If it's not Jack Campbell who should be the Leafs new #1 goalie?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Title says it all if Jack Campbell isn't back, and it doesn't sound like he will be then who should be the new #1 goalie?

For me it's no secret I want John Gibson, the Ducks are in a rebuild, Gibson seems like he could be on the market that's the guy I want, followed by Keumper, Varlamov, Fluery and Lehner the others don't really have a particular order for me Gibson is far and away #1 on that list he is the guy I want.

But I would take any of them because they are all legitimate #1 goalies and I think that's what's needed an undisputed legitimate #1 goalie, I do not believe in Jack Campbell I have seen him have 5 chances to close out a series in the past 2 years and fail every time I think it is time for a change.

It's time to go get the best guy on the market and to me that's John Gibson.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
What has John Gibson accomplished in Anthiem, even when they had a real good team. Has he taken them to a deep Playoff run? No, he hasn't. Remember when Gibson and Anderson were a tandem and the Leafs traded for Anderson. Both were on equal playing level and how did it work out fro the Leafs? Campbell played good enough to win and he wasn't the reason why the Leafs didn't advance.

Reactions: colchar

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What has John Gibson accomplished in Anthiem, even when they had a real good team. Has he taken them to a deep Playoff run? No, he hasn't. Remember when Gibson and Anderson were a tandem and the Leafs traded for Anderson. Both were on equal playing level and how did it work out fro the Leafs? Campbell played good enough to win and he wasn't the reason why the Leafs didn't advance.

no he didn't or they'd still be playing it's that simple

I'm leaning toward Kuemper if he comes up. I don't like many of the other obvious options.

If I had to rank them he's probably #2 on my list I wanted him last year before he was traded to Colorado

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm surprised that Kuemper and Colorado have yet to agree on a new contract considering the trade price paid by the Avs. I can only really see Dubas making a pitch for Fleury if the latter's ask isn't anything exorbitant and he's willing to play here. Beyond that, I have a feeling that the focus will be aimed at a lesser proven, cost effective option with upside. That prediction unfortunately doesn't instill me with a ton of confidence. We'll have to see what transpires.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm surprised that Kuemper and Colorado have yet to agree on a new contract considering the trade price paid by the Avs. I can only really see Dubas making a pitch for Fleury if the latter's ask isn't anything exorbitant and he's willing to play here. Beyond that, I have a feeling that the focus will be aimed at a lesser proven, cost effective option with upside. That prediction unfortunately doesn't instill me with a ton of confidence. We'll have to see what transpires.
It's a funny situation. I just looked at their Cap Geek and they only have 7 forwards signed. Maybe they plan to blow it up if they don't win? They are losing Kadri so who knows? If they win the Cup what does Kuemper cost? I hope they can't afford him and he gives us a bit off to be on a good team. It's a big ask but what is sports but hoping?

Reactions: Buds17

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not really sold on Gibson, especially for what he would cost is assets and cap. He has the 5th highest cap hit of all goaltenders and I certainly don't think of him as a top 5 goalie.

My preference at this stage would probably be to bring back Jack at a reasonable number and pair him with a decent 1B, maybe someone with some upside (Samsonov?) or a low-maintenance veteran (Reimer?). That's probably about $6-7 million on the pair.

Might kick the tires on what it would cost to snag Hellebuyck from Winnipeg, but I suspect it would be more than I'd want to pay.

Reactions: LonnyBohonos

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm a bit surprised by the interest in back ups. I'd be happy to let the Marlies fight for that job and see what we have. We can always shore it up at the deadline and save/bank some cap if we pay 800k. Kallgren kind of earned a look didn't he?

Reactions: TML Dynasty

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My thinking is we want to oay as little as possible for a backup. Those guys are not as bad as you think IMO.

Don't cheap out on goaltending that doesn't work we tried that the past 2 years it doesn't work.

we need to invest at least 6.5 million in goaltending

5 million for a starter (more if neccessary)

1.5 in a backup (we might be able to get away with less here depending on what a guy like Greiss or Holtby are looking for

Reactions: OddyOh and ToneDog

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He was really good in 2017 when he reach cenference final before he get injured game #5 and ducks losing game #5 and 6 with jonathan bernier ... without this injury, who knows? So no its not true he hasnt taken them into deep pmayoff run...

Reactions: Sypher04

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
He was really good in 2017 when he reach cenference final before he get injured game #5 and ducks losing game #5 and 6 with jonathan bernier ... without this injury, who knows? So no its not true he hasnt taken them into deep pmayoff run...
One good year doesn't make him a superstar.

yes his name is Darcy Keumper
Keumper is not an improvement over Campbell. The only reason he is playing like he is is because he has a great team in front of him that scores goals. The kings had him for one year and he didn't impress anyone.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
One good year doesn't make him a superstar.

Keumper is not an improvement over Campbell. The only reason he is playing like he is is because he has a great team in front of him that scores goals. The kings had him for one year and he didn't impress anyone.

you have no clue what you are talking about

Gibson isn't much, if at all, of an improvement over Campbell.

Idc if the ducks are rebuilding

you don't know what you are talking about

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Every goalie that is rumoured to be on the trade block or UFA comes with issues on their own.

Clear upgrade to Campbell:

- Kuemper - 32, often injured. That's assuming he doesn't re-sign with the Avs. A Kuemper/Campbell tandem I wouldn't mind though.
- Gibson - Has had 3 consecutive bad seasons. Would be a pricey trade as well as the Ducks still view him as their guy.
- Lenher - This is the intriguing one IMO. Doesn't seem to want to be in Vegas due to issues with coach coming off season ending surgery though.

Debatable vs Campbell:

- Fleury - 36 years old.
- Holtby - Hasn't really had a good season since he left Washington and he played for one of the most defensive minded teams in the league this year
- Grubauer - Expensive cap hit and coming off the worst year of his career.

Could be anything, even Campbell:

- Mackenzie Blackwood - Dunno if the Devils want to move forward with him but he was their goalie of the future for a while. Hasn't lived up to promise though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Every goalie that is rumoured to be on the trade block or UFA comes with issues on their own.

Clear upgrade to Campbell:

- Kuemper - 32, often injured. That's assuming he doesn't re-sign with the Avs. A Kuemper/Campbell tandem I wouldn't mind though.
- Gibson - Has had 3 consecutive bad seasons. Would be a pricey trade as well as the Ducks still view him as their guy.
- Lenher - This is the intriguing one IMO. Doesn't seem to want to be in Vegas due to issues with coach coming off season ending surgery though.

Debatable vs Campbell:

- Fleury - 36 years old.
- Holtby - Hasn't really had a good season since he left Washington and he played for one of the most defensive minded teams in the league this year
- Grubauer - Expensive cap hit and coming off the worst year of his career.

Could be anything, even Campbell:

- Mackenzie Blackwood - Dunno if the Devils want to move forward with him but he was their goalie of the future for a while. Hasn't lived up to promise though.

Fluery is not debatable the ONLY advantage Campbell has over Fluery is age.

other than that Fluery is a better goalie

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I like Varlamov. He has performed well behind good defensive teams, he is not a major commitment (only 1 year left at 5 mill), and he shouldn't cost a bunch given I doubt the Islanders want a 5 mill backup. He is also an opportunity to move Mrazek to a team that makes sense for him.

Gibson is huge risk/reward. Could be the type of move who wins us a Cup or a guy who is a massive cap liability for years. The price has to be right, and even then, it would still be something we need to think long and hard about.

Blackwood, Husso, Driedger and the like all fall in the same sort of category. They are question marks who may or may not be able to step up as 1A's, but at least they are still young.

Not sure Lehner could handle the media pressure here, especially on the goalies.

Kuemper has some risk attached with his age vs. his potential contract, but I guess if the price is right then that would be good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad