Blue Jays Discussion: If a Blue Jay falls in a Tavares/Kawhi forest and no one's around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Jack Morris was a really good ball player and was worth watching.
He had winning mentality.
I guess he doesn’t win fantasy league points, obviously he can be any good.

Lol as a Jay he won 21 in ‘92 in spite of his performance. That winning mentality resulted in him going 0-3 with a 7.43 ERA in the ‘92 postseason, and going down with a season ender after a terrible ‘93 campaign.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lol as a Jay he won 21 in ‘92 in spite of his performance. That winning mentality resulted in him going 0-3 with a 7.43 ERA in the ‘92 postseason, and going down with a season ender after a terrible ‘93 campaign.

With the Jays, at the end of his career, he wasn’t as good. TBH, I forgot he played with Toronto.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Drury hit exceptionally well, batting .306/.413/.477 over 55 games between double- and triple-A following his demotion. He drew a walk in 14.3 per cent of his plate appearances, a remarkable number considering his career-high walk rate in the majors was 6.2 per cent. But the Yankees were going with other options at the big-league level. So, Drury toiled until the end of June, when he was finally called back up to the level he felt he deserved to be at.

But that lasted only seven games before Drury was sent back to triple-A. Only two weeks after that, he was a Blue Jay. It’s been a lot to process.

“You know, I think overall it’s going to make me a better player,” he says. “Just going through that, being a guy that was in the big leagues, that was a decent player for a few years, and then to go through all that and get sent down twice after having a little bit of success in the big leagues previously — it wasn’t easy on me. Going through that for this year has been tough on me. But I feel like it’s made me even hungrier and even more ready to go out and do what I know I can do.”

The bet the Blue Jays are making on Drury is that he’s right about his major-league career thus far — that his results haven’t shown anywhere near his true talent level. The Blue Jays are also wagering they can help Drury get past his headache and vision problems once and for all.

When Drury was hiding his issues — as stubborn, ultra-competitive ballplayers sometimes do — he managed their limitations by frequently changing his stance at the plate. He says he doesn’t believe it affected his swing. But it doesn’t take much to get a hitter out of rhythm when he isn’t feeling his best in the batter’s box.

“I’ve dealt with it for a long time,” he says. “I’ve definitely had to try to find different ways to stand at the plate and different ways to see the ball better.”

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Geez what's with these players and their discriminatory past tweets? Why are they posting such stupidity even if they were teenagers, especially on Twitter.

First Hader and now Newcomb and Trea Turner have been revealed tonight.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Geez what's with these players and their discriminatory past tweets? Why are they posting such stupidity even if they were teenagers, especially on Twitter.

First Hader and now Newcomb and Trea Turner have been revealed tonight.

The question I have is who the heck is looking for these tweets? Is there just some guy who has some macro looking for scummy tweets by baseball (or possibly even other sports) players? Or even better going through 7 years worth of tweets looking for this stuff when they were teenagers? Just why?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Meh, Juan Soto is also a teenager and up with the Nationals and producing well. An argument management has already held him down longer than need be. He's the best prospect in baseball for a reason and he's going to be a star, that's not really a question.

it's already embarassing that he hasn't been called up.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. I think he'd be easily the best hitter on the team right now.

I just get the impression that management is planning on doing the Mike Trout thing and leaving him in AAA for a month at the start of next year to extend their years of team control ... and really wonder if that will be allowed to happen. There's too much money to be made by having him here now.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
What are people’s thoughts on Gurriel Jr’s long term potential? Seems like a beauty every time I watch him. I like him and Bo up the middle starting as soon as next season or at least for 2020. Drury hopefully works out at 3B and Vladdy to 1B. Hope we can find a stud in the outfield to go with Grichuk and one of Pompey, Alford, etc. Hernandez to DH. I kinda like the future look of the team. Hope Sanchez can work out his finger issues but also excited about Pearson, Pannone, Borucki too. Oh and Jansen behind the plate. Exciting.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
What are people’s thoughts on Gurriel Jr’s long term potential? Seems like a beauty every time I watch him. I like him and Bo up the middle starting as soon as next season or at least for 2020. Drury hopefully works out at 3B and Vladdy to 1B. Hope we can find a stud in the outfield to go with Grichuk and one of Pompey, Alford, etc. Hernandez to DH. I kinda like the future look of the team. Hope Sanchez can work out his finger issues but also excited about Pearson, Pannone, Borucki too. Oh and Jansen behind the plate. Exciting.

Well, it depends. Some people saw the performance last year in the minors, and dismissed him outright, ignoring the year off from baseball. I think some of the bitterness (or at the very least cynicism) towards him stemmed from the link to the Morales (and Edwin) signing\non-singing.

That said, BBA has loved him from the start, specifically Ben Badler. He's got great bat control, and can cover the plate nicely. Also, surprising pop for a guy of his build. All that said, he doesn't walk enough to really have a high level of sustained success. I think you're looking at a very similar player to what his brother is (~100-110 wRC+, with the ability to get very hot and carry you at times, while disappearing for stretches due to the approach), with him ultimately finding a spot as a corner outfielder and\or utility infielder (in the Marwin Gonzalez mould). He's not who you want as your starting SS (which is earmarked for Bo anyway, at least breaking in). At best, he functions as a placeholder there until Bo comes up.

Going forward, I personally view him as one of the secondary core support players (along with Teoscar (LF\DH), Jansen (C), Grichuk (CF\RF), Cavan (2B\1B), Rowdy (DH\1B), eventually K. Smith (SS\3B\2B)) who supply you with ~2+ fWAR while Vladdy and Bo mash as your two headed monster (ala the Indians).

I too like the look of the team going forward, at the very least in terms of their position players. Where they need to strike gold is getting lucky with some of the starting pitching. Borucki looks great, and I am high on SRF, they need one of Zeuch\Romano\Pannone\Harris to become an average (~1.5 fwar) major league starter. Then of course the lotto ticket in Pearson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver91

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Jays can expect exactly what the Yankees had to give up when they first acquired Chapman from the Reds. 2 top 10 prospects in the organization and 2 other prospects in the lower minors could be expected for a 23 year old closer with team control. Anything less would be unacceptable and the Jays should hold on to Osuna and let him earn his rep back in Toronto.

Reactions: trellaine201

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Yep better not give him away. But I’m kinda assuming there just gauging what type of interest. Not enough time to make a deal of this magnitude.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I too would rather keep a 23 year old like Osuna that made a mistake. I feel the return will be a bunch of question marks when we already have a proven commodity that will be part of the winning culture in the future. With that being said, I do not know if Rogers will allow someone like him to be part of their organization??? Look at what they did to Zaunie!!!! From what is assumed without specifics being known, Osuna has done worse.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Most of these guys are pieces of ****. Osuna just got caught. as long as he can throw the ball he’s good in my book
You mean you don't watch sports because you want to watch good wholesome gentlemen teaching life lessons in between action and raising everyone's children so they don't have to?

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Despite the baggage that Osuna now carries, I would definitely prefer to keep him around for at least the rest of this season unless a team out there offers an elite prospect, because despite the baggage, Osuna is an elite on-field asset.

Because of the suspension, any team that has Osuna now has an extra year of control, adding even more valuable to someone who was already an elite relief pitcher. I have always said that if I had to deal one of Osuna/Stroman/Sanchez, that I would be dealing Osuna first, but right now just doesn’t seem like the right time.

I would have no problem with them keeping him for the rest of the season, letting teams see that he can still perform at a high level and let him fix his reputation a bit, and then look to deal him in the offseason, if dealing him is in fact what they want to do.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think Osuna has forced the Jays hand. I hate to convict the guy without any information, but based on the response from the MLB and the Jays there seems to be enough evidence that he probably shouldn’t come back to Toronto. At the same time, if anyone wants to lay him, they don’t get him for nothing. He’d rot before I gave him away.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Despite the baggage that Osuna now carries, I would definitely prefer to keep him around for at least the rest of this season unless a team out there offers an elite prospect, because despite the baggage, Osuna is an elite on-field asset.

Because of the suspension, any team that has Osuna now has an extra year of control, adding even more valuable to someone who was already an elite relief pitcher. I have always said that if I had to deal one of Osuna/Stroman/Sanchez, that I would be dealing Osuna first, but right now just doesn’t seem like the right time.

I would have no problem with them keeping him for the rest of the season, letting teams see that he can still perform at a high level and let him fix his reputation a bit, and then look to deal him in the offseason, if dealing him is in fact what they want to do.

I agree with this 125%.

But with that being said I hope he repairs his reputation to the point that he learns from his mistakes and gives back to the Toronto community. His ceiling is huge as a player and fits in with what the Jays are trying to build here. I always thought that this kid was the Jays Mariano Riveria. Career long closer for one team. Here's hoping that he can and the Jays can work something out internally.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If Osuna was a replacement level player, everyone would be down with cutting him. Being very good doesn’t excuse his actions.

The poster above who said he “made a mistake”, come on. You think he was an angel, then woke up one day and hit his wife? There are other forms of domestic violence that aren’t physical, which you barely hear about. There’s a progression to get to this point. He’s a POS and it’ll be great when he’s no longer associated with this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad