If Jakub Kindl beats out XO and Marchenko for a roster spot...

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I can't make up my mind about this. Too many factors.

First, not that I think it will happen with Kindl, but he wouldn't be the first guy to pull himself together somewhat out of the blue. Its possible that all the rumors surrounding his future motivate the hell out of him and he has a monster camp that forces everyone's hand.

Second, are we saying that Kindl legitimately beats out the kids? Or that he's put on the roster undeservedly?

Third, will we know the parameters of this decision if Kindl makes the squad? Is it a "this is your last chance" kind of scenario? Are there a few suitors at the beginning of the season who want to ensure that Kindl is still NHL game quality before trading their coveted 7th rounder for him?

Seems hard to say all around.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We need a rebound season from Kindl to get his trade value back. So we have to play him. Currently, his value is zero, and doesn't change anywhere before the season starts.

If we want to see a trade, we have to move somebody with value, and that's Smith.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I can't make up my mind about this. Too many factors.

First, not that I think it will happen with Kindl, but he wouldn't be the first guy to pull himself together somewhat out of the blue. Its possible that all the rumors surrounding his future motivate the hell out of him and he has a monster camp that forces everyone's hand.

Second, are we saying that Kindl legitimately beats out the kids? Or that he's put on the roster undeservedly?

Third, will we know the parameters of this decision if Kindl makes the squad? Is it a "this is your last chance" kind of scenario? Are there a few suitors at the beginning of the season who want to ensure that Kindl is still NHL game quality before trading their coveted 7th rounder for him?

Seems hard to say all around.

The answer to all is the cap hit.

Kindl makes more money(and Smith will), therefore they will be on the roster.

Ouellet and Marchenko will/would be sent down if they have waivers. Jensen will be lost on waivers unless Holland covered him up enough, and Pulkkinen will be on the team because he has no more waivers.

Wavier exemption is the end of a players development for the DRW. Make or break.

We need a rebound season from Kindl to get his trade value back. So we have to play him. Currently, his value is zero, and doesn't change anywhere before the season starts.

If we want to see a trade, we have to move somebody with value, and that's Smith.

I'd be fine with that, move Smith. Get the best offer.
in fact, stop Kindl, see if anyone offers a pick.

Hell, move Quincey too if anyone offers something ok.

Point is, move out the old bring in the new.

If the new suck, the at least you know what you have.

And if the streak ends, so be it, they'll be better in the long term for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It means that Kindl had a good camp, I mean he played amazing after his treatment from Blash

If Kindl does play bad at the start of the season though, That just says something about XO and ouellet, and that our future is dead. Unless Mrazek can Carey Price it

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He will not, Jensen is not special in any sort of way, Lashoff is better then him, and Younger and Lashoff didnt get claimed.

Lashoff isn't better than him and if you don't think Jensen's skating is special that is very surprising. Not sure he would get claimed, but the guy is a much better hockey player than Lashoff, not really debatable.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Lashoff isn't better than him and if you don't think Jensen's skating is special that is very surprising. Not sure he would get claimed, but the guy is a much better hockey player than Lashoff, not really debatable.

Management seems to think so, 117 NHL games. Compared to what, Jensen has 0 i think?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Management seems to think so, 117 NHL games. Compared to what, Jensen has 0 i think?

I'm mildly intrigued by how they will handle Jensen. Holland has a track record of giving guys roster spots to prevent them from being put through waivers, at least until there is a real roster crunch and the need to send a scrub down.

Jensen is your right handed "offensive" defenseman - in the Detroit sense, which means he may eventually threaten to score 20 points in a full season. At a bare minimum he'll be given every chance to stay on the roster, even if that ultimately results in him gaining a spot in the press box.

Our defense is flat out atrocious and while he may not be as fully developed as Ouellet or Marchenko, he does have the potential to "Lashoff" himself a short NHL career at Jakub Kindl's expense. Kindl must have some very damning info on Holland, it's the only way to explain his long, overpaid and pathetic career in Detroit.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not a Kindl fan, but I will say this...

He's one of the few defenders we have that I actually enjoy when he shoots the puck from the point. Basically Kronwall and Kindl. That's about it. The rest of them are just like watching pucks get launched from a ball machine and you hope it somehow bounces in.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Not a Kindl fan, but I will say this...

He's one of the few defenders we have that I actually enjoy when he shoots the puck from the point. Basically Kronwall and Kindl. That's about it. The rest of them are just like watching pucks get launched from a ball machine and you hope it somehow bounces in.

It's literally the only thing Kindl does right on a consistent basis.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

You're comparing apples and oranges. Lashoff was fortunate in that the stars aligned to allow him to get a bunch of NHL games at a specific time, notice he hasn't been in the NHL in a while. Not only is he not in the NHL, he's not even the 1st call-up despite his 117 games of experience. The call-ups are Marchenko and Ouellet. If Jensen had been at his current skill level at the time that Lashoff was getting NHL games, then Jensen likely would have been the one getting the call-up.

Actual Thought*

Kindl being on the roster could mean that they want him sitting the bench while their prospects play and get better?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You're comparing apples and oranges. Lashoff was fortunate in that the stars aligned to allow him to get a bunch of NHL games at a specific time, notice he hasn't been in the NHL in a while. Not only is he not in the NHL, he's not even the 1st call-up despite his 117 games of experience. The call-ups are Marchenko and Ouellet. If Jensen had been at his current skill level at the time that Lashoff was getting NHL games, then Jensen likely would have been the one getting the call-up.

Marchenko and Ouellet are better then Lashoff, A holland flaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad