. I think if OEL becomes available it would be scary if the Leafs get him. That would boost them into definite cup contention. Probably would be some kind of Marner + small add swap for OEL. Leafs should do that and not think twice a nd I think AZ would be equally happy with Marner.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I still fail to see how that conclusion is reached. They are the worst team in the league, which means they are about to get a lot of good cost controlled young players in the near future. Paying a guy like OEL should be the least of their concerns and at least ensure they will get to the minimum salary. I don't think Arizona is as bleak as folks are making it out to be. They still have some young players that can blossom and the chance at a number 1 they could have the best 1-2 punch on defense in the league if Dahlin reaches his potential.

The only thing you could argue is the OEL might want to leave for a better situation, but that's exactly equal to JT considering both are unsure where they could be playing!
In a perfect world they would keep OEL for the reasons you stated. But, first, it's kind of a "where there's smoke there's fire" situation with the OEL rumors that have been floating since the summer. And, you have to take ownership and AZ's situation into account. What we may do if we were owner/GM and what they may want to do are different things. In their situation, if it is unlikely they are going to want to pay OEL what it will take to keep him, do they keep him and let him walk or do they trade him and stockpile?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Was that what I was supposed to get from the article? Because I'm pretty sure I got the opposite impression (granted I skimmed it rather than read it from start to finish).

I don't know how to embed a tweet so I linked the TSN discussion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad