I sure hope the Russians aren't much better than the Czech's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The Russians did beat the Czechs 7:2 just a few days ago :P

I'm not predicting any blowouts for tomorrow though. The US didn't play well, but I think they'll bring their 'A' game tomorrow and who knows what will happen.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Unless Russia chokes big time tomorrow should be an easy game. In order for US to be able to compete with Russia they need to increase their intensity a notch. I am not so sure they will be able to do that because they have very short amount of time to recover. Czech team outplayed USA big time, the only thing is the Czech team just like Sweden does not have any elite finishers. Give these chances to Russia and it will be game over very quick.

It is a game and anything might happen, goalie can allow goal on a first shot and the game might go down the toilet but if everything will go as it should Russia should be able to handle US tomorrow.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
The Russians did beat the Czechs 7:2 just a few days ago :P

I'm not predicting any blowouts for tomorrow though. The US didn't play well, but I think they'll bring their 'A' game tomorrow and who knows what will happen.

If they can block a gizillion more shots they should be fine!

Chinaski*

Russians are better. You should start worrying right now.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
HabLover said:
If they can block a gizillion more shots they should be fine!

Haha yeah, the US blocked a lot of shots tonight, but as I was watching the game, I was thinking that the Russian forwards would probably take advantage of that.

I mean once they wind up for a shot and see that the US player is getting ready to block, they could either pass the puck or go around the player unlike the Czechs who just kept taking slap shots for most of the game.

That, and I think after all the blocked shots tonight, I'm thinking that the guys who kept going under the puck today are probably all going to be sore tomorrow so that will hopefully play to Russia's advantage.

It's also good for Russia that tomorrow will be US' 4th game in 5 nights, they must be exhausted while we haven't played since saturday, and one of our players, Kulemin, missed 2 games due to suspension so he should be even fresher.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I think if Russia comes out hard in the 1st period and get a few goals, it will be much tougher for the US to come back in the game. I really really hope Khudobin plays well tomorrow and Malkin goes on FIRE! :)

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
The US coaches can use the celebrating on their home ice in that game last year as motivation. The game I feel will depend mostly on the play of Khudobin. Hes been a rollercoaster ride in Saskatoon this year so you never really know what goalie is gonna show up. I fully expect this game to be close. If Khudobin is on 4-2 Russia, if not 5-4 USA

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Richard_Zednik said:
this one is gonna be over in the 1st period, RUSSIA

Yeah because who does the US team have on defense anyways?

pshh it's just like.. Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Brian Lee, Matt Niskanen, Chris Butler,Taylor Chorney, Mark Mitera ..I mean who are they right?

And then Russia's goaltending is like....is like....is like...

Let me get back to you on that.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Yeah because who does the US team have on defense anyways?

pshh it's just like.. Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Brian Lee, Matt Niskanen, Chris Butler,Taylor Chorney, Mark Mitera ..I mean who are they right?
What a names ... They are Toews of defence : Tie from Switzerland, Five goals from Finland, tons of moments from Czechs (thanks to Cory) and still huge hype around because they were or will be 1st rounders ;)

Rush5Collapse5 said:
And then Russia's goaltending is like....is like....is like...
Is like leading in almost all stats categories for goalies, right ? :D

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Kaizer said:
What a names ... They are Toews of defence : Tie from Switzerland, Five goals from Finland, tons of moments from Czechs (thanks to Cory) and still huge hype around because they were or will be 1st rounders ;)

US team D are far from "the Toews of defense".

Russian Teams Defense might be though:

Vjateslav Buravchikov = #191st overall :biglaugh:
Andrei Zubarev = HFProspect Grade: 6.0 C :biglaugh:
Kirill Lyamin = Round 2 #58 overall :snide:
Nikita Nikitin = 5th round, #136th overall :biglaugh:
Alexei Yemelin = round 3 #84 overall :biglaugh:

^ Toews of Defense

The games the US D had trouble in were against teams warmed up by the Canadian's. Both the Swiss and The Fins were "woken up" by the Canadian's, and played much tougher the next time around.
Just like how we blew Norway away, but the Canadian's didn't even come close to that score against them.

The only downside is the US team are all tired as hell now. :shakehead

The one upside for us is:

Russian's goaltending = :deadhorse

:handclap:

-

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Rush5Collapse5 said:
The only downside is the US team are all tired as hell now. :shakehead

That.......and the fact that we're a vastly overrated team. Let's be honest, coming in we were heavily favored and, admit it or not, have survived by the skin of our teeth.
We still have a good shot at gold; but if we don't get it it's not gonna be because we were 'too tired'.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Zine said:
That.......and the fact that we're a vastly overrated team. Let's be honest, coming in we were heavily favored and, admit it or not, have survived by the skin of our teeth.
We still have a good shot at gold; but if we don't get it it's not gonna be because we were 'too tired'.

Check the scheduling and get back at me. US team played all "warmed up" teams excluding Norway. Look how Canada did with the team we warmed up compared to our rout over Norway.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Rush5Collapse5 said:
JJ - 3rd overall
EJ - Projected as Top-5
Lee - Top-15
Niskanen - 1st round
Butler and Hagemo - I don't remember and care.

I share one secret with, maybe you don't know ... It doesn't count :sarcasm:
USA - 13 goals allowed. Russia - 6 goal allowed. Yeah, 3 1st rounders and one future 1st rounder + 1st round goalie allowed twice more than these " :biglaugh: " with goalie ... like ... like ... like " :deadhorse:" :sarcasm:

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Where do you find ^ Toews of Defense
Watched today's game and game against Finland also you can try to find them here :
http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournaments_06/output/w20/hydra.iihf.com/IIHF_Core/jsp/content/web_output/index.jsp@compId=55

Rush5Collapse5 said:
The only downside is the US team are all tired as hell now
When they had a tie with Switzerland they were tired as hell too ? :sarcasm:

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Russian's goaltending = :deadhorse
http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournaments_06/output/w20/hydra.iihf.com/data/iihf/output/xml/55/IHM055Z09_85A_1_0.html
Go figure with draft numbers :D

Last edited:

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004

^ Toews of Defense

There must be no good players picked outside of the first round. You just proved right there that the American defense is sooooo much stronger. Having watched the games, and looking at the stats, I now realise how it is all make believe. The American players have better names! wow. Besides, The US were the favorites going in to the tournament, we shouldn't even entertain the idea of a close game now should we?!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Check the scheduling and get back at me. US team played all "warmed up" teams excluding Norway. Look how Canada did with the team we warmed up compared to our rout over Norway.

Bottom line -- if we're as good as you say we are, the schedule shouldn't make one bit of difference. We should have handled teams regardless of if they were 'warmed up' or not - especially Switzerland. Finland didn't seem to have too much trouble against a warmed up Switzerland. Quit making excuses. :shakehead

We could've had an extra day off but didn't because we weren't good enough. We put ourselves in this position and blaming the schedule is just childish.

Last edited:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Russia has played -

Slovakia :biglaugh:

Sweden :)

Latvia :biglaugh:

Czech Republic :clap:

with many days of rest
---------------------------------------

Schneider's not on that list btw - 2.00 GAA
Frazee has sucked.

USA has played :
Norway :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Switzerland :biglaugh: They had a tie :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Finland :) It was close game :biglaugh:
Canada :clap:

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Kaizer said:
USA has played :
Norway :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Switzerland :biglaugh: They had a tie :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Finland :) It was close game :biglaugh:
Canada :clap:

Hey now, Switzerland wasn't that bad this year. That coach pulled a "team Canada" out of his hat. Ask the Canadian's, they had trouble putting them away, but peved them off enough to fight us tooth and nail for a tie.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Hey now, Switzerland wasn't that bad this year. That coach pulled a "team Canada" out of his hat. Ask the Canadian's, they had trouble putting them away, but peved them off enough to fight us tooth and nail for a tie.
Why to ask, I've seen this game (Canada vs. Switzerland) - we had all canadian games here. It was like Russia vs. Latvia - there was no need to go with full force. Excuses, again excuses, already excuses :biglaugh:
12 1st rounders, they weren't tired and it was tie. Try to put few ":biglaugh:" with names of Swiss D-men now :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad