If Columbus wins the Cup...

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
The NHL is a copycat league. GMs look at the teams that win and try to do the same thing.

So assuming Columbus knocks off the top seed, Duchene continues to lead the way, and Stone continues to light it up for Vegas, then GMs are going to begin taking the trade deadline more seriously.

Will it be the right move for their respective teams? Maybe not, of course. But it will be entertaining for us! :nod:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would feel sorry for Ottawa since that mean the draft pick they get back sucks bigtime, although Columbus only needs to win 2 series for that pick to suck.

On a side note imagine a Duchene vs Stone Stanley cup final(or even Duchene vs Karlsson)

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I would feel sorry for Ottawa since that mean the draft pick they get back sucks bigtime, although Columbus only needs to win 2 series for that pick to suck.

On a side note imagine a Duchene vs Stone Stanley cup final(or even Duchene vs Karlsson)

Given how excellent the traded away players are- and, seemingly, how many there are of them- I really wonder how Ottawa managed to be so bad while they still where there.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
So that being said, what's incorrect, your perception of what should happen, or reality? More teams need to go for it.

Only if it happens multiple times but one instance isn't enough to set a rule. This could be the lone exception of this strategy ever working out (and let us make it clear it's very early to say it actually has worked out for Columbus).

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I don't think so. CBJ was in a unique situation. They are rumored to lose their best forward and 2x vezina goalie. You simply just don't replace that type of talent. So instead of letting it go by the wayside, they ramped up for this cup run. They are probably the most unique 8th seed since the Kings in 2012.

I had Columbus as the third best team on paper in the east, they have a ton of talent. 8th seeds usually do not have this kind of goaltender, this D depth and the scoring depth they have. It is a team built to win.

I am surprised yes, but not shocked.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Given how excellent the traded away players are- and, seemingly, how many there are of them- I really wonder how Ottawa managed to be so bad while they still where there.

Horrendous D depth, they only have 2 NHL caliber D men. Well below average goal tending. Bad management/coaching. Terrible locker room camaraderie. Terrible off ice distractions. Bad leadership. Utter sense of hopelessness and defeat the players felt. The sense that nothing at all will be getting better. Even players that loved the city were in a hurry to pick up and leave. When they do not want to be there, they end up playing for themselves not for the team.

And there are any number of other semi credible rumors in Ottawa of off ice issues that would easily affect on ice performance.

Sometimes a team is more than the sum of its parts. In Ottawa it was obvious the opposite was true.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Only if it happens multiple times but one instance isn't enough to set a rule. This could be the lone exception of this strategy ever working out (and let us make it clear it's very early to say it actually has worked out for Columbus).
I was more jabbing at people believing their "perceptions" as truth. Most people had the perception or belief that Tampa would steamroll Columbus. Just because something is widely believed, does not make it correct. Same can be applied to this scenario.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I was more jabbing at people believing their "perceptions" as truth. Most people had the perception or belief that Tampa would steamroll Columbus. Just because something is widely believed, does not make it correct. Same can be applied to this scenario.

I can agree with your sentiment but where I have issue is when it's used to dictate strategy. It's like beating on the least likely scenario , doesn't seem like a smart strategy.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
As a fan, it'd be interesting if teams took bigger swings at the trade deadline, but I doubt this moves the GMs minds that much. I do think CBJ was in a somewhat unique position with Bobs and Panarin. For a second, let's say CBJ wins the Cup because they took a big swing. The corollary to this is what McLellan did with the Caps last year. He took a very small swing, picked up Kempny, and it made a difference for the Caps.

I just don't think GMs will be as willing as Jarmo was in putting all their chips in on one play.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Does going all in with trades to load up for the playoffs when you have expiring contracts on your stars become the new fashion for middling teams?

Instead of trading them for futures to avoid 'losing them for nothing.'

I don't think Columbus was just any middling team, despite the middling record. They have the 4th most regular season wins over the last three years. They had a roster with shit center depth but loaded for bear at every other position. They had plenty of strong guys that were built for playoff play too. They lost two years in a row to the eventual Cup champions, and things could have gone very differently if they played a better team structure that brought out Vezina Bob. I think Jarmo made the right gambit but it was knowing how big of a difference slotting in Duchene would be to a roster that was ready to go in every other aspect, it wasn't just throwing a dart in the wind.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I can agree with your sentiment but where I have issue is when it's used to dictate strategy. It's like beating on the least likely scenario , doesn't seem like a smart strategy.
But if you look at what Columbus gave up, its a far cry from what most people are clamoring about. Couple B level prospects, 1st and 2nd round picks. If you look at Columbus' prospects, not much to worry about. They didn't mortgage the future like everyone is claiming, gave up a lot of draft picks, but no top level prospects.

Reactions: Sstroh84

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Does going all in with trades to load up for the playoffs when you have expiring contracts on your stars become the new fashion for middling teams?

Instead of trading them for futures to avoid 'losing them for nothing.'

Are there examples of other teams in playoff position trading away their star UFAs at trade deadline? I honestly see these threads and wonder what GM quits on a playoff team like that? It seems like a loser mentality for a GM to just quit on fans and the team by dumping their talent. I thought playoffs were the goal? But HF seems to be infatuated with tanking for draft picks instead. Maybe they’re fans who are upset their team didn’t get Bob, Bread or Duchene?

I think Jackets already made out even if Panarin and Bob leave. They got panarin for Saad and Hawks are stuck with Saad for 2 more years at $6M. They got Bob for practically free from flyers. Not like they drafted these guys. There are other ways to grab talent than throwing darts at late 2nd round draft dart board for grab bag 18 year old prospects. If Jarmo sees someone on draft day that he’s crazy about, I’m sure he can come up with a trade. There are a lot dumber GMs out there than Jarmo to dupe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I said it in the "hot takes after game 1" thread;

Columbus will beat tampa, and it will change the NHL landscape, making "all-in" seasons far more common. I don't think it'll be all that common for teams with pending UFAs, like the Blue Jackets are this year. But for teams in the mix as a contender, we'll see more agressive seasons from GMs now.

Kekalainen is a boss, and the league should thank him for giving the trade market some life. The NHL is pretty boring when it comes to player movement. But trades are fun for fans.
I think what would make teams go all in more if is they added draft pick compensation for star level UFAs for the team that loses the player, this way a team like Columbus gets a compensation round pick if another teams signs a star level skater: Panarin/Duchene/Dzingel. The compensation round picks would be between the 1st round & 2nd round depending on the critera for star level player. Also this would mean teams would be more willing to give up high tier prospects & picks to acquire stars via trades because they know they'll get some picks back if they are unable to sign the player after the playoffs. Also this insures that the next time a Tavares situation happens that the team at least gets a pick if they lose the star player as a UFA.

Also unicorns exist in your world?
Yes, Vampires & Werewolves too

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Buzz sawing the Presidents Trophy team doesn’t mean you’re going to win a cup.
In the past 13 years knocking out the presidents trophy team in round 1 does seem to mean you have a 2 in 4 chance of going to the finals & a 1 in 4 chance of winning the cup & a 4 in 5 chance of making it the conference finals:
2006 the Oilers as the 8th seed went to the finals & lost to Carolina.
2012 the LA Kings went to stanley cup finals & won over New Jersey.
2009 The Ducks as the 8th seed made it past only the first round.
2010 The Canadiens made it the eastern conference finals but lose to Philly.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The funny thing is if they win the cup they’ll likely lose every single FA there but who cares at that point. If I’m a blue jackets fan I’m fine with sucking for 5 years after that

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
The beauty is that they didn't go all in. Abramov is a good prospect, no doubt but he still was ranked 5th or so in the CBJ organization among prospects I believe. And pics lost is part of the game and already worth it. So the hurt is not that big at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad