I Say Look into Trading Leddy (Only in a Package for a Need)

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
We still have dire need for #2 C ,, Unless Sharp goes back to play C

Ugh. Why? We still light up the score sheet. Our forwards aren't really the problem. Having a better 2C probably doesn't help out the defense & Crawford much.

Very few teams have a top-4 as quality as the Hawks. Add in a 20-goal scorer in Stalberg. Bolland could be a 2C but they play him at 3C.

The need for a 2C is so overblown it's ridiculous. The need for not one but two legitimate 2nd-pair d-men is the real issue.

Since we can't have that at least we have 6 3rd-pair d-men. At least we have depth in guys who can at least play a little and keep Leddy from being on the ice for 22 minutes a game.

The talk of trading away a 21-yr old d-man who played the 3rd-most minutes per game last season is insane. Trade him for older, more expensive 2nd-line centers? Why? That is a marginal improvement. That helps the defense very little. The Bolland line is still your supposed shutdown line but they were horrible last year at doing just that. A new 2C doesn't help that.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Leddy is 21, the same age as Keith was when he made his NHL debut.

Leddy may have something to learn, but he has some time to do it.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Ugh. Why? We still light up the score sheet. Our forwards aren't really the problem. Having a better 2C probably doesn't help out the defense & Crawford much.

Very few teams have a top-4 as quality as the Hawks. Add in a 20-goal scorer in Stalberg. Bolland could be a 2C but they play him at 3C.

The need for a 2C is so overblown it's ridiculous. The need for not one but two legitimate 2nd-pair d-men is the real issue.

Since we can't have that at least we have 6 3rd-pair d-men. At least we have depth in guys who can at least play a little and keep Leddy from being on the ice for 22 minutes a game.

The talk of trading away a 21-yr old d-man who played the 3rd-most minutes per game last season is insane. Trade him for older, more expensive 2nd-line centers? Why? That is a marginal improvement. That helps the defense very little. The Bolland line is still your supposed shutdown line but they were horrible last year at doing just that. A new 2C doesn't help that.

Some folks like to pretend that Hawks have 1 or 2 issues that need addressing and the team will be fine. That's simply not so. It starts with spotty management decisions and poor coaching. Q's system is not working and Kitchen is still here. They fire Havs as a scapegoat and turn around and hire Kompon (much to the relief of many Kings fans). Q and Stan seem badly out of sync to me. On the ice, the team STILL needs improvement in the top 6 (specifically a genuine 2nd line centerman) and needs more grit throughout the line up. Other than Toews we are poor in the face-off circle, the specialty teams continue to underperform badly and our goaltending is arguably the worst in the league. Our dmen refuse to clear the crease in front of the frail goaltending and we have no one it seems who is willing to take the punishment and play the dirty roll in front of the opps net. There is a lot wrong, and 1 or 2 fixes is not enough to get this team back to being a legitimate contender. Don't mean to be downer, but thems the facts.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012

I believe the lack of grit/toughness in the top 9 makes it difficult for this team to compete/score in those grind it out series such as the Phoenix series last year. I think the Hawks would struggle against them again this year as well as LA, St. Louis or Nashville in a playoff series.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Leddy is a great skater with the puck in transition, has improved offensively, but is still a train wreck in his own end. Not all of his defensive shortcomings can be excused because he is young. He clearly was rushed into way too many minutes, but he doesn't show much of a nose for playing defense either. He is definitely worth something, but I would not hesitate to trade him in a deal for either a #2C or a tough top 6 forward.

I wonder if Leddy might have greater value in an org that could keep him in the A for a year, but under a good coach. I watched Rockford the other day and they did not look like a well-coached team.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Some folks like to pretend that Hawks have 1 or 2 issues that need addressing and the team will be fine. That's simply not so. It starts with spotty management decisions and poor coaching. Q's system is not working and Kitchen is still here. They fire Havs as a scapegoat and turn around and hire Kompon (much to the relief of many Kings fans). Q and Stan seem badly out of sync to me. On the ice, the team STILL needs improvement in the top 6 (specifically a genuine 2nd line centerman) and needs more grit throughout the line up. Other than Toews we are poor in the face-off circle, the specialty teams continue to underperform badly and our goaltending is arguably the worst in the league. Our dmen refuse to clear the crease in front of the frail goaltending and we have no one it seems who is willing to take the punishment and play the dirty roll in front of the opps net. There is a lot wrong, and 1 or 2 fixes is not enough to get this team back to being a legitimate contender. Don't mean to be downer, but thems the facts.

Get off the ledge. Your guess is as good as mine about Crawford. He could be average, he could be what he was last year. That's still not worst in the league. The offense is fine. Yeah an upgrade at 2C would give us maybe the best top-6 in the West. Probably not going to happen and as it is we still have 4 of the best forwards in the West. There is plenty of forward depth coming up through the minors including many C's. If you are going to be trading assets it should be for some real impact help on defense.

A good defense can make Crawford look good. Better PK play will certainly help Crawford's numbers. Better PP play would have made last year's team the best offense in the West.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
who replaces Leddy?

Keith - Seabs is 1st pair

who will move the puck other than them? Oduya? Hjalmarsson? Brookbank? Brown out of the WHL? Redden when he was bought out?

I'd consider trading him as long as we don't have to add anything of real value, get a 2nd Line Center back that makes 4.5 million or less and that Center has to be good at faceoffs and have a good/solid Two way game. Contract has to be longer than 2 years and the player has to be younger than 27 years old.
Wait, we won't get that back? Who would have thought that?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Pretty much agree on if we get a GOOD 2C, it is worth it. If we get someone like Gagne, I really hope people here don't try to spin that as a good deal. It would be terrible.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Well, we are all talking about a 21 year old D-man here. It is odd to see that some in here are resigned to the thought that he is incapable of making any discernible improvement in his own zone. With his current contract and upside I do not see the reason for trading him for a marginal upgrade in the forward department, this team's strength. If Bobby Ryan is the coup, then yes, of course you pull the trigger on the trade. Other than that I say you give the kid a chance to develop further.

One thing that has not really been talked about yet which I would be loathe to not mention is this coaching staff's impact on his growth as a player. I would say it is a net negative; I would hope that a change of coaching (which I believe will happen sooner rather than later) would improve the arc of his development. Just my 2 cents.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Leddy has an important role as a PMD. Plus he has a lot more potential. I'd rather see him stay unless some crazy offer came along. Hopefully he'll improve substantially in his own end.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
i'd trade saad before trading leddy.

...and rather than trying to trade for ryan, i'd prefer to try to sign perry or getzlaf.

I know everyone seems to be soured on Saad with his unspectacular debut season in Rockford...but I'd still trade Leddy before Saad.

I would focus on trying to land a #1 goaltender in a deal that sends Leddy out. It's probably easier to acquire a goaltender than a #2 center, and it would probably help this team's Cup chances more as well.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It would take a hell of a return for me to let Leddy go. Someone like a Bobby Ryan, sure, I'm in for that. He's not untouchable but it would really take a can't-say-no return for me to feel good about letting him go. I don't think people truly appreciate what we have in him and are just too impatient and look enough at the big picture. Defensemen with his skill level and already doing some things he does at his age don't come along that often. You do not pull the plug on that unless something reallysignificant that changes your team immediately is available to you.

Martini*

That's shocking.

Well, considering the Hawks still have Nick Leddy in Rockford, but he just goes by the name of Adam Clendening, I would say having too much Nick Leddy is too much of a luxury to hold onto and trading one of them to make the Hawks better would be spoiling another team with the graces of great skating and possibly the poorest defensive play this side of a blind Nick Boyton.

Dont need to be greedy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad