If NHL Arizona moves to SLC next season, AHL Tucson will.....

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Funny, I was just thinking about what would happen in the AHL. I figured they'd keep Tuscon for a year but this is quite funny.

I'd imagine they get moved to Idaho long term. I think Boise could easily move up from the ECHL to the AHL. They did have Utah's G-League basketball team outta the same arena for a while

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
I'd imagine they get moved to Idaho long term. I think Boise could easily move up from the ECHL to the AHL. They did have Utah's G-League basketball team outta the same arena for a while
That's not how it works

Reactions: JMCx4

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Can you tell us which ones? JKG33 is right...that's not how it works
Utah, Ontario, Bakersfield, Manchester, San Diego, Peoria, Charlotte... f*** there's been a bunch.

I realize it's not as simple as moving a team up/down, but a lot of teams have done it. I could see Idaho being the next one

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Funny, I was just thinking about what would happen in the AHL. I figured they'd keep Tuscon for a year but this is quite funny.

except.... Idaho is whose affiliate..... Dallas..... who has their AHL Affiliate in Cedar Park, Texas.... AHL Bylaws prevent such until Smith sells the Roadrunners if this deal goes through because Arizona owns Tucson(which the AHL Granted as a sideline deal when the current ream in Abbotsford, BC was born in Worcester, MA after relocating from Springfield, MA (Remember, AHL League offices are in West Springfield, MA)..... In other words, 2 AHL Affiliates are not allowed unless Dallas sells Texas....

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
except.... Idaho is whose affiliate..... Dallas..... who has their AHL Affiliate in Cedar Park, Texas.... AHL Bylaws prevent such until Smith sells the Roadrunners if this deal goes through because Arizona owns Tucson(which the AHL Granted as a sideline deal when the current ream in Abbotsford, BC was born in Worcester, MA after relocating from Springfield, MA (Remember, AHL League offices are in West Springfield, MA)..... In other words, 2 AHL Affiliates are not allowed unless Dallas sells Texas....
If SLC buys the Roadrunners, nobody is going to stop them from moving the team to Boise. The AHL won't care as Boise is close enough to Colorado, Calgary, Abbotsford, and the Cali teams. And Dallas isn't going to stand in the way, I don't think they own the ECHL team anyway. I don't think you understand how these affiliates work

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If SLC buys the Roadrunners, nobody is going to stop them from moving the team to Boise. The AHL won't care as Boise is close enough to Colorado, Calgary, Abbotsford, and the Cali teams. And Dallas isn't going to stand in the way, I don't think they own the ECHL team anyway. I don't think you understand how these affiliates work
if this deal goes through..... they already own the Roadrunners just as Arizona has since 2014.... they had a 2 year option from private ownership to buy it.... that's why Tucson exists and has since 2014 as part of the creation of the Pacific Division.... it has nothing to do w/ Idaho or the Steelheads because I was there when the Pacific was created and when the AHL left Manchester, Worcester and by 2015 Springfield's new ownership acquired the AHL Franchise based in Portland.... it's also why none of the Northern New England markets are there and only Springfield/Hartford/Providence/Bridgeport remain from that transfer..... please research the AHL Pacific Division and its history......

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
if this deal goes through..... they already own the Roadrunners just as Arizona has since 2014.... they had a 2 year option from private ownership to buy it.... that's why Tucson exists and has since 2014 as part of the creation of the Pacific Division.... it has nothing to do w/ Idaho or the Steelheads because I was there when the Pacific was created and when the AHL left Manchester, Worcester and by 2015 Springfield's new ownership acquired the AHL Franchise based in Portland.... it's also why none of the Northern New England markets are there and only Springfield/Hartford/Providence/Bridgeport remain from that transfer..... please research the AHL Pacific Division and its history......
Once again I have no idea what you're even arguing

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Once again I have no idea what you're even arguing
you have zero clue how the AHL OR ECHL Works...... Were you here in this forum when the AHL Pacific Division was being discussed behind the scenes back in 2014 when SJ/LA decided they were ready to shift operations to CA..... WHICH affected both leagues..... since when has Idaho ever said or Steelheads ownership ever said they wanted the AHL instead of being one of the stable members of the ECHL

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
you have zero clue how the AHL OR ECHL Works...... Were you here in this forum when the AHL Pacific Division was being discussed behind the scenes back in 2014 when SJ/LA decided they were ready to shift operations to CA..... WHICH affected both leagues..... since when has Idaho ever said or Steelheads ownership ever said they wanted the AHL instead of being one of the stable members of the ECHL
I understand how it works, and lurked this forum back then too. If the AHL wants it to happen there's not much the ECHL can do.

I believe there were a few rumors about Boise being a potential landing spot for Seattle's AHL team.

But I'm sure you'll keep going with the rambling nonsense

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I understand how it works, and lurked this forum back then too. If the AHL wants it to happen there's not much the ECHL can do.

I believe there were a few rumors about Boise being a potential landing spot for Seattle's AHL team.

But I'm sure you'll keep going with the rambling nonsense
that's all there were rumors, not facts./speculation....

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Utah, Ontario, Bakersfield, Manchester, San Diego, Peoria, Charlotte... f*** there's been a bunch.

I realize it's not as simple as moving a team up/down, but a lot of teams have done it. I could see Idaho being the next one
Utah is still in the ECHL

Manchester went from AHL to ECHL

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Like I said, teams moving between the AHL and ECHL. Utah was once upon a time in the AHL

I have no idea what's so complicated here
Utah has different ownership than the Jazz and Ryan Smith..... that franchise was returned and sold to Cleveland, the current Columbus affiliate..... all that's different is the name/history.... just as Maine returned to its original name when the ECHL Came here because Comcast owns the franchise.....

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Utah has different ownership than the Jazz and Ryan Smith..... that franchise was returned and sold to Cleveland, the current Columbus affiliate..... all that's different is the name/history.... just as Maine returned to its original name when the ECHL Came here because Comcast owns the franchise.....
The Utah Grizzlies moved from the AHL to the ECHL. Im not sure what that has to do with Ryan Smith. Once again I have no idea what we're arguing. I understand they're technically different franchises when moved between leagues. I'm suggesting Idaho follow the same route as Ontario, Bakersfield, San Diego, Stockton, etc. It's really not a hard concept to follow

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Utah Grizzlies moved from the AHL to the ECHL. Im not sure what that has to do with Ryan Smith. Once again I have no idea what we're arguing. I understand they're technically different franchises when moved between leagues. I'm suggesting Idaho follow the same route as Ontario, Bakersfield, San Diego, Stockton, etc. It's really not a hard concept to follow
no they didn't it's two separate franchises...... the AHL version originally was relocated from Denver, just like Manitoba was bought out of BK from Minnesota when the Stars went to Dallas and before the Wild returned to Minnesota.... when COMSAT bought the Nordiques from Quebec and placed them in the now Ball Arena, the Grizzlies landed in Utah.... when the IHL was merged into the AHL in 2001.... Utah was affiliated w/ Dallas, the Islanders (before Bridgeport) and their final season Arizona... they filed a suspension notice after 2006.... and the IHL/AHL Grizzlies WERE SOLD to Cleveland ownership and have been either Lake Erie or Cleveland since 2016.... Grizzlies ownership then bought an ECHL franchise and retained the name and history of that version that currently exists today as the the Avalanche/Eagles ECHL Affiliate.... even the Eagles had to surrender all rights to the ECHL franchise when Colorado brought them up to the AHL .

Ontario's ECHL franchise hasn't existed since 2019... it's why LA doesn't have an affiliate..... Bakersfield's team was sold by Edmonton and Anaheim bought the AHL Norfolk deanchise which is why there's a Ducks affiliate in San Diego.... Stockton wasn't the 1st place Calgary tried either.... which is why the Flames constantly relocated it from Saint John, NB (now a Q City), Omaha, QC, Abbotsford, Stockton, and now Calgary has their affiliate in the same arena as the Flames.... which is detailed on the Flames board and/or elsewhere.... much of this is economic driven and the professional direction the AHL Has chosen to go the last decade.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
no they didn't it's two separate franchises...... the AHL version originally was relocated from Denver, just like Manitoba was bought out of BK from Minnesota when the Stars went to Dallas and before the Wild returned to Minnesota.... when COMSAT bought the Nordiques from Quebec and placed them in the now Ball Arena, the Grizzlies landed in Utah.... when the IHL was merged into the AHL in 2001.... Utah was affiliated w/ Dallas, the Islanders (before Bridgeport) and their final season Arizona... they filed a suspension notice after 2006.... and the IHL/AHL Grizzlies WERE SOLD to Cleveland ownership and have been either Lake Erie or Cleveland since 2016.... Grizzlies ownership then bought an ECHL franchise and retained the name and history of that version that currently exists today as the the Avalanche/Eagles ECHL Affiliate.... even the Eagles had to surrender all rights to the ECHL franchise when Colorado brought them up to the AHL .

Ontario's ECHL franchise hasn't existed since 2019... it's why LA doesn't have an affiliate..... Bakersfield's team was sold by Edmonton and Anaheim bought the AHL Norfolk deanchise which is why there's a Ducks affiliate in San Diego.... Stockton wasn't the 1st place Calgary tried either.... which is why the Flames constantly relocated it from Saint John, NB (now a Q City), Omaha, QC, Abbotsford, Stockton, and now Calgary has their affiliate in the same arena as the Flames.... which is detailed on the Flames board and/or elsewhere.... much of this is economic driven and the professional direction the AHL Has chosen to go the last decade.
LA is affiliated with Greenville.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I read Arizona would get an AHL team in Mullett arena. But... as for Tuscon, I think it'd be wise to keep the AHL team there and maybe Salt Lake City if they decide to get another AHL team maybe they'd give Boise a try if not Tuscon.

Or they keep Tuscon, until Arizona gets a team back (as so they say) and do Idaho later. I mean, it's wise to grow the game anyway.

Reactions: TheLegend

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
I read Arizona would get an AHL team in Mullett arena. But... as for Tuscon, I think it'd be wise to keep the AHL team there and maybe Salt Lake City if they decide to get another AHL team maybe they'd give Boise a try if not Tuscon.

Or they keep Tuscon, until Arizona gets a team back (as so they say) and do Idaho later. I mean, it's wise to grow the game anyway.
The rumor is Tucson moves to Mullett Arena. There isn't an available franchise for there to be a team in both Tempe and Tucson.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
That's interesting. Tough for SLC being at the mercy of what Arizona wants to do. But until the NHL returns to AZ, a SLC-AZ affiliation does make sense geographically at least.

Tough for the AZ fans too

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad