Proposal: If OEL is Available (Signed Through 2019) Do We Offer?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Makes DeHaan available for trade if we desire

Takes pressure off Leddy as both a PP QB and can play against the other team's best line

Sends a positive message to JT on the direction of the team

A true #1 defenseman

-----

Is it worth it to offer DeHaan (salary offset . . . OEL earns $5.5), Ho-Sang? Something else?

Arizona is going nowhere this year and may well be drafting Dahlin as his replacement

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
Zero interest at the price he would command.
He's a very good player, but mostly as a PP QB who hasn't exactly progressed very well the last two seasons.
If he were a true top-tier #1D, ARI would not be in the position they are.

Not to say I am not interested in OEL as a player, but he's regarded as a top 10-15 D (which I don't like he is) and teams will be offering out the nose for him.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Zero interest at the price he would command.
He's a very good player, but mostly as a PP QB who hasn't exactly progressed very well the last two seasons.
If he were a true top-tier #1D, ARI would not be in the position they are.

Not to say I am not interested in OEL as a player, but he's regarded as a top 10-15 D (which I don't like he is) and teams will be offering out the nose for him.

75 goals in the last 4 years on that team isn't 'progressing' enough for you?

He is DEFINITELY a Top-15 defender in this league. Eats up 24-25 minutes per game for the last 5 years.

Here's his link to the advanced stats if anyone wants to highlight the good and bad of those:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/ekmanol01.html

How many teams can really offer more than we can to Arizona? Columbus? Toronto?

Reactions: islesfan3991

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I guess they can flip de Haan in that sense or try and sign him long term, could be good for them either way.

Leddy-Boychuk
OEL-Mayfield
Pelech-Pulock

I dig it.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
If hes available there no reason not to inquire. I like some of our prospects like Toews and Aho in system so I dont think the isles should make over-payment but no reason not to see what the ask is with CDH an UFA this year

Reactions: IODCPiper

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Where would he slot in?

Move Nelson+ for him? It would create two 2nd lines. For argument's sake, let's say we trade Nelson, Kulemin (roster spot), NYI 1st for Turris and a 4th.

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Turris-Ho-Sang (when he comes back)
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Quine (when he comes back healthy)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I asked this question a while back and was shot down that OEL wouldn't be available. However, it's really not that crazy a thought since AZ is not good and he's going to be a UFA before they are good.

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
75 goals in the last 4 years on that team isn't 'progressing' enough for you?

He is DEFINITELY a Top-15 defender in this league. Eats up 24-25 minutes per game for the last 5 years.

Here's his link to the advanced stats if anyone wants to highlight the good and bad of those:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/ekmanol01.html

How many teams can really offer more than we can to Arizona? Columbus? Toronto?

First - I think he's a great player, but not an elite #1D. #1D? Sure. But he should not be confused with Doughty, Karlsson, Hedman, Weber, Pietrangelo and this tier...
He has 75 goals the last four seasons but the last three seasons, that number steadily decreased. That is not progress it's regression. And he hasn't had the same type of defensive development that a lot of people expected - that's what I was getting at with that comment.

Today, I would take McDonagh, Letang (healthy), Werenski, Gostisbehere, Slavin, Karlsson, Hedman, Karlsson, Weber, Pietrangelo, Subban, Josi, Keith, Suter, Doughty, Vlasic, Lindholm and Giordano over OEL. Obviously that list is different from person to person and he does have age working in his favor...

He had a bad year last year (by #1D standards). That's not just me saying it - this is a link to an article from Five For Howling, A Coyotes blog, similar to Lighthouse hockey. https://www.fiveforhowling.com/2017...ekman-larsson-jason-demers-niklas-hjalmarsson

The price for him would probably be Barzal, Pulock and two firsts.. There are teams that would certainly match/beat that and if you're going to go for broke on a trade for a #1D, I'd aim for someone different.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I'd rather offer both 2018 1sts, Bellows, and one of the BPT d-prospects (let them pick).

JHS is a stud and we're going to want him on the Island.

Last edited:

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
This is part of what I posted on the trade board in regards to OEL. I compared Duchene's return to come up with a comparable package for OEL.

"This is what Duchene fetched:
  • Defenseman prospect Samuel Girard, Nashville’s 2016 second-round pick
  • Forward prospect Vladislav Kamenev, Nashville’s 2014 second-round pick
  • Forward prospect Shane Bowers, Ottawa’s 2017 first-round pick
  • Goaltender Andrew Hammond
  • 2018 first-round pick from Ottawa*
  • 2018 second-round pick from Nashville
  • 2019 third-round pick from Ottawa

That's two former 2nd round picks, a recent first round pick, and 1st+2nd+3rd round picks in the next two drafts. That's quite a haul, but none of those assets individually are equivalent to Barzal. You're looking at entirely futures and no one is giving up their best pieces (e.g. White, Brown, Tolvanen, etc. were not available from NSH/OTT). This is one thing Avs fans couldn't comprehend for years leading up to the Duchene trade and now we're going to have it again with OEL. You simply won't get a guy like Barzal for an upcoming UFA, even if it's two summers away and his name is OEL. It just doesn't happen and the Duchene trade is only more proof of that.
This would be the comparable offer with increased draft pick value from the NYI for OEL:
  • Defenseman prospect Parker Wotherspoon, NYI’s 2015 fourth-round pick
  • Forward prospect Otto Koivula, NYI’s 2016 fourth-round pick
  • Forward prospect Kieffer Bellows, NYI’s 2016 first-round pick
  • Defenseman Calvin de Haan
  • 2018 first-round pick from Calgary
  • 2018 first-round pick from New York Islanders
  • 2018 second-round pick from Calgary
NYI definitely have a lot of futures assets that could be moved for a guy like OEL."

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I would gladly move futures for OEL, I think if on a better team he would flourish. He was a borderline Norris candidate when the Coyotes were a playoff team. He would do wonders for us.

CDH/Pelech + futures (have to move at least one D body out).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If OEL truly becomes available, the Isles should be among the top contenders, because:

They're in the other conference.

And not sure what it would take, but they can start a package with CDH and a 1st and 2nd round pick and not even feel it.

And to fill it out, if necessary they could add JHS/Beauvillier and still have the one that's left.

If necessary they could add a prospect not in the NHL and still have plenty of depth.

There is no true #1 NHL defenseman on the roster or in the pipeline, so it fills the biggest organizational need.

The JT situation may provide extra incentive.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm really hesitant to let go of our first rounders in 2018. It's supposed to be a very deep draft.

I realize win now mode, but we lack high end talent now in our prospect pool (everyone is graduating). My point is...lets keep our picks and make a trade using what we have now. It's not like we don't have the currency to pull it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad