If not Stevens then...

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I would actually take Bruce Boudreau if he becomes available (not unlikely).

He's good at getting the most out of players offensively. If you're trying to develop the offensive game of young players you couldn't really ask for anyone better. Guys like Kempe, Vilardi, Iafallo, Amadio, Brodz, Pearson, Toffoli he could help take the next step.

He would make a good bridge coach while we reload IMO.

Regarding his playoff shortcomings. Did Washington stop choking after he left? No. Same thing in Anaheim. So does he really deserve the choker label? Maybe he just got those teams to overachieve...

Also, BB has never really coached a team like LA. Kings have defense indoctrinated in them and a goaltender who's good when facing high shot volume. Combine that with Boudreau's offensive knack and you might have something.

On top of all that. His teams are always fun and entertaining during the regular season. When was the last time we had a fun entertaining regular season?

Last edited:

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I would actually take Bruce Boudreau if he becomes available (not unlikely).

He's good at getting the most out of players offensively. If you're trying to develop the offensive game of young players you couldn't really ask for anyone better. Guys like Kempe, Vilardi, Iafallo, Amadio, Brodz, Pearson, Toffoli he could help take the next step.

He would make a good bridge coach while we reload IMO.

Regarding his playoff shortcomings. Did Washington stop choking after he left? No. Same thing in Anaheim; they got worse and choked again. So does he really deserve the choker label? Maybe he just got those teams to overachieve.

Also, BB has never really coached a team like LA. Kings have defense indoctrinated in them and goaltender who's good when facing high shot volume. Combine that with Boudreau's offensive knack and you might have something.

On top of all that. The his teams are always fun and entertaining during the regular season. When was the last time we had a fun entertaining regular season?

Lol, and BB is a closet Kings fan too. but I don't think he'll be available.

Tippett would be a solid pick up. But I like Gulutzan too. Last year, the Flames were one of the best possession teams and scoring chances teams in the league. Check out this heat map of shots:
CGY

CGY

Compare these to the Kings:
L.A

L.A

It's possible Gulutzan could bring the more offensive system that the Kings are looking for, while bringing something similar defensively.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Is there a coach that preaches D but can also allow for a creative offense. Or do you need to compile a great D Corp first in order to let your scorers break free. The 2012 Kings D perhaps imagine them with the group of forwards we have compiled.

It’s not really a system thing with the Kings, there just isn’t very much talent at forward.

Toffoli and Pearson have shown time and time again that they are never going to be the type of players that many of us hoped.

Yes, Carter returns full time next year and adds 30 goals, that certainly helps but no way Kopitar and Brown combine for 65 again.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Tippett would be the worst. He has done s nice job of making the teams he has been with do nothing and left them worse off than before he was there. Doesn't really matter as Blake will not be making a coaching change for at least 3 years.

this

tippett is 10 times worse than sutter ever was with young players and stifles them to the point of breaking them

Reactions: go4hockey

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think you people are overlooking our next coach ahl reign coach Mike Stothers and its plain and simple as to why. He has coached all our younger players and know what to do to put them in the best position to succeed and if this team is going to take that next step we need our younger players to step up.

This right here. I thought he's get the nod over Stevens after Sutter was canned.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976
Jun 30, 2006
I didn't know this but he's actually a Jets assistant coach now too :laugh:

Ugh, please don't remind me. Nice guy, though.

He’s been a pretty successful assistant. His stint at Portland Winterhawks was good, I don’t think he should have been fired but they were bringing Johnston back no matter what.

He deserves a shot somewhere just not in LA. I actually think our next HC needs to have a successful track record as a HC.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think it matters who the coach is.

The players have to want to win again. That takes tremendous sacrifice and emotional investment in each and every game.

I don't think Coaches can (coach) any of that.

An NHL coaches biggest impact is putting the players into the correct situations to succeed based on skill set. A coach can't make a player care about what he is doing, or care about team-mates, or care about winning.

From all the bitterness coming out of the Kings players about Sutter, they sure did play hard for him and climbed the mountain for each-other (Twice)

Last edited:
Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Stevens is the choice of these players. If he has to go at some point, a flock of them should go with him.

Reactions: Vamos Rafa

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Stevens is the choice of these players. If he has to go at some point, a flock of them should go with him.
Wow where the hell do u get this idea from? When Stevens resigned it was a with the understanding that he would replace Sutter when it was time for him to step down or was fired. He even got some kinda different title which indicated he was next inline. This was all done by Dean and had nothing to do with the players. I think Blake and Luc went thru with the previous regimes agreement with Stevens Is Stevens more respected by the players sure but was it up to the players to pick there next coach ridiculous to think that imo. However u doom and gloom people sure can come up with the theories i give u that much lol

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Wow where the hell do u get this idea from? When Stevens resigned it was a with the understanding that he would replace Sutter when it was time for him to step down or was fired. He even got some kinda different title which indicated he was next inline. This was all done by Dean and had nothing to do with the players. I think Blake and Luc went thru with the previous regimes agreement with Stevens Is Stevens more respected by the players sure but was it up to the players to pick there next coach ridiculous to think that imo. However u doom and gloom people sure can come up with the theories i give u that much lol

Really? I had no idea Lombardi quit on Sutter, just like he quit on Murray in 2012.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
wtf are you going on about now It was a deal done for when Sutter retired or got fired or was simply let go However Sutter left Stevens was garrented to take over had nothing to do with players wanting him
You aren't very in touch if you don't know Stevens is exactly the coach these players wanted after Sutter.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
You aren't very in touch if you don't know Stevens is exactly the coach these players wanted after Sutter.
Well we both have the same thought about each other because you have no idea what ur talking about because this decision was made when Stevens was resigned. The players liking him had little to do with it Management made the decision when they decided to resign Stevens years ago. Sutter was contemplating retiring and Stevens was looking at getting offers to be a head coach elsewhere. They gave him a special new title associate coach which put him higher then assistant coach and not quite a head coach. Think however you want * lord know neither of us will agree. However the decision on who would replace Sutter was made long before Sutter was fired. It was made by Kings management when they resigned Stevens or he was gone to another team to be a head coach period.

Reactions: Legionnaire

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Tippett would be the worst. He has done s nice job of making the teams he has been with do nothing and left them worse off than before he was there. Doesn't really matter as Blake will not be making a coaching change for at least 3 years.

To quote Kylo Ren "Let the past die".

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I don't think it matters who the coach is.

The players have to want to win again. That takes tremendous sacrifice and emotional investment in each and every game.

I don't think Coaches can (coach) any of that.

An NHL coaches biggest impact is putting the players into the correct situations to succeed based on skill set. A coach can't make a player care about what he is doing, or care about team-mates, or care about winning.

From all the bitterness coming out of the Kings players about Sutter, they sure did play hard for him and climbed the mountain for each-other (Twice
)

It was post 2014 his style got old and started to wear on the guys. He started playing favorites messing with guys heads. He turned scores into checkers and gave guys with no skill top minutes because they were good soldiers. Dwight King had no business ever being on the top line.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I was a pretty big Sutter guy, and I think he is going to re-surface somewhere down the line to take over a team in a similar situation as the 2012 Kings were. But he absolutely lost the team (probably in Spring 2015) and should have been fired way sooner than he was. He clearly played favorites, remember the time in a tight playoff race and the Kings down late in the game he sent Kyle Clifford in as the extra attacker?

Even if they didn't want to fire him one year after winning the cup, they could have easily justified it in 2016 after the way they collapsed and lost the division on the final night of the season to a non-playoff team playing out the stretch and then got crushed and embarrassed by the Sharks in the playoffs.

He is basically a modern day slightly nicer version of Mike Keenan, he will get you results but has about a 3-4 year shelf life at best.

Darren

May 13, 2018
Alberta
Anyone else think we are being too hard on Stevens? We got rid of Sutter because he couldn't adapt to the new NHL. I think Stevens needs at least one more season. And despite everything, we saw lots of good things with the Kings this season like resurgence of Brown, Kopitar bounce back season. We are changing our style, trying to keep our possession game while becoming more offensive. The young guys are taking a bit of time to get there, I for one think next year is going to be the telltale of the Stevens era.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone else think we are being too hard on Stevens? We got rid of Sutter because he couldn't adapt to the new NHL. I think Stevens needs at least one more season. And despite everything, we saw lots of good things with the Kings this season like resurgence of Brown, Kopitar bounce back season. We are changing our style, trying to keep our possession game while becoming more offensive. The young guys are taking a bit of time to get there, I for one think next year is going to be the telltale of the Stevens era.

I agree he deserves at least one more season. But if next season the Kings lose in less than 7 games in the first round or they don't make the playoffs, we have to look at other options...whether rebuild, new HC or both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad