If NHL Arizona moves to SLC next season, AHL Tucson will.....

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Sounds like Meruelo would keep majority of (NHL) business side folks by moving AHL affiliate to Mullett.

But that would mean that all the Tucson biz folks are SOL.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Funny, I was just thinking about what would happen in the AHL. I figured they'd keep Tuscon for a year but this is quite funny.

I'd imagine they get moved to Idaho long term. I think Boise could easily move up from the ECHL to the AHL. They did have Utah's G-League basketball team outta the same arena for a while
I could see that as well, I could see the ECHL finding it's way to Tuscon in the long term if an owner would turn up.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
These morons found a way to screw over two fanbases simultaneously. Bravo.
blame the AHL for the direction of having the NHL owning/operating franchises since the creation of the AHL Pacific, most of that can be blamed on the LA Kings and San Jose ownerships for not having arenas in place before transferring franchises..... Arizona had a 2 year option to buy Tucson and relocated it

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
blame the AHL for the direction of having the NHL owning/operating franchises since the creation of the AHL Pacific, most of that can be blamed on the LA Kings and San Jose ownerships for not having arenas in place before transferring franchises..... Arizona had a 2 year option to buy Tucson and relocated it
Not sure what the arena argument has to do with anything, and you're incorrect anyway. Ontario most certainly had an arena, the ECHL team began play in 2010, and San Jose played in the NHL rink until their arena was built. The announcement of the new arena construction was in January 2020, 5 years after the team first moved to San Jose.

Reactions: JKG33

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
sounds like all the AHL has to do is approve the transfer of Tucson from Arizona/AM ownership as a dual owner/operator to AM being the sole owner of the Roadrunners.... it sounds like Utah will retain the PDC w/ the Roadrunners independent of the arena location whether it's the TCC OR Mullett (currently yr 8 of the lease @ TCC)

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Some discussion here about the things standing in the way of the Road Runners going to Mullett. They note that the lease is only for the Coyotes at Mullett and ASU and the group running the arena do want to do other things.

I don't get why there's such an eagerness to make this move. I could see if they want to play some games there, but why anger more of your fanbase than you already are?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I could see that as well, I could see the ECHL finding it's way to Tuscon in the long term if an owner would turn up.
The only way that the ECHL comes to Tucson is if they take a page from the IFL and have two or three teams in Arizona for travel purposes. Ain't no way anyone is driving from Utah or Lake Tahoe, nevermind elsewhere, just for a weekend series with Tucson.

Reactions: Roadhog

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't get why there's such an eagerness to make this move. I could see if they want to play some games there, but why anger more of your fanbase than you already are?

Bottom line, not fan satisfaction the only criteria?

On recent 32 Thoughts and/or the Jeff Marek show podcasts (and others), one speculation is that he might be able to hold on to gambling license (due to owning a pro team). (Although apparently it wasn't very lucrative.)

Another is that he may need to have some staff to help with the youth hockey programs started. Also keeping the fire burning by holding on to trademarks with active entity.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bottom line, not fan satisfaction the only criteria?

On recent 32 Thoughts and/or the Jeff Marek show podcasts (and others), one speculation is that he might be able to hold on to gambling license (due to owning a pro team). (Although apparently it wasn't very lucrative.)

Another is that he may need to have some staff to help with the youth hockey programs started. Also keeping the fire burning by holding on to trademarks with active entity.
None of that has anything to do with relocating the AHL team though

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What is known right now….

Moving the Roadrunners from Tucson up to Mullett (ASU) is going to require getting over multiple hurdles:

- There’s two years left on the lease with the TCC. Early out costs $3 million dollars and 180 days advanced notice.

- The Coyotes lease at Mullett has one year left paid up front. However….. the lease specifically states it’s for an NHL team. A new lease would have to be negotiated with ASU and need approval by the AZ Board of Regents. Could take many months.

The pros and cons of moving from Tucson to Mullett.

- Mullett is smaller in capacity (could go up to 5000 for AHL, NHL overhead had kept it down to 4600), but it has 22 suites (TCC has none) and superior ice system.

- Keeps Phoenix Metro involved with pro hockey, but at the cost of sacrificing Tucson. So the possibility of enraging a second fanbase is there. In addition to the political damage Meruelo has already created for himself.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
EASIEST Solution now the Coyotes are 'inactive' ; extend or start discussions w/ OVG to keep Tucson @ TCC past 2025/26.... doesn't have to be immediately since u have 2+ seasons but sometime next season the arena lease becomes a major piece in the future of the sport in AZ.... Independent of if/when the Coyotes return

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad