Post-Game Talk: I hate the Leafs

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Seems like when it's a win the other guys do the post game pressers. When it's a loss Larkin is the guy who talks.

Reactions: SoupNazi

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Well, they just didn't have the finish. Seider with a goal and an assist. Hard to be angry, I'm def annoyed because you always want to beat the Leafs.

Ned gets sometime and hopefully gets confidence, Husso looked human. But hopefully he just shakes it off.

On to Buffalo wednesday who I really want to beat after they embarrassed us.
It seems like Larkin and Kubalik have been coldish for a while, while Bertuzzi, Copp and Raymond have never really got it going. Our defenders have provided the goals last 5 games.
We need our top guns to wake up.
Tonight we scored 2 goals, one by defender and another one again created by the same defender.

Husso wasn't sharp tonight. Nedeljkovic stopped everything.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seider just can't catch a break. Really not bad D on any of the goals and he is on for all 4 against. Just for the fact they are on for a lot against, I think it is time to separate Seider and Chiarot. Slide Chiarot down with Hronek and Maatta with Seider. I don't think he looks anywhere near as good as last year, however I also don't think he is -10 bad for 21 games played! Maybe -3.

We have lost 8 straight to the Leafs there is no silver lining to this.

To be fair, they should be beating us in most of the games we play them. This is no different in reverse to when we were good and they were bad, the better teams should be winning. They are a team going for a Cup, we are just trying to be better.

Reactions: K1900L and SoupGuru

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seider just can't catch a break. Really not bad D on any of the goals and he is on for all 4 against. Just for the fact they are on for a lot against, I think it is time to separate Seider and Chiarot. Slide Chiarot down with Hronek and Maatta with Seider. I don't think he looks anywhere near as good as last year, however I also don't think he is -10 bad for 21 games played! Maybe -3.
Wouldn't Seider be the one that's sliding down? Hronek is playing like a top pair D, Maatta is definitely not top pair.

I think it would help to give Seider some easier matchups and less ice time until he starts playing better,

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

To be fair, they should be beating us in most of the games we play them. This is no different in reverse to when we were good and they were bad, the better teams should be winning. They are a team going for a Cup, we are just trying to be better.

Goal 2 - Seider got caught way out of position.
I thought from the start it should be Maatta-Seider and Chiarot-Hronek.

Why?
Maatta's a bit slow. Maatta+Hronek seemed like potential bad mojo, because Hronek's feet aren't fleet either.
Chiarot is a good skater for his size. His style of play (big/physical) I thought would allow Hronek to do what he needs to do (puck move, shoot).

But Maatta's IQ makes me question all that.

I think it's more important to straighten out our top 6 forward, to be honest.
Get the old Larkin line back together and try Perron-Copp-Kubalik again for awhile.

If that line still can't get it together, maybe you bring try Berggren or something at one of those winger jobs.

And if that still fails, maybe it's time to try Veleno in that C slot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Again, same is repeating.

Every goal was scored against Chiarot-Seider on the ice.

They are starting to be the worst pair at NHL, in goals scored against.

1669698328245.png

These are 5-on-5 stats from this season.

I thought earlier Hägg-Lindström is the worst we can see, but Chiarot-Seider took the "lead" on recent games.

It's weird how the things will happen, many times it does not look like it's either Seider's or Chia's fault. But some bad play usually is there. They try to clear the zone, and can't complete it, then both will run from behind the goal in front of the net to "save the day" and will screen our own goalie or something. And the easy shot goes in. It looks like a goalies fault, but the defenders are also messing on the way.

Or like that PP goal, both guys tried to play against the Leafs screener, which did left Nylander totally open for rebound. that was Chiarot's bad play imo. He should have left Seider to take care of the screeners stick, and be ready for the rebound. But both guys were concentrating on the same guy. This happens all the time, they cover the same guy, and do the same play, and opposite guys are left open.

The pair should be just split, they can't get it working together. Think it could work later at the season, if they can get some time with different partners. Now it's just repeating the same mistake.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wouldn't Seider be the one that's sliding down? Hronek is playing like a top pair D, Maatta is definitely not top pair.

I think it would help to give Seider some easier matchups and less ice time until he starts playing better,

I meant more pairs, rather than order.

Reactions: Henkka

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
It seems like Larkin and Kubalik have been coldish for a while, while Bertuzzi, Copp and Raymond have never really got it going. Our defenders have provided the goals last 5 games.
We need our top guns to wake up.
Tonight we scored 2 goals, one by defender and another one again created by the same defender.

Husso wasn't sharp tonight. Nedeljkovic stopped everything.
Husso gave up a couple of softies one by Marner and other the Sandin goal.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
It would be nice if we had a real 2C. That would make a huge difference. From last season on I said Copp was not a real top-6 guy and we would regret it if he was our pickup. He's a fantastic 3C and a bad 2C.

If we are in a playoff spot I'd like to take a flyer on a veteran 2C and see what it looks like. If the Blues are out of a playoff spot I'd love to pry O'Reilly out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I meant more pairs, rather than order.
OK, but it's more than just semantics because of matchups. I think it's time to give Hronek a shot at the top pair.

It would be nice if we had a real 2C. That would make a huge difference. From last season on I said Copp was not a real top-6 guy and we would regret it if he was our pickup. He's a fantastic 3C and a bad 2C.
I was really hoping for more out of Copp, but in the end he's a middle 6 forward that's reflecting his WPG stats, probably overpaid by $1 - $1.5M. He doesn't have the puck skills to be a 2C, virtually every play seems to die on his stick in one way or another.

But hey, Raymond and Bert's next contracts will be a lot cheaper now, lol.

mac nylander

May 23, 2021
New York, NY
Hey, we may have lost this game, but in the morning, after the afterglow is gone, they'll still be the Leafs. I'd rather lose a single game in the regular season than have to be a Toronto Maple Leaf.
hey some of us are born being a maple leaf, I've accepted getting my heartbroken every year lol

either way good game, Murray stole it from you guys. also i really dig the jerseys

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
OK, but it's more than just semantics because of matchups. I think it's time to give Hronek a shot at the top pair.

I was really hoping for more out of Copp, but in the end he's a middle 6 forward that's reflecting his WPG stats, probably overpaid by $1 - $1.5M. He doesn't have the puck skills to be a 2C, virtually every play seems to die on his stick in one way or another.

But hey, Raymond and Bert's next contracts will be a lot cheaper now, lol.

hey some of us are born being a maple leaf, I've accepted getting my heartbroken every year lol

either way good game, Murray stole it from you guys. also i really dig the jerseys
It's more like our goalie lost it than your goalie stole it.

As I suspected we don't get much production from our top 6.
Larkin 3 goals in last 11 games. He has had the chances to get 5.
Kubalik 1 point in last 3 games, no goals despite many good chances.
Perron 1 goal in last 13.
Raymond, Bertuzzi and Copp maybe 3 goals combined in last 10. Didn't bother to check it out.

I don't know if the coach intends to do anything with the top 4. Seider Chiarot is -19, Hronek Maatta +17

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Again, same is repeating.

Every goal was scored against Chiarot-Seider on the ice.

They are starting to be the worst pair at NHL, in goals scored against.

View attachment 614324

These are 5-on-5 stats from this season.

I thought earlier Hägg-Lindström is the worst we can see, but Chiarot-Seider took the "lead" on recent games.

It's weird how the things will happen, many times it does not look like it's either Seider's or Chia's fault. But some bad play usually is there. They try to clear the zone, and can't complete it, then both will run from behind the goal in front of the net to "save the day" and will screen our own goalie or something. And the easy shot goes in. It looks like a goalies fault, but the defenders are also messing on the way.

Or like that PP goal, both guys tried to play against the Leafs screener, which did left Nylander totally open for rebound. that was Chiarot's bad play imo. He should have left Seider to take care of the screeners stick, and be ready for the rebound. But both guys were concentrating on the same guy. This happens all the time, they cover the same guy, and do the same play, and opposite guys are left open.

The pair should be just split, they can't get it working together. Think it could work later at the season, if they can get some time with different partners. Now it's just repeating the same mistake.

I'm beginning to understand why the Chairot signing was heavily criticized. He has not been good for Seider. I dont know how much blame to attribute to Chairot though... even in a vaccum, Seider looks so much worse than last season.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I'm already so tired of Copp. Just no idea what anyone was thinking signing him longterm. He cannot do anything from our own blueline out. Almost all of the points he has picked up are just nature of being on the ice with guys who are going to score points.

I really love the moves Rasmussens has been making towards the net lately. I'm not sure at this point that Ras would fill our 2C desires, but I'm sure he will look better than Copp. Plus he is showing some flashes of more upside left in the tank. It's time to switch these guys up and give Ras a look.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad