Confirmed with Link: I like you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Truly weird stuff I learned the other day: some Chinese travel agents are marketing F as a place where rain isn't actually toxic. So you can go out on a rainy day and go all Danny Kaye without wearing protection. This is actually a consideration for some poor souls in the more industrial cities. I was blown away by this revelation the other day. (F happens to be geolocated in a favorable spot for Eur-Asian flights. Now they seem to be increasingly staying for a weekend, not just passing through. Don't tell 'em it's silly, we need the money.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I am a tool, not a recommender of ones, but I got enough mileage from a second-hand green Bosch one.

If I was now in market for a power drill, I'd look into those Ryobi-like setups where you get many machines that all use the same battery, because it's the battery that fails on you when the drill would stilll drill just fine if it only had the power.

Then I would probably buy a cheapass 15 euro TechGarden variety.
T&P

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
given that English is undeniably the biggest **** of a language on planet earth, borrowing grammar, syntax, and whole chunks of the lexicon from any language set it can get its grubby hands on, I'm not sure you're making the point you think you are here
I'm breaking my max 1000 posts rule to add more insult to injury. Look at the Great Vowel Shift and what the idiot Caxton didn't do after that. (When he learned printing, he deliberately chose an archaic true and tested spelling for the lingo. Every generation of English learners has suffered as a result. The murican Webster did his best to apply fixes here and there, but it's still a turrible enchilada, and now the modern parlances fashionable over the pond are making the situation worse. It really takes effort to understand what someone writing an article is trying to express. (Not just the tech/mil alphabet soup, but including that.) However, it's heartwarming that this problem/effort is universal and ongoing. But sometimes you just wish somebody could have just killed Caxton, a crime maybe but no big deal, really.)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You know, after the Sami broke off from the common Finno-Samic mothertongue, they too did a great vowel shift extremely similar to the one in English. The pre-shift Anglospeak had the vowel sounds matching the Finn ones.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The point was probably pretty close to that time when the Prime Minister of Finland was suspected of having gotten bribery side-unsawed wooden boards and the World of Technics Magazine went to examine his house to see if they can find the boards there.
I used to subscribe Tekniikan Maailma. Did you read Elektroniikan Maailma? They had some really weird electrons there in EM.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I used to subscribe Tekniikan Maailma. Did you read Elektroniikan Maailma? They had some really weird electrons there in EM.

Generally speaking EM would be much more at my alley of those two, but it was too specialized to be available at hospital or car repairment waiting rooms unlike TM so I wouldn't catch it too often.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
You know, after the Sami broke off from the common Finno-Samic mothertongue, they too did a great vowel shift extremely similar to the one in English. The pre-shift Anglospeak had the vowel sounds matching the Finn ones.
Some languages have only three vowels. What are they?

(Always the same. The answer why answers the first question too well so I digress.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Some languages have only three vowels. What are they?

(Always the same. The answer why answers the first question too well so I digress.)
Aww hell I have the attention span of a gnat. The vowels are a, i, u.

If your lingo differentiated more vowels, then there's a [e] up front and a [o] at the back. Wonk the rearmost vowels and you get umlauts like [ä], [ö], [y] on the backstage. This makes sense if you look at your profile picture while making these sounds, it's all about where your tongue is in your mouth, generally speaking. (It's usually there.) You can draw a profile picture of your head and place the vowels there. Mind, the sounds are natural, but the letterings are artificial and random.

I'm sure this helped!

[House staff apologizes for the earlier mess with square bracketed phonemic descriptions conflicting with spouses of members of staff, not a site problem]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad