Speculation: I need elite speculation on Josh Leivo

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
My elite speculation is that contrary to Babcock being a big meanie Leivo has some other stuff going on that the public aren't privy to knowing.

And my other speculation is that Gauthier gets the Leivo treatment next season (namely, spends the entire season on the NHL roster and hardly plays).

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think the better question might be:

If Leivo played on the current Marlies team; what would be his production and where would he rank in terms of importance to the team?

• If the answer comes anywhere close to Johnsson; then he is as important as Johnsson
  • If the answer comes less important than Johnsson but more important than others; then he is better than Grundstrom, Marchment etc...
  • If the answer is as good as Grundstrom, Marchment etc... then he is at that calibre
  • If the answer is below all of them; then Leivo should be just traded or waived as he is not as integral to the team

What I think?
Leivo's confidence has been shattered due the treatment he received; so either Babs builds his confidence up during training camp; OR ELSE he is not gonna pan out.

I had and still have high hopes for Leivo; lets see what happens

I like this post, but you need to clarify. You think he's not a NHL regular because of mistreatment (shattered confidence)?

I just thought he is just one of the many NHLers to never take the next step.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I will always defend Leivo because I think if he doesn't make this roster because of Babcock, we've wasted a good talent.

He's got size.

He can play the two way game.

He can play in tight spaces around the net.

He is elite along the boards.

He can shoot the puck better than most of our forwards.

But for some reason he took a back seat to guys like Komarov and Martin. Given the opportunity, it honestly would not surprise me if he's better than Hyman and Brown as well.

I had expected he'd become a player for us too.... looked like a useful middle 6 forward to me....

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
1. Marner
2. Nylander
3. Brown
4. Marleau
5. Johnsson
6. Hyman
7. Kapanen
8. Grundstrom
9. Martin

Id have all 9 of these wingers ahead of Leivo. So he has a very slim chance at being a full time Leaf

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I will always defend Leivo because I think if he doesn't make this roster because of Babcock, we've wasted a good talent.

He's got size.

But for some reason he took a back seat to guys like Komarov and Martin. Given the opportunity, it honestly would not surprise me if he's better than Hyman and Brown as well.

Yes exactly. They've done themselves no favours by not playing him. Noone benefits from rotting in the press-box

Reactions: PromisedLand

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
not confirmed. the guy has 9 nhl games to his credit. leivo is more experienced. chances are johnson will start on the 4th line with martin sitting on the bench
Isn’t it obvious Johnsson has passed leivo on the depth chart? He might sniff out a spot on the right side if Nylander moves to center like someone else mentioned.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
It depends if he works on his foot speed and skating this summer he could make a splash at training camp. would help if he could find some consistency and a couple line mates to get chemistry he could do some damage. im pulling for the guy. but the time is now or he will be waiver fodder and another team can try and make it work.

But that all depends if babcock sees him as part of the team or not. if he is give the chance he better take full advantage of it cause there is a ton of other wingers that will

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He really is a fascinating player, has clear NHL offencisve upside, and on the team with less depth wingers would definitely be in the lineup.

I can see Dubas wanted to give him a chance, but Babcock doesn’t seem to be much of a fan. And without much playing time can’t see him holding much trade value unfortunately. Hopefully he gets a shot at the lineup

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he was here and got some nhl games in before

nylander
marner
hyman
brown
kapanen
johnsson

and day by day one at a time all have clearly passed him, there are marlies not far behind too, its time for leivo to show something this camp or its his last camp with leafs period

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Hyman .Matthews. Marner
Marleau. Kadri. Kapanen
Johnsson. Nylander. Leivo
Grundstrom xxxxx. Brown

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
i think the leafs will sign a mid-6 forward to a 1 yr deal to replace jvr. i think leivo should get that spot but management might think otherwise

I agree.
The Leafs have lots of cap room for this season so I expect it could be used to "over-pay" a UFA to take a one year deal.
Joe Thornton, Thomas Vanek or Michael Grabner could be possible targets.
I think Leivo will be traded just before the season starts, when teams have had a chance to see what they have in training camp and realize they still need some scoring depth.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Each team need 3 players in the press box each night and you don't want your "almost ready" guys there, you want them playing. Enter Leivo.

Sucks for him (aside from the pay cheque) but it's a role that needs to be filled.

I agree with you. But Leivo did sign an extension to be a Leaf. If he had wanted he could have been RFA come July 1st but he didn't want to go that route. He made his choice and it still might be the 13th/14th forward come October. Leafs have had lots of luck with no injuries to their wingers in the past two years, maybe it catches up to them in 2018/19.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

He's got size.

That's great that Leivo has those assets but he doesn't bring enough of any speciality or two to keep him in the lineup.

Martin hitting everything in sight and being a heavyweight by today's standards has given him an NHL career.

Komarov being a pest who gets under the skin of other's team is a huge reason he stayed in the lineup. As well as being able to take draws, PK, etc.

Hyman and Brown being puck hounds who can do it without taking penalties is a huge part of their value. It opens up a lot of room for others and gives us more possession of the puck. Them also being good on the PK and excellent defensively is another big asset that gets them quality minutes.

Leivo could likely match the offensive production of Hyman/Brown but he just isn't hard enough to play against so he likely won't get the minutes to ever.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
An opinion that no one here has had:

Kyle Dubas is HUGE on building strong communication and relationships with his players. I don't think there's a chance that he leaves Leivo in the state that he's in. Leivo will either play in the NHL, get set down to the AHL to play for the Marlies, get picked up by a different team on waivers or get traded.

I.e Clune and Campbell back in 2016 about Dubas being their boss:

"First and foremost, he cares about his players," said Clune. "That's all you can ask for in a manager, is someone who truly care for the well-being of their players. When there's a trust factor between Kyle and the players is so strong that everyone wants to play hard for him."
Said Campbell: "He's stern when he needs to be. He definitely lets us players do our thing, gives us our space to operate. As far as being a veteran player, a leader, he's been a great source for me to lean on. He's very approachable and honest. That's what you look for as a player. You want someone in that capacity to be approachable. You definitely know he's on your side."

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
How realistic is it that Josh Leivo will be a full time Leaf next season?

Marleau, Hyman, Johnsson and possibly Grunstrom might throw a cold glass of reality into Josh Leivo's face.

At this point is Leivo a throw-in to a trade?

Could Mason Marchment challenge Leivo for the 13th forward position?

Lenovo is done. We have much better options. Kapenen, Johnsson and assuming Leo isn't back Grundstrom. The only way I see him staying is say Nylander is involved in a trade for Doughty or Hanifin..

A lot hinges on if JT goes back to the Isles if not I think we have him locked up.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I agree.
The Leafs have lots of cap room for this season so I expect it could be used to "over-pay" a UFA to take a one year deal.
Joe Thornton, Thomas Vanek or Michael Grabner could be possible targets.
I think Leivo will be traded just before the season starts, when teams have had a chance to see what they have in training camp and realize they still need some scoring depth.
i'm expecting the leafs to heavily pursue vanek and michael grabner

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
i'm expecting the leafs to heavily pursue vanek and michael grabner

I would have to agree that a line with Kapanen and Grabner on it would be fun to watch and an absolute nightmare for typical opposition 3rd lines to defend against. As long as they had a reasonably speedy center who can make passes between them, you'd be looking a a hell of a lot of scoring chances coming out of defensive zone starts. Leivo is certainly *not* the guy you want playing on that kind of line. Given his assets, he's better of on lines that start in the neutral zone or offensive zone or the Power play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad