If Columbus wins the Cup...

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I really hope they win the cup, i got cousins & an aunt in Columbus area.
Columbus vs Tampa Bay is like a David vs Goliath story.

I think they have the makings of a Cup winner post trade deadline:
Their Top3 Dmen are great: Jones, Werenski & Murray(produced at half a point per game !).
They got the star forwards: Duchene/Panarin/Atkinson/Dzingel/Dubois.
They got a goalie who's won 2 Vezina trophys but has many off years but Bobrovsky seems to have his mojo back in the playoffs & is playing like Vezina Bob.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Does going all in with trades to load up for the playoffs when you have expiring contracts on your stars become the new fashion for middling teams?

Instead of trading them for futures to avoid 'losing them for nothing.'
I don't think so. CBJ was in a unique situation. They are rumored to lose their best forward and 2x vezina goalie. You simply just don't replace that type of talent. So instead of letting it go by the wayside, they ramped up for this cup run. They are probably the most unique 8th seed since the Kings in 2012.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I don't think so. CBJ was in a unique situation. They are rumored to lose their best forward and 2x vezina goalie. You simply just don't replace that type of talent. So instead of letting it go by the wayside, they ramped up for this cup run. They are probably the most unique 8th seed since the Kings in 2012.
Agreed.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
No, big moves at the TDL seldom pay off in terms of winning a Cup.

This is unique situation and the results, so far, are not typical of what I would expect.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
No, sometimes things work sometimes they don't. Teams will plan accordingly. As they have always been throughout all time.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

And they have nothing in 20 years of existence. Perfect storm.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I really hope they win the cup, i got cousins & an aunt in Columbus area.
Columbus vs Tampa Bay is like a David vs Goliath story.

I think they have the makings of a Cup winner post trade deadline:
Their Top3 Dmen are great: Jones, Werenski & Murray(produced at half a point per game !).
They got the star forwards: Duchene/Panarin/Atkinson/Dzingel/Dubois.
They got a goalie who's won 2 Vezina trophys but has many off years but Bobrovsky seems to have his mojo back in the playoffs & is playing like Vezina Bob.
Bobrovsky had many off years? Please name those years

Reactions: Sentinel

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Would this be the best out come for the Blue Jackets:
Blue Jackets win the cup in 4 games to 2 over the Blues. Blue vs Blue
They trade the rights of their impending UFAs to get some picks & then re-sign some of them anyways like Bobrovsky, Duchene & Dzingel re-sign but to clear cap space they trade Foligno who's not really needed anymore statisticly. Riley Nash retires after winning the cup & his salary off the books.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Would this be the best out come for the Blue Jackets:
Blue Jackets win the cup in 4 games to 2 over the Blues. Blue vs Blue
They trade the rights of their impending UFAs to get some picks & then re-sign some of them anyways like Bobrovsky, Duchene & Dzingel re-sign but to clear cap space they trade Foligno who's not really needed anymore statisticly. Riley Nash retires after winning the cup & his salary off the books.

Also unicorns exist in your world?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Does going all in with trades to load up for the playoffs when you have expiring contracts on your stars become the new fashion for middling teams?

Instead of trading them for futures to avoid 'losing them for nothing.'

Yes. I said it in another thread but this would be great for the sport. Instead of tanking have teams go all in every year

Play to win as its supposed to be.

Pittsburgh have Malkin and Crosby in their prime. Why do they still have their 1st round pick this year? Trade him to go all in this year. Same for Tampa and Washington

Id like to see more teams take big risks like that

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh

And management had the added pressure of the franchise having never won a playoff series. Had they not gone "all in" this year, the message sent to the fans while losing those UFAs would have been: "give up hope, we have."

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Columbus hasn't even officially won the first round yet.

I like how you've waited till they made the finals to ask this question.

Maybe wait until the 1st round is over? There has been 2 teams in recent history who came back from 0-3..... lets wait.

Geez... you guys must be real fun at parties.

It's a hypothetical outcome for the sake of discussion. Obviously it's still early to claim they will win the cup.

As for the actual question posed. No, I don't think so. It's quite a large gamble that would way more often then not fail. Unless some of these player resign in Columbus it's actually pretty devastating from an asset management point of view.

Reactions: JamesFord

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I said it in the "hot takes after game 1" thread;

Columbus will beat tampa, and it will change the NHL landscape, making "all-in" seasons far more common. I don't think it'll be all that common for teams with pending UFAs, like the Blue Jackets are this year. But for teams in the mix as a contender, we'll see more agressive seasons from GMs now.

Kekalainen is a boss, and the league should thank him for giving the trade market some life. The NHL is pretty boring when it comes to player movement. But trades are fun for fans.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad