If Draft was Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
I find it ridiculous how much some people believe in this Pittsburgh tanking-myth.

It just doesn't make sense that a proffesional business organization like an NHL team is, which is playing with sums like $40.000.000 in revenue each season, would act like that. That it would on purpose lose game after game in front of 12.000 disappointed people (who each are paying their hard earned money, like $50 for just one ticket, most of them expecting an entertaining sports show on that particular night) just to be able to draft ONE player! And then expect all these people to come back year after year!

What if 10-20% less people bought season tickets for next season because they get pissed off of seing the Pengiuns lose on purpose? It would mean at least $2-4 M less revenue in '04-'05 just from season tix. Talk about bad business (not to speak of what was mentioned here earlier, how bad this must affect the teams younger players mentally).

And do you really think a legendary hockeyplayer like Mario Lemieux would spit in his fans face (and his players) like this, just to be able to draft a 17-year old child (Ovechkin)??? A kid who they won't be able to keep anyway more than 2-3 years. How can you accuse no. 66 for dirty things like this? :D

I believe a bad team can lose some morale and motivation during the season, and therefor not being able to give 100% every night, which would cause a few extra lost games (in the end of a season), but to "tank" on purpose, no.

I guess people have always had the tendency to believe in conspiracies... :cry:

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
But then again, the Penguins would probably sell at least 20% more season tickets just to see Ovechkin play. :D :D :bow:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Slime said:
I find it ridiculous how much some people believe in this Pittsburgh tanking-myth.

It just doesn't make sense that a proffesional business organization like an NHL team is, which is playing with sums like $40.000.000 in revenue each season, would act like that. That it would on purpose lose game after game in front of 12.000 disappointed people (who each are paying their hard earned money, like $50 for just one ticket, most of them expecting an entertaining sports show on that particular night) just to be able to draft ONE player! And then expect all these people to come back year after year!

What if 10-20% less people bought season tickets for next season because they get pissed off of seing the Pengiuns lose on purpose? It would mean at least $2-4 M less revenue in '04-'05 just from season tix. Talk about bad business (not to speak of what was mentioned here earlier, how bad this must affect the teams younger players mentally).

And do you really think a legendary hockeyplayer like Mario Lemieux would spit in his fans face (and his players) like this, just to be able to draft a 17-year old child (Ovechkin)??? A kid who they won't be able to keep anyway more than 2-3 years. How can you accuse no. 66 for dirty things like this? :D

I believe a bad team can lose some morale and motivation during the season, and therefor not being able to give 100% every night, which would cause a few extra lost games (in the end of a season), but to "tank" on purpose, no.

I guess people have always had the tendency to believe in conspiracies... :cry:

I had a lot of problems figuring out what you were saying because of the smileys. Cannot determine if/when you are sarcastic, sorry.

But I just want to tell you in case you were serious: the tanking problem in the NHL is real. Teams have done it in the past, going way back in the days. You can try to find articles on the draft lottery, on how and why it was put in place.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
I hope the Pens do not get the 1st overall. They don't deserve it.
Late response, but I have to ask. Who doesn't deserve it? The players? The fans? Clearly, you mean that the ownership/management doesn't deserve it, but shouldn't the fanbase that has endured the last 3 years, and the players that have played hard despite rarely having even a snowball's chance of winning a game, deserve to get a star or two?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
Late response, but I have to ask. Who doesn't deserve it? The players? The fans? Clearly, you mean that the ownership/management doesn't deserve it, but shouldn't the fanbase that has endured the last 3 years, and the players that have played hard despite rarely having even a snowball's chance of winning a game, deserve to get a star or two?

They very, very clearly do deserve Ovechkin. It's just that it has to stop now. I'm sorry, it could be any team in the league. It just happens that it is yours. If enough teams trying this scheme are not rewarded, it will probably lessen the problem.

I hope this whole situation is going to backfire in the worst possible way, so that other teams won't be tempted to replicate this. It is important for the greater good of the league, which should always, always take precedence over a particular team or fanbase.

If nothing happens, this whole situation is going to repeat itself, at which point another fan of another team is going to tell me he deserves Crosby, and so on. It has to stop as soon as possible.

This league needs to wake up or it will never be taken seriously. It appears this sports is not as marketable as some others, therefore, the margin of error when running the NHL is thinner, IMO. We need a credible, competitive league at the higher echelon.

I understand though, that the CBA makes it tough right now. That is also part of a healthy, credible league. I think this league needs a number of changes. Because right now it's to a point where every team in the league meets atrocious teams 10-15 times a year and that does absolutely nothing to bring fans in buildings and create some following/ratings.

There's too much meangless hockey. It's not good for anybody.

I like how hockey is structured in part, but it does create some side problems. For instance, it's great that in our sport, players do not obtain UFA status until far adanced in their career (31 yo). But at the same time, it does make prospect invaluable. Especially in this era of overscouting. Simply put, too many teams do not care about winning and simply figure they might as well dump the veterans. That leads to fanbase erosion, as well as youngsters who have little to no guidance. There's no team identity. Players are dumped. Or they ask to be traded to the same 6-7 teams and owners bend over.

It has to stop. We need pride in all NHL franchises, a desire to compete. We need to stop rewarding teams for taking it easy. Sure, a team HAS to finish 30th in the standings. That's the nature of the competition. But they should still be trying to compete.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You think maybe the draft order should be the way the standings go, as apposed to being reversed?

Or maybe the teams that just barely miss the playoffs get the highest picks.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
You think maybe the draft order should be the way the standings go, as apposed to being reversed?

Or maybe the teams that just barely miss the playoffs get the highest picks.

Now, that's a very interesting discussion. How can this be fixed? I think this would eserve a thread of its own. The first suggestion (same order as standing) is just going to kill some teams period, especially if the next CBA makes as little sense as the current one.

My first thought was to maybe have a race for the pick. Seems like what you are proposing i the second suggestion.

In effect:

Playoffs team:

1st place = 30th pick
2nd place = 29
3= 28
4= 27
5= 26
6= 25
7= 24
8= 23
9= 22
10= 23
11= 24
12= 25
13= 26
14= 27
15= 28
16= 29

Non-playoffs team:

17th place overall (or the team just missing the playoffs, even if a team makes the playoffs with less point)= 1 st overall pick
18= 2nd overall
19= 3rd
20= 4
21= 5
22= 6
23= 7
24= 8
25= 9
26= 10
27= 11
28= 12
29= 13
30= 14

That way, ALL teams are going to battle it out until the end. You've got no choice. You try to make the playoffs and if you can't, you still have to move your ass to get a good pick.

Then, starting in the second round, to alleviate the difficult situation into which very weak teams are in, we revert to the normal standings orde. In effect, the worst team (30th overall) gets the 31st pick overall and so on.

I left out the usual considerations (compensatory picks for UFAs leaving, and the Stanley Cup winner shuffling) but you get the idea :)

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Vlad, an answer I would want is simple. I see what you're saying...

If the NHL created an equal playing field, in theory, the same teams wouldn't be finishing in the same places over and over. Teams would cycle through, and the current system or one similar to it would work fine because teams would all (if managed decently) be able to build a winning team of their own, just like the rest of the teams.

Teams wouldn't tank and want to get several top picks in a row because they would be able win now.

Basically, like the NFL system..

fatnickmo

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Now, that's a very interesting discussion. How can this be fixed? I think this would eserve a thread of its own. The first suggestion (same order as standing) is just going to kill some teams period, especially if the next CBA makes as little sense as the current one.

My first thought was to maybe have a race for the pick. Seems like what you are proposing i the second suggestion.

In effect:

Playoffs team:

1st place = 30th pick
2nd place = 29
3= 28
4= 27
5= 26
6= 25
7= 24
8= 23
9= 22
10= 23
11= 24
12= 25
13= 26
14= 27
15= 28
16= 29

Non-playoffs team:

17th place overall (or the team just missing the playoffs, even if a team makes the playoffs with less point)= 1 st overall pick
18= 2nd overall
19= 3rd
20= 4
21= 5
22= 6
23= 7
24= 8
25= 9
26= 10
27= 11
28= 12
29= 13
30= 14

That way, ALL teams are going to battle it out until the end. You've got no choice. You try to make the playoffs and if you can't, you still have to move your ass to get a good pick.

Then, starting in the second round, to alleviate the difficult situation into which very weak teams are in, we revert to the normal standings orde. In effect, the worst team (30th overall) gets the 31st pick overall and so on.

I left out the usual considerations (compensatory picks for UFAs leaving, and the Stanley Cup winner shuffling) but you get the idea :)

I really don't see the NHL doing something so radical but I agree with the idea that something needs to be done to stop teams from throwing half a season away.
My suggestion would be to do a lottery with all the teams that do not make the playoffs weighted equally. That way there is no differance between finising 17th or 30th.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I dont care what draft position the blue jackets draft in, doug maclean will do what it takes to get that top dman in the draft. its a big time need, cam barker might as well start getting use to seeing a lagre blue no 61 skating in front of him.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
The Hawks organization has been horrible too, at times. Still, I don't think they have deconstructed a really great team the way Mario is doing it right now.

I actually disagree with you on the Caps. First, not too long ago they made it to the SC final. That's not too shabby. You make it sound like they are the Rangers. A team that's been spending for 6-7 years without maing the playoffs.

I actually like Ted Leonsis. He is great with the fans (when he doesn't strangle them :p ), communicates with them, is dynamic and at least TRIES to put a winning product on the ice. He's the opposite of Lemieux. It just happens that Leonsis has not realized yet he has an incompetent as GM. I expect that realization to come soon. In the meantime, they are already making adjustments to change direction and at least try a proper build. All in all, they seem to care and react to the situations as they happen. That's a far cry from Pittsburgh, where you can see Mario in the press box SMILING and LAUGHING while his team is getting *****slapped for the 1Xth consecutive game in a row and getting fresh and ready for team Canada.

You got me. Pittsburgh stole my lunch money. That's why I often criticize them.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a string of horrible trades, poor drafting and various decisions made by an ownership situation that sucks diplodocus balls.

wow your not smart... the pens just recently made the eastern conference finals, how wait you should remember that because we beat you guys to get there. :joker: :rolly: :dunno: :handclap: :bow:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Herb_Brooks said:
wow your not smart... the pens just recently made the eastern conference finals, how wait you should remember that because we beat you guys to get there. :joker: :rolly: :dunno: :handclap: :bow:

I don't understand what you're saying. But the string of smileys is pretty.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Vlad The Impaler said:
I don't understand what you're saying. But the string of smileys is pretty.
Vlad your system does have its flaws like the fact that a poor team that can't afford their players does not get a chance to get better. A mediocre team allways seems to get the best players which will lead to a huge gap between top 20 teams and the last 10. It would get the bottom feeders to try though.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
Vlad your system does have its flaws like the fact that a poor team that can't afford their players does not get a chance to get better. A mediocre team allways seems to get the best players which will lead to a huge gap between top 20 teams and the last 10. It would get the bottom feeders to try though.

We could still do it has a sort of lottery, with the 17th team only having a better chance at the #1. Also, instead of the current system, the lottery could be weighted so that even the 30th team would have a shot at the #1 pick, only it would be really small.

Also, I find that reverting to the 1-30 usual order starting in the second round would greatly alleviate the problem. If you finish 30tyh overall, it's true that you will probably not have the best 1st round pick, but you would still have the 31st pick overall. When I look at the good teams in this league, they know how to draft well in the 2nd round.

The problem is teams tanking because of those magical 1st overall hyped guys. Plus, it often backfires anyway. The 1st overall pick is not alwayys the best pick. I don't see why not having the 1st overall automatically makes you a bottom feeder year after year.

I don understand that the system I suggested is far from perfect and I would like to hear other suggestions. I'm sure there has to be a way to make everyone compete and still give the best chance for weak teams to get better.

Of course, it starts with a better CBA :p

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
The Hawks organization has been horrible too, at times. Still, I don't think they have deconstructed a really great team the way Mario is doing it right now.

I actually disagree with you on the Caps. First, not too long ago they made it to the SC final. That's not too shabby. You make it sound like they are the Rangers. A team that's been spending for 6-7 years without maing the playoffs.

I actually like Ted Leonsis. He is great with the fans (when he doesn't strangle them :p ), communicates with them, is dynamic and at least TRIES to put a winning product on the ice. He's the opposite of Lemieux. It just happens that Leonsis has not realized yet he has an incompetent as GM. I expect that realization to come soon. In the meantime, they are already making adjustments to change direction and at least try a proper build. All in all, they seem to care and react to the situations as they happen. That's a far cry from Pittsburgh, where you can see Mario in the press box SMILING and LAUGHING while his team is getting *****slapped for the 1Xth consecutive game in a row and getting fresh and ready for team Canada.

You got me. Pittsburgh stole my lunch money. That's why I often criticize them.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a string of horrible trades, poor drafting and various decisions made by an ownership situation that sucks diplodocus balls.

And the Pens made it to the EC final. They made the playoffs, what, 12 straight years?

Vlad you are more knowledgable than this. You are looking at things in black and white and not considering the reasons behind the many moves. You even stated in another post on this thread that you are looking at the bigger picture. I fail to see how you are looking at the bigger picture when it is obvious that the Penguins are doing exactly that. Looking at the big picture...ie: the future.
It has nothing to do with tanking anything and you know that.
Lemiuex likes his team finishing dead last? He likes not having the extra revenue that playoffs bring? He likes not having fans turn out to spend monies on the team? He wanted to get rid of Jagr,Lang, Straka, Kovalev?
Given that they need a new arena, and a succesful team would enhance the chances of getting one, I dont see how he benefits from tanking the season other than to get a 48% chance at drafting Ovechkin.

Please, Vlad, consider the extenuating circumstances in the matter and not the current result.
You have yet to even leave room to consider what the end result may be as well. They are following a plan....one that they need in order to stay viable...one that they need in order to survive.
These are things that you already know Vlad. It is well documented.
Regardless of how you may feel, I think your statement that they are tanking the season was erronius and reckless. To say they arent deserving of a number one pick, any more or any less, than any other team is the same.

Furthermore, I could care less if Mario is smiling in the press box. He has also been frowning at times as well. That is a rather weak attempt to pigeon hole Lemiuex as uncaring to bolster your argument. The fact that he sometimes smiles in the press box has nothing to do with what you suggest and I think that you know it. I have nothing but respect for your posts, but I dont understand what that is all about.

As well, The Pens have always "TRIED" to put a competitive product on the ice. And they have been more succesful than any franchise in the 90's (other than maybe Detroit) in doing so. I dont see why you would insinuate that they arent WANTING to be competitive.
That same product that they iced in the 90's (that they couldnt afford mind you) is the reason that they cant ice the talent that they could if they actually had money.
Other tidbits that I disagree with that you have posted in this thread:

Vlad said:
No, you're going to be bored to death. You're going to wonder why the **** you paid tickets at that price to see a one-sided effort leading to a boringly predictable effort.

Of every Pens game I have seen this year, I have maybe seen 4 boring efforts. This team plays with more heart and passion than most in the league. They are outskilled, plain and simple. To call thier effort into question is, well, questionable at best.

Vlad said:
But hey, you take offense when someone suggests that we should actually hope things are oing to change and that this type of "effort" should not be rewarded
No, I think most are taking offense to your strong, repeated staments that the Penguins are tanking the season. Especially when you leave no room for error, or that you may be wrong. Noone is taking offense to your wanting changes....they take offense to your unfounded speculations which have no actual, tangible proof, other than the team sucks (which there is proof for the reasons for the teams poor play). In essence there is a stated, solid reason behind the teams poor play. There is solid evidence why they are dead last. There is however, no evidence to suggest what you are suggesting, and that is why people take offense.
Not because people dont respect other's calling for changes.

Vlad said:
Even under a new CBA, Mario may have alienated the fanbase for several years. This situation, overall, is just not good. To see my position as an "attack" on the Pittsburgh market or its fans is just completely untrue. I truly feel sorry for what you are ging through. But you're going through it, in part, because you disagree with my position

No Vlad....we are going through it because we do not have the money to compete. It is as simple as that. No magic tricks or hidden agendas.

Vlad said:
If nothing happens, this whole situation is going to repeat itself, at which point another fan of another team is going to tell me he deserves Crosby, and so on. It has to stop as soon as possible.

Once again Vlad...you are missing the point. I dont think anyone here has said that the Pens deserve Ovechkin more so than the other teams near the bottom of the barrel. They are simply asking, if the Pens do not deserve Oveckin, then who does. You have yet to answer that.
They are also saying that the Pens deserve Ovechkin no LESS than any other team. Certainly I wouldnt say that they deserve him MORE than the teams in the last 3 positions.
And again, they are debating the faacy of your position that the Pens are tanking the season in order for the chance (note the word chance) to draft him.
Another fan of another team may say that thier team deserves crosby, but what I have understood most of the people to be saying isnt that we "deserve" Ovechkin, but that we don't NOT deserve him. And there is a huge difference there.

Vlad said:
It has to stop. We need pride in all NHL franchises, a desire to compete. We need to stop rewarding teams for taking it easy. Sure, a team HAS to finish 30th in the standings. That's the nature of the competition. But they should still be trying to compete.

Again, you yourself said that the team is competing, yet here you say that they aren't even trying. What gives? This team competes night in and out. I don't really think there is a question about that.
Another thing is that this team appears to have a bright future due to the effect that the young talent has had this year. Yet this is the same young talent that was drafted by what you stated was a bad drafting managment team. While there are reasons to be critical of the past Pens drafts, I certainly feel that the orginization has turned it around, and through both drafts and trades has aquired a VERY strong group of young talent. Which is exactly what a rebuilding franchise covets.

Another thing. Your proposal for how the draft should be would have the same exact flaws that every other draft has. Who is to say that a team won't "tank it" if they are in a position to draft a potential superstar franchise player?
There are many scenarios where this could happen as well. Say that there are five teams fighting for that last spot in the playoffs? Well you are going to have questions called out regardless, just like the ones that are being discussed here.
There are going to be flaws to any system. Period.

In summary, my whole point is that I find it rather trite to say that the Pens have tanked thier entire season on the chance of drafting Ovechkin when there are so many extenuating circumstances as to why they are in the shape they are in.
Instead of looking for conspiracies, we should just focus on the facts. The Pens are in last place because (A) they simply cannot afford to compete through free agency, and (B) they are rebuilding through thier drafting, which is what they should do. The rookies are going to be good, but they are rookies.
They are not tanking the season for the chance to draft a player that may not be the star some think he will be. They are failing because of finances. Pure and simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->