Speculation: I need elite speculation on Josh Leivo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Elite speculation is that he will be dealt for a Dman.

Josh Leivo to Philly for Phillipe Myers
I'd be over the moon if that happened, be great for the Leafs, great for Leivo, not sure if it's a fair trade for the Flyers though. Regardless, for whatever the reason, Leivo isn't going to get a fair shake here as long as Babcock's the coach.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I like this post, but you need to clarify. You think he's not a NHL regular because of mistreatment (shattered confidence)?

I just thought he is just one of the many NHLers to never take the next step.

According to Babs Leivo could not draw in the line up because he could not PK; and was not good enough to replace the wingers in Nylander, Marner, JVR.

Question then becomes is Leivo better than Leo Komarov? What about Matt Martin?

Leivo could not draw in over Matt Martin; there is no case where one could argue that Martin > Leivo when it comes to skills.

Martin never PKed or played on PP either.

So either Leivo is really bad or Leivo not drawing in line up was a misjudgment by coaching staff.

Lievo put up decent production in limited time he saw in 2016-2017 season; and even if played well he got scratched the next game. If that doesnt screw up your confidence (no matter what I do I get scratched) I don't know what will.

If Leivo is that bad then he should have been waived/traded; Leafs decided to hold on to him that means they see value in him; they decided to protect Leivo over Martin; but when it came to icing players Leafs decided to ice Martin over Leivo.

It seems there is a disconnect between what management thinks of Leivo and what Babcock thinks of Leivo. In either case, either Babcock ices Leivo and builds up his confidence; OR it is better that Leivo be traded/waived.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I would have to agree that a line with Kapanen and Grabner on it would be fun to watch and an absolute nightmare for typical opposition 3rd lines to defend against. As long as they had a reasonably speedy center who can make passes between them, you'd be looking a a hell of a lot of scoring chances coming out of defensive zone starts. Leivo is certainly *not* the guy you want playing on that kind of line. Given his assets, he's better of on lines that start in the neutral zone or offensive zone or the Power play.
imo, there are better options within the organization than wasting $$$$ on Grabner/Vanek. Let another team make that mistake.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
According to Babs Leivo could not draw in the line up because he could not PK; and was not good enough to replace the wingers in Nylander, Marner, JVR.

Question then becomes is Leivo better than Leo Komarov? What about Matt Martin?

Leivo could not draw in over Matt Martin; there is no case where one could argue that Martin > Leivo when it comes to skills.

Martin never PKed or played on PP either.

So either Leivo is really bad or Leivo not drawing in line up was a misjudgment by coaching staff.

Lievo put up decent production in limited time he saw in 2016-2017 season; and even if played well he got scratched the next game. If that doesnt screw up your confidence (no matter what I do I get scratched) I don't know what will.

If Leivo is that bad then he should have been waived/traded; Leafs decided to hold on to him that means they see value in him; they decided to protect Leivo over Martin; but when it came to icing players Leafs decided to ice Martin over Leivo.

It seems there is a disconnect between what management thinks of Leivo and what Babcock thinks of Leivo. In either case, either Babcock ices Leivo and builds up his confidence; OR it is better that Leivo be traded/waived.
there's no reason to dress Martin ahead of Leivo imo, I'm not saying Leivo should definately be in the line up, but he should slot in higher than Martin.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
imo, there are better options within the organization than wasting $$$$ on Grabner/Vanek. Let another team make that mistake.

Are you saying that you wouldn't want the Leafs to have a third line like the Grabner-Hayes-Miller turned out for the Rangers should Grabner be available for $ instead of $$$$ which is likely? How much do you really think Grabner would cost? Once we've promoted players to replace those departing, it will reduce team depth quite a bit. Are you against *any* veteran depth at all, even if it will be highly complimentary to our team's developing style? I argue against broken down and expensive players, but someone like Grabner is unlikely to be either, at least for the 2-3 years at best he'd be around.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
there's no reason to dress Martin ahead of Leivo imo, I'm not saying Leivo should definately be in the line up, but he should slot in higher than Martin.

true but that is not what happened. One can argue that against the caps if Leivo was in the line up instead of Martin; may be we win one of the OTs and be in Game 7 situation

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Are you saying that you wouldn't want the Leafs to have a third line like the Grabner-Hayes-Miller turned out for the Rangers should Grabner be available for $ instead of $$$$ which is likely? How much do you really think Grabner would cost? Once we've promoted players to replace those departing, it will reduce team depth quite a bit. Are you against *any* veteran depth at all, even if it will be highly complimentary to our team's developing style? I argue against broken down and expensive players, but someone like Grabner is unlikely to be either, at least for the 2-3 years at best he'd be around.
Grabner had a good year last year, funny it was his contract year, hmmmm, I think he'll be looking for more money and term than you think, and will probably get it. Hopefully not from the Leafs. As for Vanek? Why...........

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Traded to NJ for pucks because Babcock won't put him on the ice. Becomes 35-45 pts player.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Grabner had a good year last year, funny it was his contract year, hmmmm, I think he'll be looking for more money and term than you think, and will probably get it. Hopefully not from the Leafs. As for Vanek? Why...........

Grabners first years in NY was the same a 25+ goal year playing with, by a staggering coincidence, the same complimentary players.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
not confirmed. the guy has 9 nhl games to his credit. leivo is more experienced. chances are johnson will start on the 4th line with martin sitting on the bench

Babcock chose to play Johnsson over Leivo down the stretch and in the playoffs. Leivo doesn't do anything really well. Johnsson is better in almost every aspect of the game.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hyman - matthews - marner
marleau - kadri - brown
johnsson - nylander - kapanen
leivo - par/aaltonen/goat - martin or grundstrom

hes actually on the team at this very moment, like if we dont sign no1 and the season starts tmr...unless martin and grundstrom beat him out at camp which is just too sad imo, but hey he couldnt play over leo and martin last year so who knows

im thinking we get at least one forward before season starts right? so i see leivo fighting for the 12th and 13th spot, but if he doesnt make team im sure he asks for trade or we trade his ass...its his 8th camp with the leafs, i mean if you aint making team after that many camps with them its time to move on, hes 25, 25 is your prime years starting, and he hasnt even played his first season, he has to has to make the team, it has to be his last year here right if hes cut...grunny aint far, timashov, moore, bracco, engval, korshkov are growing, we aint short of wing help, i really hope this is leivo's year, cause hes running out of years

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’m wondering how Leivo will be treated now that Lou is out and Dubas is in.

We all know that Babs had/has absolutely NO use for Leivo and the guy should have been exposed to the expansion draft for his own good but nope.
Then last year his constant seat in the press box finally lead to a trade request, with Lou basically saying “nah guy”.

Will Dubas look at the situation differently and trade Leivo to let him move on and maybe have himself a career? I certainly hope so. I wouldn’t even mind if he was traded to the Sens or the Habs since; A) Both those teams suck arent a threat anyways, and B) We’ll get to see him play regularly and watch if he sucks or if he actually makes it.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
411 on Leivo..slow, slow..good shot and slow

411 on leafs, fast, really fast, can outscore any team and very fast

Leivo is finished. That contract last yr was to give him security when they trade him. Puzzled why we have hung onto him with our plethora of talented wingers.

Definitely add Marchment to wow at camp he and grundstrom are my 2 bubble wingers to crack the lineup

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

Leivo is finished. That contract last yr was to give him security when they trade him. Puzzled why we have hung onto him with our plethora of talented wingers.

Definitely add Marchment to wow at camp he and grundstrom are my 2 bubble wingers to crack the lineup
I loved Marchments game in the playoffs with the marlies, he was a work horse, and looked fast, 4th line bubble for sure.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I loved Marchments game in the playoffs with the marlies, he was a work horse, and looked fast, 4th line bubble for sure.

Marchment will need another full year with the Marlies.

Leivo should be getting full time work in the NHL. I don't think he'll ever get a fair shake with Babcock.

Trade him to the Rangers or Avs and wish him the best.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I’m wondering how Leivo will be treated now that Lou is out and Dubas is in.

We all know that Babs had/has absolutely NO use for Leivo and the guy should have been exposed to the expansion draft for his own good but nope.
Then last year his constant seat in the press box finally lead to a trade request, with Lou basically saying “nah guy”.

Will Dubas look at the situation differently and trade Leivo to let him move on and maybe have himself a career? I certainly hope so. I wouldn’t even mind if he was traded to the Sens or the Habs since; A) Both those teams suck arent a threat anyways, and B) We’ll get to see him play regularly and watch if he sucks or if he actually makes it.
given Dubas' analytic background, Leivo is probably a guy that he would want to have a look in his own team's lineup I think, moneyball potential for sure

on the Babcock front, he just saw the all-speed lineup get manhandled in the playoffs when the refs put the whistles away, maybe he'll adapt

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
marleau - kadri - brown

hes actually on the team at this very moment, like if we dont sign no1 and the season starts tmr...unless martin and grundstrom beat him out at camp which is just too sad imo, but hey he couldnt play over leo and martin last year so who knows

im thinking we get at least one forward before season starts right? so i see leivo fighting for the 12th and 13th spot, but if he doesnt make team im sure he asks for trade or we trade his ass...its his 8th camp with the leafs, i mean if you aint making team after that many camps with them its time to move on, hes 25, 25 is your prime years starting, and he hasnt even played his first season, he has to has to make the team, it has to be his last year here right if hes cut...grunny aint far, timashov, moore, bracco, engval, korshkov are growing, we aint short of wing help, i really hope this is leivo's year, cause hes running out of years

Alto is the KHL we traded Martin haha where have you been

Also missing Tavares the biggest UFA in out teams history isnt in the lineup

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I've seen slower with good success in the NHL.

Reactions: rumman and Lauro

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
marleau - kadri - brown

I have no clue how you missed Tavares and didnt know Martin was traded

No wonder you didnt know alto went to KHL

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

I've seen slower with good success in the NHL.

I dont care about that clip man. I've see him play..he cant defend because he gets beat to the puck and loses battles. In case you didn't know we dont need scoring we are so deep it's insane.

Someone wake up Battle Lin (poster) look at his lines...didnt know we got tavares nor traded martin..nor miro being in KHL oh brother

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I dont care about that clip man. I've see him play..he cant defend because he gets beat to the puck and loses battles. In case you didn't know we dont need scoring we are so deep it's insane.

Someone wake up Battle Lin (poster) look at his lines...didnt know we got tavares nor traded martin..nor miro being in KHL oh brother
the measurables would say he's about a top 15 puck battle guy in the NHL. What you're saying here is a really, really off-base take on him.

He changes directions slowly for sure, so he's not great at covering a lot of ground when the puck is being passed around in the defensive zone...very much like JVR, but with effort

Leivo's upside if he was used right is a guy who helps keep the puck in the offensive zone for your talent guys - excellent at puck battles and cycling, more than competent as a set up guy and finisher

Reactions: rumman and Lauro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad