3) Washington - Cam Barker
4) Columbus - Rostislav Olesz
5) Carolina - Wojtek Wolski
6) New York Rangers - Rob Schremp
7) Atlanta - Mike Green
8) Phoenix - Alexandre Picard
9) Anahiem - Lauri Tukonen
10) Edmonton - Alvero Montoya

Anaheim probably won't draft Tukonen, they have had very little luck with their european prospects. I'm sure they will draft a NA player.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
stardog said:
Columbus would not pick Montoya...no way....they have Pascal Leclaire who, by all accounts is doing well. And they have Denis as well. They would take Olesz if Barker wasn't around.

You're right, I completely forgot about Leclaire. :eek:

In that case, Olesz or Wolski.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That's why...

oil slick said:
Not to be an ass, but will the Pens be able to afford Ovechkin? It really seems like with a small market team like the Pens, they would be better off having one super-star, and a bunch of decent, reasonably priced talent, than spending all there money on two players. They couldn't even afford MAF this year.

Bettman will rig the lottery a la Patrick Ewing circa 1985 and Ovechkin will end up on Broadway. The way the Rangers are dropping, the top three is not far off. :D

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
kyle said:
It's not reverse order of the standings.

There is a lottery.

1) Pittsburgh - Alexander Ovechkin
2) Chicago - Evgeny Malkin
3) Washington - Cam Barker
4) Columbus - Rostislav Olesz

OK. Assuming he factored in the lottery... Pittsburgh is number 1. Meaning they won the lottery. And based of the standing, that means that Columbus would be #2. Do you see this?

Even if Chicago or Washington won the lottery, CBJ would pick #3 not #4.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
As of right now, the top 10 picks based on projected final point totals would be:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Columbus
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. Atlanta
6. Carolina
7. New York Rangers
8. Phoenix
9. Florida
10. Anaheim

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Bouwmeester4 said:
Yea there totally bombing the season on purpose. No team loses 18 in a row.

At this point even if the Pens were "losing on purpose" what would be the point? They could go 10-15 games above .500 the rest of the way and still have the first lottery position. And besides, watch a game or two and then tell me they're tanking it. They play hard but are just too young and not-talented enough. Yes, they're terrible enough to lose 18... AND its not from an overall lack of effort.

IF you wanna see "Tanking it", wait till there's 10 games left and Florida is out of a play-off spot.

Dudley will make sure he gets his shot at Ovechkin.
;)

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Anaheim probably won't draft Tukonen, they have had very little luck with their european prospects. I'm sure they will draft a NA player.

I strongly agree with you. And not a chance that Ana will pick a goalie, with Jiggy, Gerbs and Bryz on the roster. Since we're collecting lots of useless victories I hope that Olesz or Barker (not likely thought) will drop to our spot. If not Chipchura or Wolski could be our targets.

1) Pens - Ovechkin
2) Hawks - Malkin
3) Washington - Schremp
4) Columbus - Barker
5) Carolina - Schwarz

hawksgoal

Mar 2, 2003
germany
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I hope the Pens do not get the 1st overall. They don't deserve it.

It would be funning though since they are the reason there is a lottery. Last time there was aplayer rated this high was Mario and they dumped the season, so it would serve them right to lose the #1 pick this year.

dats-13

Dec 29, 2003
Still Waiting On Grigs...
(under the current system) how many times has the worst team point-wise in the leaguw got the #1 pick....but, I think that streak ends this year

a quick question, do we get to see the drawing or what ever for the #1 pick, and the anouncement???

anyways, I really, really, really, hope Sami Lepisto is available when the wings are making their selection...

HabsBaby18*

Dr. kØUkLØs said:
I just can't wait for the Draft.
I hope the Pens get 1st overall.
Then I can't wait for the moment Ovechkin puts on the jersey!!!!

imagine if pittsburgh gets the 1st pick this year and NEXT Year .. WOuld that be amzing to have Ovechkin , Fleury and Crosby héhé

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
clefty said:
:shakehead:

I wonder what you'd say if it were your team that finished 30th overall.

If they tanked in such a disgraceful fashion?

I'd remain objective, and say that they don't deserve it.

Oh, and I would stop recognizing them as "my team" since I couldn't bear to support a franchise that actually does not care about its fans in the least. To act any other way seems to me like those wives who get a beating and come back asking for more.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Dark Metamorphosis said:
yea let's give it to chicago then...a team with ownership that has specifically said that they don't want to win a stanley cup.

or maybe washington, who has an owner with HUGE pockets but still can't put a winning team on the ice.

The Hawks organization has been horrible too, at times. Still, I don't think they have deconstructed a really great team the way Mario is doing it right now.

I actually disagree with you on the Caps. First, not too long ago they made it to the SC final. That's not too shabby. You make it sound like they are the Rangers. A team that's been spending for 6-7 years without maing the playoffs.

I actually like Ted Leonsis. He is great with the fans (when he doesn't strangle them :p ), communicates with them, is dynamic and at least TRIES to put a winning product on the ice. He's the opposite of Lemieux. It just happens that Leonsis has not realized yet he has an incompetent as GM. I expect that realization to come soon. In the meantime, they are already making adjustments to change direction and at least try a proper build. All in all, they seem to care and react to the situations as they happen. That's a far cry from Pittsburgh, where you can see Mario in the press box SMILING and LAUGHING while his team is getting *****slapped for the 1Xth consecutive game in a row and getting fresh and ready for team Canada.

Dark Metamorphosis said:
i think you just have something against pittsburgh. i don't see how they're less deserving of the first overall than the other teams at the bottom.

You got me. Pittsburgh stole my lunch money. That's why I often criticize them.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a string of horrible trades, poor drafting and various decisions made by an ownership situation that sucks diplodocus balls.

AEKaki

Vlad The Impaler said:
You got me. Pittsburgh stole my lunch money. That's why I often criticize them.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a string of horrible trades, poor drafting and various decisions made by an ownership situation that sucks diplodocus balls.

Give them a new arena, and they won't do these "stupid" money-dump moves.
For now, we'll take Ovechkin.
I think we lost enough of talent in the past 2 years.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
If they tanked in such a disgraceful fashion?
I'd remain objective, and say that they don't deserve it.

Well I don't buy it that Pittsburgh are tanking the season. There a team of rookies and old men way past their best days. They've assembled the most inexperienced goaltending tandems I've ever seen. I truly think their record is indicative of the team that takes to the ice.

Be that as it may, the draft isn't there to determine who 'deserves' what. Its about distributing talent. If Pittsburgh doesn't 'deserve' a high pick, who does deserve it? The 29th placed team? What makes them more deserving? They didn't play much better than the Penguins did. The first placed team? Give them the top pick and you're looking at some serious inequities between the top tier teams and the lower tier teams for a long time, even more so than now. Who knows? Maybe Colorado wouldn't have been able to rise to the top of the league if they weren't able to draft Sundin, Nolan and Lindros. The current system is the best way to circulate talent and teams' success.

Oh, and I would stop recognizing them as "my team" since I couldn't bear to support a franchise that actually does not care about its fans in the least

In what way does Pittsburgh not care about its fans? Because they're 'tanking' the season? Or is it merely unfounded criticism because you've just got something against the Penguins for some reason? or is it something else? I'm seriously asking you, not being a wise ass.

To act any other way seems to me like those wives who get a beating and come back asking for more

Interesting analogy :dunno:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Stars need 3 types:

1) Offensive wizard.
2) Defenseman.
3) Powerforwards.

With the Stars picking between 15th/20th, as well as 31st/35th, who should be their main targets?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
The Hawks organization has been horrible too, at times. Still, I don't think they have deconstructed a really great team the way Mario is doing it right now.

I assume you're talking about the salary dumps. They had to be made. Without the Jagr trade, CP would have been hard pressed to re-sign Kovalev, Lang and Straka who all applied for arbitration that year. At this point, it doesn't look like the greatest of trades, but its still early for the young guys we got.

Now as it turns, those three players subsequently were traded or left via free agency. The Kovalev deal wasn't a good one by any stretch of the imagination, Lang situation was made difficult by his switching of agents and his injury at the deadline, where the offers that came in were not better than the compensatory pick the Penguins received as a result of Lang's departing. Do I think the situation could have been handled better? Sure I do. But the Penguins have to move on, and they're trying to do that with the assembling of good prospects. The Straka trade was a really good one.

Anyway, if the team's fans have had to endure this all, why punish them further by not giving them the chance of drafting Ovechkin? If they've been jerked around as you've said, why jerk them around even further? The fans are the only ones who lose here.

I actually like Ted Leonsis. He is great with the fans (when he doesn't strangle them ), communicates with them, is dynamic and at least TRIES to put a winning product on the ice. He's the opposite of Lemieux.

It'd be great if Lemieux could be like Ted Leonsis. I really like him as well. But who says he should be? How many owners league wide are like Leonsis? why just single out Lemieux? Hell, I don't even know the names of the other 28 owners.

In the meantime, they are already making adjustments to change direction and at least try a proper build

Hows that different from the situation in Pittsburgh?

All in all, they seem to care and react to the situations as they happen. That's a far cry from Pittsburgh, where you can see Mario in the press box SMILING and LAUGHING while his team is getting *****slapped for the 1Xth consecutive game in a row and getting fresh and ready for team Canada.

Smiling and laughing!?!? The *******!! Call in the firing squads!

And if Mario wants to play for Team Canada, thats his prerogative.

The trades haven't been all bad. Drafting over the past few seasons has been excellent. What are the other various decisions that you speak of?

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:

Understand that it's out of necessity. Lemieux, as an owner, has cut payroll in half and he's still expecting to lose as much as 5 million this season.

Mario is the only guy for the job. He's not a billionaire like Leonsis. He could sell the team, but without a new arena, they'd just be moved to the sunbelt.

That's a far cry from Pittsburgh, where you can see Mario in the press box SMILING and LAUGHING while his team is getting *****slapped for the 1Xth consecutive game in a row and getting fresh and ready for team Canada.
From this statement alone it's pretty clear that you do have a personal vendetta against Mario and/or the Penguins in general. I've never seen Lemieux smiling/laughing in the press box- not even when the Penguins are winning- and I watch every game.
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Lemieux, I have no idea why you would make something up.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
From this statement alone it's pretty clear that you do have a personal vendetta against Mario and/or the Penguins in general. I've never seen Lemieux smiling/laughing in the press box- not even when the Penguins are winning- and I watch every game.

It was against Ottawa. I saw it. I don't watch every game but I found this to be very alarming when his team is on the verge of pulling a record in consecutive losses.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
clefty said:
Anyway, if the team's fans have had to endure this all, why punish them further by not giving them the chance of drafting Ovechkin? If they've been jerked around as you've said, why jerk them around even further? The fans are the only ones who lose here.

Your message is long and I will reply to it in more details later :)

I'd like to address that bit right now, though. I fully sympathize with what Pens fans have to go through. However, one always needs to look at the bigger picture and that's why I am trying to do here.

In my humble opinion, the bigger picture is that it goes against sportsmanship for an organization to tank it like that. It's a competitive league and by its nature, the product should be about competition. But we've got this new trend now of teams taking it easy and tanking. It cheapes the sports in its entirety.

It's bad for the sport. It's even bad on a materialistic level because it makes the entire NHL a lesser product.

If we focus on Pittsburgh fans now, it's bad for them too. How can you feel good about this if, for instance, you paid hard-earned money for seasons-tix? It's just an injustice and near-theft.

The question is not to punish Pens fans. Heck, I'd love for Pens fans to get a bright future. But this situation of tanking is unacceptable and it must NOT be rewarded. Or it will be repeated elsewhere and more fans will get screwed up in another city, not to mention that as I already said, it cheapens the sport at large as well as screw up the NHL at large.

Are you going to enjoy your Pens game featuring Ovechkin in 6 years when (example totally out of the blue, it could be any team) the Red Wings come to twon with a depleted lineup of AHLers because they are trying to tank it to draft some Czech kid by the name of Marek Puckev? No, you're going to be bored to death. You're going to wonder why the **** you paid tickets at that price to see a one-sided effort leading to a boringly predictable effort.

And you'd feel even worse if unlike you or I, you had zero interest in prospects and were just there to enjoy a good game of hardfought hockey.

This goes beyond what Pens fans may selfishly feel they deserve. It goes right at heart to the issue of what the NHL is supposed to offer as a product and what is becoming a problem in this league. I remember when it was a 21-team league it wasn't much of a problem. You had maybe 1, perhaps 2 teams tanking when the draft year was UNBELIEVABLE. Sure, that sucked. But at least the problem was smaller.

Now it's every year. And some years, you see teams to go to such unbelievable lengths to tank it that it is just disgusting. This is one of those cases. The NHL needs a new system where teams will not be rewarded in such a way. Hard to do, but needs to be addressed as soon as possible. This is not acceptable, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad