NFL: If Eli Manning retired today, would you give him a Hall of Fame vote?

Would you vote Eli into the HoF?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Playing an AFC championship game with a torn acl is leadership. HOFer Ladanian Tomlinson sat on the sidelines with an owie.
and there have been rumblings for years about how much his teammates hate him and can any deny he's a jackass?

And the Chargers have always been a screen happy team
Right, that's obviously a rational response. I guess you're right though he did lead the league in leadershipping for several years or whatever
Would you rather have wins or stats? You are also assuming that all QB situations are comparable. Eli may have better numbers if he had Gates to throw to in perfect weather 8 times a year.

The Browns of the last couple seasons should give anyone pause about stat whacking

I feel he's more like Chris Osgood. No one will really admit he has HOF talent but he has the accomplishments and numbers to say yes I am a HOFer.

Better talent on the Red Wings carried Osgood, which I don't see as the case with Eli.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ironically Rivers has had a better individual career than Eli yet "QBWinz!" dorks think he's not hall worthy.

QBs are often judge on how their teams did, fair or not, and Rivers has only been to what, one conference title game? Like it or not Eli's two rings put him ahead.

Eli was carried to two SBs by his defense. He is good, very good even, but not HOF worthy.

He'll end up in the HOF though... rings and being a Manning.

Yea his defence was great both times.... but they weren't the ones making near impossible throws to Tyree & Manningham.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Would you rather have wins or stats? You are also assuming that all QB situations are comparable. Eli may have better numbers if he had Gates to throw to in perfect weather 8 times a year.

You could have just stopped at QB WINZ and everyone would pretty well understand that you have no idea what you're talking about

The Browns of the last couple seasons should give anyone pause about stat whacking

What the fresh hell is this? The Browns have been statistically terrible for years.

It's pretty embarrassing that someone would be so against statistics (AKA argumentative evidence not based in arbitrariness) to coin a term like "stat whacking". This has got to be a bit. You're smarter than this.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
And the Chargers have always been a screen happy team

This is another good point. Eli has some solid numbers despite lacking high-end receivers aside from OBJ and Shockey.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would say yes.

I don't think Super Bowl wins (or Cups or NBA titles etc.) alone should get you in or keep you out, but if you were a big part of the reason your team won or lost in the play-offs then I do count that as a plus/minus.

For me Eli was a big reason that the Giants won those SB's and him coming up huge in the big moments matter. I understand if that isn't a consideration for others but it does sway my opinion.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
This is another good point. Eli has some solid numbers despite lacking high-end receivers aside from OBJ and Shockey.

Plaxico Burress, Victor Cruz, Amani Toomer don't ring a bell? Brandon Jacobs and Tiki Barber? Yeah he had no weapons.

Most of you caping for Eli, clown him when he throws picks.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
QBs are often judge on how their teams did, fair or not, and Rivers has only been to what, one conference title game? Like it or not Eli's two rings put him ahead.

Yea his defence was great both times.... but they weren't the ones making near impossible throws to Tyree & Manningham.

No they were the ones keeping their team in the game.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You could have just stopped at QB WINZ and everyone would pretty well understand that you have no idea what you're talking about
Whereas you've clearly enumerated your Passer Rating uber Alles platform.

What the fresh hell is this? The Browns have been statistically terrible for years.

It's pretty embarrassing that someone would be so against statistics (AKA argumentative evidence not based in arbitrariness) to coin a term like "stat whacking". This has got to be a bit. You're smarter than this.
They have the inventor of Moneyball... and may have fielded the worst team in history. You'd think a statistical genius could at least get them out of the cellar

Reactions: Voight

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Whereas you've clearly enumerated your Passer Rating uber Alles platform.

Didn't know that I had to go further than "Eli was never at the peak of his position in any statistical category except interceptions."

They have the inventor of Moneyball... and may have fielded the worst team in history. You'd think a statistical genius could at least get them out of the cellar

It's 2017. Do you not think that every professional sports team has some sort of "statistical genius" on their payroll?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Didn't know that I had to go further than "Eli was never at the peak of his position in any statistical category except interceptions."
Brad Park never won a Norris.

Do you think context might have some play in that?

It's 2017. Do you not think that every professional sports team has some sort of "statistical genius" on their payroll?
I don't think such a thing exists in football.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
His stats seem to back up his claim. He had memorable runs and plays in the playoffs including most famous of all, ending Brady's undefeated bid(and beating Brady twice, the only QB to beat Brady in the Superbowl)

Throwing a lot of INTs isn't a disqualifier. Didn't king of the INT Brett Favre get into the hall? :sarcasm:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They should’ve won it in 2006 but Marlon McCree refused to go down after picking off Brady...then Troy Brown strips and recovers the football.
giphy.gif

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I would not put him in. I consider the HOF for elite players. I recognize that he probably will get in though because he has 2 SBs, was a QB, and has the Manning name.

I also don't think he played very well or at least as good as people give him credit for in that first SB.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No. He was very good for a while, but was also average for a long while, and don't think he warrants a HoF nod on his merits alone.

That being said, he's a two-time New York champion QB that just got a massive PR boost by the way in which he was benched, so I'm fully expecting him to get voted in.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Explaining my reasoning for "no"...

I personally prefer peak over longevity. At what point could you say with a straight face that Eli was a top five QB in the entire league? Yes, two SB rings and two SB MVPs, I know... If you want to use the argument that he's a winner, his career record is 110-100. His stats are up there in the historical leaderboards, but that's because he's played so long in a passing era.

Well Eli is top 10 all-time in passing yards and TDs, therefore he is a top 10 QB of all-time. Am I doing it right?

272 turnovers in 222 games is not HOF worthy.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Only 6 teams in Super Bowl history finished the season 15-1 or better. Eli beat 2 of those teams as a wild card team to knock them out of the playoffs. That's pretty crazy.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Well Eli is top 10 all-time in passing yards and TDs, therefore he is a top 10 QB of all-time. Am I doing it right?

272 turnovers in 222 games is not HOF worthy.
336 in 302 is.:sarcasm:

You are also missing fumbles loss which do constitute a TO

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
HOF talent? I'm sure i could be a hall of famer too playing behind that juggernaut of a Wings team. Also like how people always conveniently ignore he was awful the 4 seasons he spent away from Detroit.

As for Eli? I wouldn't vote for him. As much as i love him for giving the entire state of Massachusetts a collective aneurysm (twice), rings should not be what gets a guy in the hall of fame. By some people's logic ringless guys like Kelly and Marino shouldn't be in the hall because they couldn't attain a team based accolade.

If you're basing it on stats alone, Tony Romo has a better case than Eli ffs.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad