Post-Game Talk: I love everything about this team right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We're still talking about Gustavsson vs Howard?

And I saw Gustavsson being compared to Hasek?

:laugh:

Come on. I get people having the back-up syndrome with Red Wing goalies and Lion quarterbacks but this is getting a little ridiculous. Jimmy Howard, Gustav Nyquist and Mike Babcock are the three reasons why Detroit has a playoff spot right now.

The only reason why Gustavsson should be offered a contract next year is if they want Mrazek to play another season in Grand Rapids.

Good season and good luck trying to find a starting gig somewhere. Just don't be surprised if he's a back-up somewhere. He's just not really starter material.

Maybe i missed the Elite comment.

But i was comparing STYLES of goalies. Not skill levels.

Howard is Technically sound, Monster is a reflexive flip-flopper. Use your own comparisons if you like :P

My main point was we shouldn't mention goalies for like 2 years, because we are pretty set for a MINIMUM of that long.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
We're still talking about Gustavsson vs Howard?

And I saw Gustavsson being compared to Hasek?

:laugh:

Come on. I get people having the back-up syndrome with Red Wing goalies and Lion quarterbacks but this is getting a little ridiculous. Jimmy Howard, Gustav Nyquist and Mike Babcock are the three reasons why Detroit has a playoff spot right now.

The only reason why Gustavsson should be offered a contract next year is if they want Mrazek to play another season in Grand Rapids.

Good season and good luck trying to find a starting gig somewhere. Just don't be surprised if he's a back-up somewhere. He's just not really starter material.

I think Mrazek and Gustavsson works fine as back-ups. Perhaps Gustavssons injury history is a bit worrying. But personally I'm would still be fine with both DRW keeping Gustavsson, as well as not keeping him.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't care if he's won 40 games this year. I'm not talking about how good or bad he's been this year. I am talking exclusively about last night. He was sloppy and lucky. And with only 7 games left and the Wings fighting for a playoff spot, I'd rather start the guy who's been good lately than the guy who's been lucky. That was my only point.

You realise that Howard is 1-3 in his last 4 and 5-7 in his last 12? Those 5 wins were 2 vs Leafs and one was OT win vs Oilers. That is far from good.
The Leafs are not the worst team in the league right now, and they had a ton of great chances in that game. That was the biggest game of the year and Howard was huge. Put Gustavsson's performance last night into that Toronto game, and the Leafs get 5 or 6 goals. Howard's last game dwarfs Gustavsson's in performance.

The Leafs Are not the worst team in the league? Who is? Does it matter if they Are the worst, bottom 3, bottom 5 or bottom 10?

We Are in a dog fight to make the playoffs. We have to win games.

As for Gustavsson being sloppy. That is his style. He makes saves look harder than they are, but he wins. And what do you expect him to do after almost a month of not playing? Every player/goalie is rusty after a long break.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You realise that Howard is 1-3 in his last 4 and 5-7 in his last 12? Those 5 wins were 2 vs Leafs and one was OT win vs Oilers. That is far from good.

Eh, don't care. With goalies, it's 'what have you done for me lately.' And Howard was excellent in his last start. Gustavsson, meanwhile, hasn't had a game that I thought was good since Feb 27.

The Leafs Are not the worst team in the league? Who is? Does it matter if they Are the worst, bottom 3, bottom 5 or bottom 10?

As I said, at a minimum, Buffalo is worse. Along with several other teams, imo. But that's all beside the point anyway. All that matters is that Toronto had a lot of good chances in that game. Doesn't matter if they were the worst or best team in the league. Howard had to make difficult stops.

As for Gustavsson being sloppy. That is his style. He makes saves look harder than they are, but he wins. And what do you expect him to do after almost a month of not playing? Every player/goalie is rusty after a long break.

I'm aware that is his style. I said earlier that I think he was sloppy, even by his standard. That is the root of my concern. It's not that Gustavsson looked like Gustavsson. I like Gustavsson in general. As for what I expected after not playing for a while? I didn't expect much. But my expectations don't matter. All that matters is how his performance projects, going forward. And I'm worried it doesn't project very well. I'd love for him to get some extra games to get his play to a higher level, but unfortunately for him, the Wings are in a position where they can't afford that.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Not really sure where else to bring it up, but how would you guys feel about potentially trading gustavsson for reimer?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Not really sure where else to bring it up, but how would you guys feel about potentially trading gustavsson for reimer?

Gustavsson and Reimer are both UFAs at year's end. There's no point unless we're talking a rights swap.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Well yeah, essentially. Reimer desperately wants to leave the leafs, they treat him like ****. I'd like to see how he does here.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Both UFA's
Both likely Backup's.

We could sign either.

I think I'd Take Gus over Reimer, because has has done well for us.

Loyalty and all.

Reimer's upside does not impress me enough to sign him.

If we are talking about Money though… I'll just sign whoever is cheaper if Gus wants much more than 1.5-1.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad