Speculation: If Habs win 2OA or 3OA lottery

Your pick

• Total voters

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
What would the trade value of it be?
Package it to Columbus with Poehling + a 2nd or two for Dubois? Not too bad, is it? If not, probably take Byfield.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
So it started with Stutzle all the way but Byfield gained big momentum. I think it would be interesting to make a pool on that and regreted i didn,T make one from the start. Is it possible that add one now?
Am i wrong that Byfield was supposed to battle with Laf for the first OA pic ? and i've read a lot of reports saying Stutzle slowly become the 2nd selection ahead of Byfield ...
Did Byfield regress or it's the other one that progress more ? I even saw Trysdale at 3 rd and Byfield at 4th

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Byfield, according to some scouts, has more upside than Lafrenière but, won't be ready for the NHL in his draft +1 year as an 18-yr old.
And if the habs land him, you know 100% he gets rushed into the nhl. Sad but true

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
We just won the lottery a couoke years ago. How can you ssy never?

We can't really be that unlucky. We won a top three pick just two drafts ago.
I don't consider that winning when there was a prize ONLY for the top 2 (kinda like McDavid/Eichel and Matthews/Laine years). That year, the 3rd place all the way to the 12th place were all similar in BPA rankings (in fact Kotkaniemi was considered 13-14 OA material less than a few weeks before the draft). But yeah, let's consider that a "win"...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't consider that winning when there was a prize ONLY for the top 2 (kinda like McDavid/Eichel and Matthews/Laine years). That year, the 3rd place all the way to the 12th place were all similar in BPA rankings (in fact Kotkaniemi was considered 13-14 OA material less than a few weeks before the draft). But yeah, let's consider that a "win"...

Being assured your top choice for 3-12 is a win.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Am i wrong that Byfield was supposed to battle with Laf for the first OA pic ? and i've read a lot of reports saying Stutzle slowly become the 2nd selection ahead of Byfield ...
Did Byfield regress or it's the other one that progress more ? I even saw Trysdale at 3 rd and Byfield at 4th
The problem with Byfield is that he has exceptional tools (big, hands, skating, shot) but questionable hockey IQ and he is a soft player for his size. He is also one of the youngest player available. He is definitely a Homerun type of pick, could become a franchise player or a complete bust. That's why I think his development will be important.

Stutzle is simply put the most direct player in this draft. He constantly try something and create something. Elite hands and creativity. That being said he sometimes try too much and not unlike a Domi or a Drouin puck hog the puck. That being said he is always competing and he will go toward the net.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gains

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

We'll see how good KK, Quinn Hughes, Brady Tkachuk, Zadina, etc... turn out to be. When you get a top 3 pick and there are stars taken afterwards you won the lottery. You're scout just wasn't able to do his job and cash in the ticket....

At any rate, you're saying the hockey gods will only allow us to win the lottery in a year where the 3rd pick isn't a slam dunk? Or, not so much the hockey gods, but hockey ops?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So let me get this straight... You say if we pick at #2 and Stutzel is taken, you draft Drysdale over Laffreniere?

:huh:

No. Obviously Lafreniere is going first. I mean I pick Stutzle at #2 and if Lafreniere and Stutzle goes 1-2 and we have the pick #3, I’m taking Drysdale

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I would pick Raymond at 2, and if we have 3, and Raymond is picked at 2, I would probably take Stutzle, but Byfield would be a good choice too.

I see so much offensive talent in Raymond, while also being good in his own end. I project him to become an elite play driving winger.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Drysdale would fill a need in the organization. Weber and Petry won’t be around forever and Fleury, Juulsen, and Brook will probably not be first pairing defence

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Drysdale would fill a need in the organization. Weber and Petry won’t be around forever and Fleury, Juulsen, and Brook will probably not be first pairing defence
But there is Romanov, Norlinder and Harris who all can play on the right side.

I really like Drysdale, but I think Raymond, Stutzle and Byfield would be better picks than him.

Reactions: Benstheman

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Even if we stay at 8, we're guaranteed someone from this list. We're adding another really good young player.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Based on the NHL's proposal that was sent to teams this evening, Habs can only move up as high as 4th.
NHL, Daly state case for early-June draft in memo sent to teams - Sportsnet.ca

Which could still be a shot at any of the prospects after Lafreniere, although weaker of course

That would, unfortunately, be a great proposal for Detroit and Ottawa. It really ups there chances of getting a high pick (picks in the Sens case). This thread here arguing who would the Habs take at 2 or 3, most posters are saying Byfield or Stützle. Ottawa could now end up with both or one plus Laf. They just need to win the lottery (they’ll have the best odds with picks 2 & 3), or have a team 8th or worse win it. Worst case scenario they are picking 3rd and 4th.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Well the NHL is officially a joke.

And knowing our owner he is probably super happy to potentially make the playoff and save his face and convince himself that he is a great hockey mind.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
#reporterchris

If the draft lottery proposal outlined in tonight's NHL memo becomes reality:
-- Detroit would be guaranteed No. 1 or No. 2 overall
-- Ottawa could do no worse than owning No. 3 AND No. 4
-- New Jersey, Buffalo, Montreal and Chicago couldn't jump beyond No. 2/3/4/5, respectively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad