Ice Being Laid At T-Mobile Arena For First Time - Pics/Vids/Interviews

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Nice. It looks like a solid venue for hockey. Thank you for the pictures.

Now, it's time to buy some paraphernalia.

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
I would have put pictures in but I couldn't figure out how to do it. So... make my day and visit my site instead. :yo:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Looks like they're going the decal route instead of painting the logos and arena name.

I'm sure that's just because it's not going to last long.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Looks like they're going the decal route instead of painting the logos and arena name.

I'm sure that's just because it's not going to last long.

Something needs to change with the T-Mobile Arena part. The fact that T-Mobile takes up more space than Arena drives me batty.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Something needs to change with the T-Mobile Arena part. The fact that T-Mobile takes up more space than Arena drives me batty.

I said the same thing. They need to add the little swoopy thing over Arena like they have in their logos to kind of even it out.

pmQW9o9W.jpg

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Logos (and straight lines) that I'm aware of at NHL arenas are "decals" (frozen into the ice -- under 1/2 inch or so). The only things "hand painted" are the (curved) lines and face off circles.

Ice, white paint, ice, logos, ice, lines/etc., ice = final ice sandwich.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Logos (and straight lines) that I'm aware of at NHL arenas are "decals" (frozen into the ice -- under 1/2 inch or so). The only things "hand painted" are the (curved) lines and face off circles.

Ice, white paint, ice, logos, ice, lines/etc., ice = final ice sandwich.

Blackhawks always painted the ice whenever I saw it. Perhaps they're the only ones because of the logo complexity.

I'd never really cared enough to see how any one else did it and just assumed it was always painted.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Decals? I swear I've seen photos/video where the artwork/logos are painted. How do they get the ice so uniformly perfectly white?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Decals? I swear I've seen photos/video where the artwork/logos are painted. How do they get the ice so uniformly perfectly white?

I watched a few videos last night and this morning, pretty sure hand painting is still the norm. Chicago, Buffalo, Los Angeles, and Minnesota definitely still paint everything by hand.

The only decal one I found beside this temporary setup at T-MA was the Sharks 25th anniversary logo for this year.

ETA: just found a Winnipeg decal one. Perhaps it's just the choice of the ice team and how much time they want to spend painting.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
From NHL.com:

Workers began laying the frozen surface Saturday at T-Mobile Arena, the home of the Las Vegas NHL expansion franchise that will enter the NHL for the 2017-18 season. The first hockey game there will be a preseason game between the Los Angeles Kings and Dallas Stars on Oct. 7. The Kings will play the Colorado Avalanche the following day.

Checking my calendar.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Next Challenge for T-Mobile Arena: Ice

To quote:

"“Arizona just showed up yesterday,†said the former ice maker and facility engineer at Las Vegas Ice Center on West Flamingo Road. “They have the same ambient temperature we do. We want to pick their brain — ‘What do you guys do when it’s 115 degrees outside with 25-percent humidity?’ So we’re just trying to figure all that out right now.â€â€¦

It’s one thing to create ice when the building is empty; it’s another thing to maintain the ice when the doors have been in use and there is a capacity crowd in the stands. Everyone takes ice maintenance for granted until those hot days when there’s plenty of slush on the surface."

Source: http://arenadigest.com/2016/07/31/next-challenge-for-t-mobile-arena-ice/

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Is it going to be like Barclay's where players have to wait for a TV-timeout to head to their respective locker rooms for skate fixes/injuries? Unless my eyes deceive me - it looks like there are no tunnels within distance of the bench..

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Is it going to be like Barclay's where players have to wait for a TV-timeout to head to their respective locker rooms for skate fixes/injuries? Unless my eyes deceive me - it looks like there are no tunnels within distance of the bench..

One of our sets of eyes is deceiving us.

Pretty sure those tunnels have access.

ETA: opening the image and expanding it, looks like there's definitely access.

Jun 6, 2016
There is 100% access tunnels to the back of the benches.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Question for the locals.
How is the team/NHL being received in the city?
I would assume any of the other 3 major sports leagues would have been preferable as they're higher profile but this being the 1st major league franchise not only in town but the state should be a really big deal.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Question for the locals.
How is the team/NHL being received in the city?
I would assume any of the other 3 major sports leagues would have been preferable as they're higher profile but this being the 1st major league franchise not only in town but the state should be a really big deal.

It's hard to tell, I'm in the circle of people that are really excited so I'm kind of deep in the lovefest.

The announcement was huge, McPhee got top news coverage, and people are pretty interested.

I think it's hard to tell until something tangible is available. Meaning that there's a team, but it's still just kind of a concept. As soon there's a name, logos, hats, shirts, etc. I think we'll get a lot of the more casual fans interested.

Everyone I've spoken to in my store has been really positive now that the team is actually coming. Prior to that there were a lot of people saying they'd rather have basketball or football. Not so much of that anymore, though there are some Raiders people floating around.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
That's funny- I've seen that Salami guy cut the ice about a thousand times at LVIC..... Never knew his name. Now there he is again! Big time!

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
That's funny- I've seen that Salami guy cut the ice about a thousand times at LVIC..... Never knew his name. Now there he is again! Big time!

He's the coolest guy ever. I talked to him for about 4 minutes yesterday and now he's coming on the podcast. Gonna be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad