Speculation: If Habs win 2OA or 3OA lottery

Your pick

• Total voters

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I can imagine Byfield could be a disaster in Montreal. The media and the fans would probably project him to be a big tough powerforward and then shit on him for not being that lol.

To be honest I'm like that as well. A soft 6'4"-6'5" player grates on me. Like it or not large perimeter forwards are disliked and small players willing to suffer to score are beloved. Think how Byfield would like playing next to Gallagher. I can already see the comments: Twice the size and half the heart.

Package it to Columbus with Poehling + a 2nd or two for Dubois?

No way no how does CBJ trade PLD. Why don't you try to guess the value of a Dahlin or a Pettersson while you're at it.

Drysdale would fill a need in the organization. Weber and Petry won’t be around forever and Fleury, Juulsen, and Brook will probably not be first pairing defence

Not 100% convinced Drysdale will pan out as a first pairing as well.

MTL is making the playoffs next year.

Who's a was a what now?

Please, Mete is not an impact D. He doesn't have the ceiling to become one either.

Well Drysdale hasn't proven squat yet. Mete is still very young and I could definitely see him becoming a dependable 2nd pairing in the next 2-3 yrs.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Hahaha that's ridiculous.

Looking forward to seeing Byfield fight it out and intimidating people out there (yeah forget it).

Lol I just couldnt get over the obnoxiousness of this post... the man clearly meant the Tkachuk pick as a pick you should seriously focus on and not rank him outside the top 10 like what with happened with Brady on this board couple years ago, .. and the focus is not the type of player they are.... the guy is most likely an advocate of the idea that we messed up the kotkaniemi pick and should of taken the eventual 4th overall pick Tkachuk..and is saying dont make the same mistake twice with Byfield should the situation arise again.... but no..
keep laughing lol.

In a situation where we miraculously have the 2nd overall pick, I dont see how a deal isnt made between Detroit and Montreal, ALL THINGS considered. 2nd ovr+michigan native petry+more would be a great start.

It's crazy when you think Byfield could still grow to 6'5 or even 6'6 since he is still in his 17s.

Im not sure people in the hockey business truly want "anyone" to habitually get to 6"5 or 6"6, except for the special case every once in a while like a Zdeno Chara...too much height tends to be a "bad" thing, most peoples limbs elongate to the point its a liability and not an advantage (i.e. basketball), and it becomes such an endeavor to get the freakishly tall to fill into their bodies...to the point that THAT could become a liability too

Im not saying dont draft 6"5+ people lol... but I definitely would prefer my guys to top out around 6"4

Fun fact, Milan Lucic is 6"4, DESPITE a hunchback spine condition, he could of been even taller lol

Reactions: Holystik

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
They can all bust or develop into fringe nhlers. They are far from a sure thing.
While true, it is the same for all the positions. I think we should never draft for need that early, but it is even more the case now that we are pretty deep at every positions. We need to find guys that will be top end NHLers, no matter the positions they play, even if it is goalie.

And personally, the prospect I think has the most upside (While still beeing safe) outside Lafrenière is Raymond, so that is who I would hope the habs would draft if he is available when they talk.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anyone know why Betman is talking about going back to the lottery system of 2012 - in which case we'd only be able to pick 4th overall and no higher...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Anyone know why Betman is talking about going back to the lottery system of 2012 - in which case we'd only be able to pick 4th overall and no higher...

Yeah. They are going to determine the rankings based on the winning % as of March 12th when the games were suspended.

Since, of the teams not making the playoffs then, one could hypothetically still make the playoffs if the regular season is resumed, the 'can't go higher than four spots' if you win the lottery prevents a potential travesty where the winner of the Stanley Cup would also get the 1st overall through the lottery.

Basically, making sure teams that will definitely miss the playoffs, no matter what, will win the lottery.

Montreal gets a major Dildo up the arse only in theory. Odds are they wouldn't have won the lottery anyhow. The ones who get shafted the most about potentially getting first place is OTT.

Their odds of getting the 1st OA pick, with their two first round picks were actually better than DET who had something like a 19% chance in the now regular draft system. OTT, with the combined odds of their two picks had 30% or so and now, only have 20 some percent chance of getting it while DET would have 40% odds of getting 1st OA when they previously had.mid-20s VS OTT's 30+%.

On the flip side, OTT can do no worse than 3rd and 4th at the draft under the new system so, they come out big winners anyhow.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah. They are going to determine the rankings based on the winning % as of March 12th when the games were suspended.

Since, of the teams not making the playoffs then, one could hypothetically still make the playoffs if the regular season is resumed, the 'can't go higher than four spots' if you win the lottery prevents a potential travesty where the winner of the Stanley Cup would also get the 1st overall through the lottery.

Basically, making sure teams that will definitely miss the playoffs, no matter what, will win the lottery.

Montreal gets a major Dildo up the arse only in theory. Odds are they wouldn't have won the lottery anyhow. The ones who get shafted the most about potentially getting first place is OTT.

Their odds of getting the 1st OA pick, with their two first round picks were actually better than DET who had something like a 19% chance in the now regular draft system. OTT, with the combined odds of their two picks had 30% or so and now, only have 20 some percent chance of getting it while DET would have 40% odds of getting 1st OA when they previously had.mid-20s VS OTT's 30+%.

On the flip side, OTT can do no worse than 3rd and 4th at the draft under the new system so, they come out big winners anyhow.

As per Bob (the second tweet) below the odds would remain the same for the next 1st overall. So with both the old and new system Ottawa would have a 25% chance at the first overall. The biggest difference, as you pointed out, is that they can’t drop as far if the NHL reverts back to the old system. It’s a big win for the Sens if they go back to the old system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad