Post-Game Talk: I just looked up clutch in the dictionary and Darren's helm ugly mug showed up

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
BTW I lioved seeing Tats ragdoll Kessel. Tatar usually fights a decent amount ~3 times a season. He wouldve tuned Kessel woulda loved to see it

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Great team you guys have there in Detroit. Winning without Dats and Zetterberg isn't easy but they are doing it in style.

One thing though, I don't think Darren Helm is clutch...our team just sucks. Weiss would have gotten a hattrick tonight had he played.

Nobody considers him clutch...but he is starting to learn how to utilize his speed more. He plays the passing lanes well and deflects or chips those pucks out past the D and into the neutral zone...D-man gets caught flat footed and Helm has the easy breakway.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
vByzlco.jpg

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Still can't get over how much sheahan's offensive skills have improved from when he played his first career games. Dude seriously has some of the slickest hands in the league when he's around the net

Wings27

Mar 2, 2014
Michigan
Still can't get over how much sheahan's offensive skills have improved from when he played his first career games. Dude seriously has some of the slickest hands in the league when he's around the net

Agreed. He's learning to use his size in front to shield the puck and make power moves to the goal. And unlike bertuzzi, he has the skill to vacate the front and contribute more than just a screen on the power play.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think there are too many goals going in from the blue line vs the Wings. Way too many compared to other teams.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
1. Howie: probably our best player not named Nyquist. :D
2. Helm: the detractors were 0-fer on faceoffs and that second Toronto goal
3. Kindl: he's finally producing points; good for him

Big win, withstood Toronto's initial push and then took over the game. Hopefully this is a sign Helm is getting back to the level he was at pre-injury. The Leafs are obviously horrible so I want to see a bigger sample size.

Keep fighting boys! :yo:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Nobody considers him clutch...but he is starting to learn how to utilize his speed more. He plays the passing lanes well and deflects or chips those pucks out past the D and into the neutral zone...D-man gets caught flat footed and Helm has the easy breakway.

Yeah I am still in wait and see mode with Helm given it was the Leafs. However it was nice to see him alter his approach on the second breakaway where he waited out Bernier and then went around him for the easy goal.

That's a good sign. :nod:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
for all the (deserved) beating andersson gets, i have to give him credit today. he worked hard before the first two helm goals. on first goal he gets the puck to helm and on the 2nd one he wins the key battle by using his body. i want to see more of this andersson, winning key battles and using his body.

Yeah I was thinking long and hard about making Joker my third star. He was winning puck battles and played a role in the offense that wasn't obvious. Like I've said regarding Helm it was just the Leafs - no offense Toronto fans - so it's a small sample size.

Hopefully he's learning from Babs and Sheahan and Jurco that it's not against the rules to use your size and strength to win puck battles. :naughty:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This was posted by a Leafs fan in another forum I post in. He posted this as a response to a comment I made lamenting the failures of our beloved Red Wings a few days back. I feel bad for the Toronto fans but I am so happy Detroit pulled this one out.

BjdTzaECUAAkiFv.jpg:medium

It was pretty obvious during 24/7 that Babcock is about a million times better as a coach than Carlyle. Carlyle is the old school cuss your players out and challenge your players' manhood type of coach which has to get old real fast.

Seeing Carlyle get pwned by a toaster was pretty awesome. :D

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
i think the point he was making is he's not really offensively gifted for the PP (only 3 pp points this season), and a lot of people here have been hoping someone like Smith, who most would agree is more suited to QBing a PP, get a chance in that spot, he seemed to get a chance near the end on a PP and didn't do a bad job managing puck distribution.

Yeah, DeKeyser hasn't shown any real ability on the power play to this point. Not being critical and saying he should never play there again, just pointing out it hasn't started to work at this point.

Smith is finally getting power play time. He's actually tied with Kronwall for EVS points per 60 mins so that pairing should be able to contribute points more than the Kronner-E pairing has.

DeKeyser and Kindl produce just about the same amount of offense 5v4 so that doesn't bode particularly well for Kindl. He has been much better the past few games though, so that's a clear improvement over where he'd been for the past 4 months where he had 4 points total.

So it's a good sign Smith is finally getting power play time IMO. The EVS data shows he knows what to do with the puck in the offensive zone.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

He's known how to use his speed for a long time. He's not just starting to utilize it. The difference between last night (and that early season stretch of success he had) was that he was finally finishing on more of his chances, as were his linemates (he played with top 6 players like Alfie and Franzen for the first time).

Helm's always been a good Corsi player and a buzz saw in the offensive zone. And has there been a player in Detroit post lockout that has gotten more breakaways? No, there hasn't.

After coming back from the 2nd injury this season he struggled a lot, but it shouldn't have been too surprising considering all of the time he's missed the past 2 years. You could tell that he wasn't playing quite as hard or going to the dirty areas as much. He probably has mental hurdle to jump in regard to getting injured more.

Hopefully last night is the start of him getting his confidence back.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
He's known how to use his speed for a long time. He's not just starting to utilize it. The difference between last night (and that early season stretch of success he had) was that he was finally finishing on more of his chances, as were his linemates (he played with top 6 players like Alfie and Franzen for the first time).

Helm's always been a good Corsi player and a buzz saw in the offensive zone. And has there been a player in Detroit post lockout that has gotten more breakaways? No, there hasn't.

After coming back from the 2nd injury this season he struggled a lot, but it shouldn't have been too surprising considering all of the time he's missed the past 2 years. You could tell that he wasn't playing quite as hard or going to the dirty areas as much. He probably has mental hurdle to jump in regard to getting injured more.

Hopefully last night is the start of him getting his confidence back.

Agreed. He looked tentative even defensively after getting hurt again. Hopefully last night is the turning point. As for his offensive game, I always thought that he was a little too fast for his own good offensively. He is so fast that he gets on the goalie super quick and his hands/ mind can't catch up. Very few players of Helm's speed are elite finishers, because very few have the hands that can work at that speed. That why for every Bure there are 10 Raymonds, Dandys, Helms etc. He's starting to adjust his game a bit and realize that 90% of dmen aren't going to catch him if he slows himself down just a touch to give himself a chance to actually handle the puck.

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
Holy ****.... i picked up Helm off the waiver wire before the game last night... buddy got me 14 points and pretty much single handedly won me my H2H matchup. What a stud! Think he will continue to produce? didnt watch the game....

Last edited by a moderator:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Holy ****.... i picked up Helm off the waiver wire before the game last night... buddy got me 14 points and pretty much single handedly won me my H2H matchup. What a stud! Think he will continue to produce? didnt watch the game....

He's probably worth keeping. He's not going to be potting hat tricks but he could become a solid point producer. He's starting to finally look healthy and is getting quality scoring chances.

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
He's probably worth keeping. He's not going to be potting hat tricks but he could become a solid point producer. He's starting to finally look healthy and is getting quality scoring chances.

Yah, might have to hold on to him for a while. Although it's not often a guy scores 3 goals in a game and then has to play on the third line....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yah, might have to hold on to him for a while. Although it's not often a guy scores 3 goals in a game and then has to play on the third line....

He's been a 3rd line center most of his career. 1 hat trick isn't going go change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad