Speculation: I think 2021 draft picks are less valuable due to covid restrictions.

IdontSpitOnTheIce

Apr 27, 2012
I think that 2021 draft picks are less valuable to trade because the covid situation is restricting the potential of scouts to do their jobs effectively.

Also the quarantine imposed on players who are traded from USA to Canada, this might be the most quiet trade deadline ever.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Not only the scouts limited time the limited icetime of the young players make this a crap shoot. Even in the better years outside a top 5 pick your just hoping. So many put such emphasis on picks it is puzzling. With each expansion the talent pool in the league is watered down more and more. The youth movement has bit a number of teams in the ass. But it is not going to change, the quality of the game has suffered for going on 20 years now.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If anything that should result in teams trying to acquire a higher quantity of picks. B/c it's not necessarily that the talent is so bad, it's that there's less knowledge. First round picks should not be as valuable as they generally are, but lower picks shouldn't be too much less valuable.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The lack of information about prospects will increase the volatility of the value of draft picks. Not necessarily decrease the value of all picks.

There will be teams that place more value on picks this year as they might feel they have a list of 1st round talent throughout the Draft. There will be other teams that place less value on picks this year as it is much more of a gamble.

If I had to guess I think it will make the value of picks flatter. The value of later 1sts and 2nds will rise relative to previous years. Top picks almost never get traded but I'd guess their value will decrease relative to past years where player tiers are pretty well locked-in. Teams in the top-10 may be more willing to trade down for more darts.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Honestly. This forum was talking about Auston Matthews 2 years before his draft date. Nothing changed. He was number 1 just like he was projected two years prior. So I think Scouts have the ability to evaluate players during this pandemic.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
All teams heavily scout 16 year olds in junior as well as draft eligible players. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams (that are extremely confident of their scouting of 16 year olds last season) try to load up on alot of mid round picks so they can potentially get alot of steals in those rounds.

Reactions: Realgud

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like earlier picks are less valuable than normal but for that same reason 3rds and later should be worth more. Total crapshoot this year so you'd probably want a bunch of late rounders for more shots.

Reactions: voxel

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not only the scouts limited time the limited icetime of the young players make this a crap shoot. Even in the better years outside a top 5 pick your just hoping. So many put such emphasis on picks it is puzzling. With each expansion the talent pool in the league is watered down more and more. The youth movement has bit a number of teams in the ass. But it is not going to change, the quality of the game has suffered for going on 20 years now.
You know what? 20 years ago people were saying the same thing. And 20 years before that.

Hockey players are better trained than they ever have been. The main difference I have seen is that the bottom six players are faster than ever, and the goalies bigger than ever. These two factors make it tougher to score, as the talent gap between players has narrowed, and you have ginormous dudes filling up the goal crease and allowing pucks to hit them. The worst, most diluted hockey was in the late 60's and early 70's. You had a very few talented teams like the Bruins and Habs racking up wins against expansion teams that were truly awful. Euro and American players were rare, and the WHA was siphoning off talent. Now THAT was watered down hockey.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I feel like earlier picks are less valuable than normal but for that same reason 3rds and later should be worth more. Total crapshoot this year so you'd probably want a bunch of late rounders for more shots.
I don't know about worth more, but i would agree that the first rounders or so will be worth a bit less.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Honestly. This forum was talking about Auston Matthews 2 years before his draft date. Nothing changed. He was number 1 just like he was projected two years prior. So I think Scouts have the ability to evaluate players during this pandemic.

There’s also players like Sean Day and Kylington who were highly touted until this draft year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

This is true of a small number of players at the top. But every year there are major risers. Taking last Draft for example - Jack Quinn and Seth Jarvis would have been mid round picks based on D-1 years.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is true of a small number of players at the top. But every year there are major risers. Taking last Draft for example - Jack Quinn and Seth Jarvis would have been mid round picks based on D-1 years.

So diversify your picks like you would with your investments. Hit on all rounds and all players. Also a lot of Euro players get drafted. Have they all been not playing this whole time. Probably not.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think the mediocre showing by the draft-eligible players at the World Juniors is probably a poor overall reflection of the talent level of this current draft class.

It would have been a mediocre year regardless.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
I predict there will be more late round gems then usual this draft when we look back in 5 years

Reactions: pth2

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
?? The youth movement has caused the quality of the game to suffer for going on 20 years now? Seems like a weird take with the game being faster, more skilled, and average age of player is lower than ever rn.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
when i read the headline, i expected it to be about how 'buying' teams valued this year's picks less, so will trade them more than usual

IMHO, it may be less likely that '21 picks will be valued less by sellers, often they sell to meet objectives beyond just return - get any return for an expiring, almost expiring, or not-currently-worth-the Cap-Hit contract,
clear vets from roster to open spots for prospects, out of serious contention so retooling re guys who are not 'core'

ie, so if picks are less critical, then they are more disposable, and perhaps we see more trades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad