If it's not Jack Campbell who should be the Leafs new #1 goalie?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Good to know there are only two Dubas fanboys. I'm going to turn a new Leaf and watch this play out. Not promising I won't lose it if he makes another stupid deal like the Murray deal. LOL.
Hey I'm not set in my opinions on Kyle. But right now I have no praise to give him and I'm not about a regular season banner. The last end of season press-conference just left a bad taste, An arrogant bunch who reward failure and talk about being future legends

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Even after that trade certain posters are trying to make It sound like Dubas did a good job. Why can’t people just say Dubas made a bad trade. Some posters will not put any fault on Dubas and everything he does it great. I don’t understand no GM is perfect so why can’t you admit he made a mistake?

I think the idea in this scenario is that any move can be seen as a mistake, including this one.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's nice to have a moral compass for this forum
Another sarcastic quip. I have to say, I admire your persistence and consistency. No worries, I can't help but be a fan of someone with the Tuttle moniker (though I miss your old avatar). :)

Good to know there are only two Dubas fanboys. I'm going to turn a new Leaf and watch this play out. Not promising I won't lose it if he makes another stupid deal like the Murray deal. LOL.
See that's the thing. People like you have labelled this a stupid deal which is well, stupid.

Regular season
246 games
.911 SV%

Playoffs
51 games
.921 SV%

Those numbers are more than solid. Now of course there is bad news as well. His play over the last few years not being so good in one, and his injury history is another. So let's take these one at a time.

1)
Last season was actually pretty good (after two bad ones) and if the last game he played hadn't been a complete disaster (8 goals against), his numbers for the season would actually be quite impressive. So the recent history for him isn't bad at all.

2)
Injury history is an obvious concern but from the sounds of it, we did about as much due diligence here as could possibly done so assuming that another injury riddled season is forthcoming seems like a clear mistake.

Oh yeah, Murray also has been a big part of 2 cup wins, nice!

Murray is a gamble, no question. But there would be risk involved no matter what goalie we got. Maybe a 5 year term for Campbell/Kuemper would become an anchor, maybe someone like Gibson would cost a ton of assets and he'd never return to form, there would be risk no matter who we got.

Maybe this gamble will pay off and maybe it won't but deciding today that this was a dumb move is a thoughtless decision seemingly prompted by blind Dubas hate and for the time being, the smart money is sitting on the sidelines.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Jack is not worth 5x5... I can see why we soured on him at that price.

There was risk in every goalie situation and Dubas had to choose. We can tell from the leaked offers to campbell that term was #1 on Dubas list of ‘must haves’. He didn’t want term.

Now, how are you going to get a FA goalie with low AAV and low term? Not a lot of options. I’m sure if jack would have gone with 2 years he would still be a maple leaf, but he’s not gonna do that, and he shouldn’t do that.

MAF would be a maple leaf if he didn’t re-sign, at that term and cap.

There’s just no obvious deal on the table that doesn’t come with risk, including the Murray deal. I don’t like the trade, wish we got more, but I can see that anything Dubas does here Carrie’s considerable risk.

I happen to blame it all on the players choking against the habs. That’s what put us in this situation without any playoff success.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hey I'm not set in my opinions on Kyle. But right now I have no praise to give him and I'm not about a regular season banner. The last end of season press-conference just left a bad taste, An arrogant bunch who reward failure and talk about being future legends
That I fully understand. I didn't watch it but from what I heard, it was pretty gross. Oh look, we found some common ground. :)

Good to hear that you're not set in your opinions on Kyle, that's not the impression I've got from your posts over the last few months. But that's understandable I guess, I certainly don't read everything posted here. But yeah he says some cringeworthy things at times and I wish he'd keep his mouth shut more often.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

But what would you have him do? This goalie thing just stinks wherever I look

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Another sarcastic quip. I have to say, I admire your persistence and consistency. No worries, I can't help but be a fan of someone with the Tuttle moniker (though I miss your old avatar). :)

See that's the thing. People like you have labelled this a stupid deal which is well, stupid.

Regular season
246 games
.911 SV%

Playoffs
51 games
.921 SV%

Those numbers are more than solid. Now of course there is bad news as well. His play over the last few years not being so good in one, and his injury history is another. So let's take these one at a time.

1)
Last season was actually pretty good (after two bad ones) and if the last game he played hadn't been a complete disaster (8 goals against), his numbers for the season would actually be quite impressive. So the recent history for him isn't bad at all.

2)
Injury history is an obvious concern but from the sounds of it, we did about as much due diligence here as could possibly done so assuming that another injury riddled season is forthcoming seems like a clear mistake.

Oh yeah, Murray also has been a big part of 2 cup wins, nice!

Murray is a gamble, no question. But there would be risk involved no matter what goalie we got. Maybe a 5 year term for Campbell/Kuemper would become an anchor, maybe someone like Gibson would cost a ton of assets and he'd never return to form, there would be risk no matter who we got.

Maybe this gamble will pay off and maybe it won't but deciding today that this was a dumb move is a thoughtless decision seemingly prompted by blind Dubas hate and for the time being, the smart money is sitting on the sidelines.

Today it is clearly a bad deal and there is no debating it. It is bad because Sens were desperate to dump him and we had all the leverage, the large risk/health concerns, the fact they did not retain enough so we'd have more money for a backup and we did not get enough of a sweetener. If you cannot see that you are in denial.

Most people on the radio are saying it. Listening to Kyper podcast as I type and McKenna is saying it and saying we should have called Verbeek and asked about Stolarz. Thinks Comrie is a good option but might command $3m.

It is a bad trade. Time to move on and see if Murray can perform to that cap hit.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Today it is clearly a bad deal and there is no debating it. It is bad because Sens were desperate to dump him and we had all the leverage, the large risk/health concerns, the fact they did not retain enough so we'd have more money for a backup and we did not get enough of a sweetener. If you cannot see that you are in denial.

Most people on the radio are saying it. Listening to Kyper podcast as I type and McKenna is saying it and saying we should have called Verbeek and asked about Stolarz. Thinks Comrie is a good option but might command $3m.

It is a bad trade. Time to move on and see if Murray can perform to that cap hit.
LOL. This is completely false. It is however accurate to say that there's no debating it with you, since your mind is made up.

You seem to think you have some sort crystal ball allowing you to see the future, but you don't and you can't.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
LOL. This is completely false. It is however accurate to say that there's no debating it with you, since your mind is made up.

You seem to think you have some sort crystal ball allowing you to see the future, but you don't and you can't.

I give up. You are either trolling or in denial. If you do not believe me, listen to the opinions of the experts, read opinions of other posters unless you have mind up your own mind.

End of conversation. I tried to have a condial conversation with you today because I am over Dubas getting fleeced but if you reply I will put you on ignore.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
basically your saying we can't form an opinion on anything and should be only discussing moves from years ago since they've already played out

kick the can down the road all you want but the facts are Murray has been an injury prone tire fire the last 3 yrs and has had only 1 good season in the last 5 , there's a reason Pitt dumped him so it's not like he's only played poorly in Ottawa

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It's funny how you don't see the massive contradiction in your own post. You say let's see if Murray can perform to that cap hit - yes that makes sense, I agree 100%, let's see.

So one hand you say let's see how Murray does, but from the other side of you mouth you say it's a bad trade before he's even played one minute for us. Perhaps you can help us understand how contradicting yourself makes sense here?

If Murray can perform to that cap hit, then Dubas has pulled off a major coup. A goalie costing us almost 5 million cap space that plays up to that contract, some draft picks tossed in to the deal and giving up absolutely nothing in return.

Let's see indeed. :)

I give up. Listen to the opinions of the experts, read opinions of other posters unless you have mind up your own mind or are in denial.
I always listen to and read opinions of other people, perhaps you should do the same. And as far as the Murray trade goes, you're the one who's made up your mind, not me.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
The value we got for taking on the 4.7 cap hit can be evaluated today. Grade: Dumb move.

Analyzing team structure and needs and cap space to re-shape the bottom can be evaluated today. Grade: Dumb move.

Goalies are crapshoot now, just wait and see (I mean to say we still have time to wait and see). Re-shape bottom 6 for playoffs is not a crap shoot. Free agency starts today and we have to make trades first to do anything useful.

So explain to me how this trade is not dumb.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

Sorry this move was a panic move once a lot of the options were gone. The reason I say it's a panic move cause it a complete change in direction from the plan that was leaked. The plan was to go and get a young goalie who hasn't broken out yet.

Is it possible Murray returns to form and ends up an upgrade over Campbell? Maybe. IMO it's not worth the gamble for the cap hit.

Reactions: thewave

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
That I fully understand. I didn't watch it but from what I heard, it was pretty gross. Oh look, we found some common ground. :)

Good to hear that you're not set in your opinions on Kyle, that's not the impression I've got from your posts over the last few months. But that's understandable I guess, I certainly don't read everything posted here. But yeah he says some cringeworthy things at times and I wish he'd keep his mouth shut more often.
We'll see how things play out but right now, I see a talented team wasting years on a rookie GM who is set in his ways. And a coach who isn't up to the task in the playoffs. Frustrating and disheartening. And yes the press conference was cringe worthy. Keefe's comments leading up to and during the playoffs "it will be violent", basically happy with the split, handshake respect, also cringe. And if they sign Malgin I may need to go for a walk lol

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sorry this move was a panic move once a lot of the options were gone. The reason I say it's a panic move cause it a complete change in direction from the plan that was leaked. The plan was to go and get a young goalie who hasn't broken out yet.

Is it possible Murray returns to form and ends up an upgrade over Campbell? Maybe. IMO it's not worth the gamble for the cap hit.

Forget it. Poster is trolling or is in denial. Gave up on him and his bullshit and put him on ignore. LOL.

The value we got for taking on the 4.7 cap hit can be evaluated today. Grade: Dumb move.

Analyzing team structure and needs and cap space to re-shape the bottom can be evaluated today. Grade: Dumb move.

Goalies are crapshoot now, just wait and see (I mean to say we still have time to wait and see). Re-shape bottom 6 for playoffs is not a crap shoot. Free agency starts today and we have to make trades first to do anything useful.

Good luck explaining it to him I gave up and put him on ignore. He's turned troll.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

If Murray plays up to his cap hit, the trade will be the opposite of dumb. We did our due diligence, apparently we believe that Murray can stay healthy and if he does, there's a good chance he will work out very well for us indeed.

I haven't heard this, what's your source here? Link?

You don't think it's worth the gamble, that's fair and you may end up being right. Too early to tell though, that's the bottom line.

We'll see how things play out but right now, I see a talented team wasting years on a rookie GM who is set in his ways. And a coach who isn't up to the task in the playoffs. Frustrating and disheartening. And yes the press conference was cringe worthy. Keefe's comments leading up to and during the playoffs "it will be violent", basically happy with the split, handshake respect, also cringe. And if they sign Malgin I may need to go for a walk lol
Yeah I get it. It's a frustrating time to be a Leaf fan, no doubt about it. 6 1st round exits, there are no words to express how awful that is. On the other hand, we had a record breaking regular season and will again be among the cup favourites next season no doubt so it's not impossible that playoff success is just around the corner.

Yes I know, the regular season means nothing. Well not 100% nothing but compared to playoff success, it means almost nothing as far as accomplishments go, maybe that's a better way of putting it. But if we're calculating our prospects for next season, it's not nothing - this is still a very good team that keeps playing well in the regular season and almost winning in the playoffs. Almost doesn't count as a win of course but this is a team stacked with talent that could break out at any moment, not some bottom feeder lottery team. And unless you believe in curses, you have to concede that this team could very well win the next playoff series we play. And then, maybe the one after that and so on.

It's hard to see how anyone could have faith that this team will figure it out, I don't. But still, it's not impossible that this team has success with this core and this management group.

I agree about the press conference. It's baffling how someone as intelligent as Dubas could say stuff that is so cringeworthy from a PR POV.

Forget it. Poster is trolling or is in denial. Gave up on him and his bullshit and put him on ignore. LOL.

Good luck explaining it to him I gave up and put him on ignore. He's turned troll.
I pointed out that you're contradicting yourself, you have no answer for that so instead of admitting your mistake, you're ignoring me. Impressive! :thumbu:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Murray is a gamble, no question. But there would be risk involved no matter what goalie we got.

There is far less risk with other goalies, so stop using that statement as a means to rationalize a bad trade.

There is less risk running across your street than there is running across the 401, but by your rationalization since they are both risky one should just go ahead and run across the highway.

He said TODAY it is a bad deal and he is absolutely right - because it damned well is.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is far less risk with other goalies, so stop using that statement as a means to rationalize a bad trade.

There is less risk running across your street than there is running across the 401, but by your rationalization since they are both risky one should just go ahead and run across the highway.

He said TODAY it is a bad deal and he is absolutely right - because it damned well is.
Do tell, what options did we have that had "far less risk" attached to them?

I truly hope you're not going to say Campbell at 5 million for 5 years or trading a boatload of assets for Gibson.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The more I think about it, I have to believe that Dubas essentially swapped Mrazek for Murray - an experienced backup for a backup.

I expect Kyle either has a trade in the works or there's a UFA that he sees as the starter. I just don't see who that starter could be.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Any that had fewer injuries.

At no point did I mention either of them.

By that logic, you'd prefer Campbell at 8 million for 7 years. Or Kuemper for 9 million for 7 years.

If you think those deals would be less risky ... :huh:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
now the question is, who is the #1 Murray or Samsonov?

I got to be honest I don't hate that tandem I would be a lot less comfortable if Samsonov wasn't in the tandem but he is.

I think he has a lot of potential

and the best part about it is he's an RFA so if he works out he's not going anywhere

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
That's two people by my count and I have been ignoring them for some time now. They're now massively outnumbered by what seems to be hundreds of people like you who just shit on everything Dubas ever does, or has done.

I never mock anyone for having an opinion. I may mock the opinions themselves at times and yes, IMHO some of your opinions in the past have definitely qualified for that honor. :)

This post is among the most ironic I've ever read here. Ever since our season ended, I've seen probably over 100 posts by you and they're all the same - one sarcastic quip after another. You're the poster boy for the crowd who is no longer interested in any serious discussion.

I've pointed out some of these things many times. When I made this particular post, I was just too jaded/tired to do it all over again. I've said it before, Dubas has done more good than bad IMO but he's definitely done some of both. And the post I was responding to listed a bunch of things as fact (bad trades) that are nothing more than opinions and when opinions are stated as facts, that's a sign that honest discussion isn't an option.

The only posters worth engaging in discussion are the ones who aren't part of the loud majority who are shitting all over anything and everything Dubas has ever done, and aren't part of the smaller (but persistent Zekes posse) who are the opposite. Luckily there is still intelligent, thoughtful discussion to be had here but there's just so much nonsense to sift through before you find it.

If what I posted was silliness, Ok maybe it was. You can forgive me, or not. Completely up to you. Cheers!

Pretty much this. Though I have to say that as far as vaccines go, there's a lack of solid information and people with bad reactions to the vaccine tend to not have their voices heard and it's almost impossible for them to get answers to their questions. It's gotten to the point that I even understand why some of them are starting to believe in conspiracy theories. So I'm not on either side in this as I believe vaccines have done more good then bad but at the same time, the bad is being shut out from the mainstream news, probably because it would lead to more people not getting vaccinated. I think there's enough questions without clear answers that nobody should too entrenched in their positions but I believe you're right - most people are on one side or the other which is most unfortunate as IMHO, it's all one big gray area.

I've never believed in this sort of thing. Can you help me understand how you imagine this happening - how exactly would Bettman go about "pushing for it"?

Well written post in general, especially regarding having to repeat the same things over and over.

I'll agree to disagree regarding vaccines since I doubt anyone wants to see that discussion, especially on free agency day lol

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well written post in general, especially regarding having to repeat the same things over and over.

I'll agree to disagree regarding vaccines since I doubt anyone wants to see that discussion, especially on free agency day lol
Agreed, today's not the day for vaccine talk. I will just very briefly say that I have seen vaccine side effects first hand on a close family member, it's been about a year now and there's no end in sight. As the saying goes, the shit's real. It's a game of russian roulette basically, not good.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I really liked Campbell but he couldn't get it done when it mattered. Our defense used to be bad, I don't think it is anymore Campbell is going to be interesting to see in Edmonton if he struggles without the same kind of defensive support. I think the new tandem has the potential to be even better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad