i am prepared to change sides ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
look, if the owners want to cancel the season because they WANT a cap, then say that. but stop saying they NEED a cap, the fact is they WANT a cap.

i tell you what, i will change my stance to PRO NHL if Bettman were to say the following:

"the NHL owners WANT a hard salary cap because it is how we want to run this league and no matter how many good and valid and well thought out discussion the NHLPA proposes, the PA's and their members thoughts on the issue are of little importance to us.

there has and never will be a better time in the history of our sport to excersize our power on this issue. the market in the USA is almost non existent so we have as little to lose now as we ever will. the fans in canada dont care if we put monkeys on the ice in skirts, they will watch anything with an NHL jersey on it. they have said so in droves on radio shows, internet chat boards and public forums.

the fact is we know we dont NEED a cap, but we dont care, we matter of factly WANT a cap and nothing, even the players playing for 100 grand a decade will not change the fact that NHL hockey will not return until we have linkage. period, end of story, and until the players proposal contains the specific concept of linkage, NHL hockey will never return with the current members of the NHLPA."

if he just said that, then hey so be it. everything else he says is just PR and rhetoric to cover up the owners WANT a cap, but dont NEED it.

dr

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
DementedReality said:
"the NHL owners WANT a hard salary cap because it is how we want to run this league and no matter how many good and valid and well thought out discussion the NHLPA proposes, the PA's and their members thoughts on the issue are of little importance to us.

:lol

Thanks for the laugh, DR

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
GoM said:
:lol

Thanks for the laugh, DR

you are welcome ? :dunno:

are you suggesting the PA is incapable of articulating some well thought out idea's ?

the same people who according to many are so smart they have exploited, extorted and maniplulated some of the shrewdest, wealthiest and succesfull businessmen in North America ?

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
GoM said:
I'm suggesting that the NHL is just as capable of articulating some well thought out ideas as the PA is, as much as a shock as it may seem.

thanks ... thats not what this thread is about really. and by the quote you highlited, it doesnt really make your point.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
It does make my point, because your entire post gave off the impression that the owners are a group of immature snobs who will do things their way or the high way (much like the players), while giving off the impression that everything the players have done was in the best interests of the league and that they are a group of mature individuals (much like both sides aren't).

The section I quoted merely highlighted the point.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
GoM said:
It does make my point, because your entire post gave off the impression that the owners are a group of immature snobs who will do things their way or the high way (much like the players), while giving off the impression that everything the players have done was in the best interests of the league and that they are a group of mature individuals (much like both sides aren't).

The section I quoted merely highlighted the point.

well, i humbly (as the author) suggest you misread it. can you accept that and not sidetrack the thread ?

dr

jacketracket*

DementedReality said:
the same people who according to many are so smart they have exploited, extorted and maniplulated some of the shrewdest, wealthiest and succesfull businessmen in North America ?

dr
I've never seen this argument made anywhere --- not here at HF, in the media, by the owners,...

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Last edited:

jacketracket*

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
jacketracket said:
You'll have to be a bit more specific, because I didn't see your implication in either of the posts you linked. Granted, I didn't read every post in the 6-pager.

well, its in both those threads. read it or not, believe it or not. its not really the point of my statement.

never mind i guess. i am prepared to support and defend the owners once i hear this claim or something similar.

dr

jacketracket*

DementedReality said:
well, its in both those threads. read it or not, believe it or not. its not really the point of my statement.

dr
Fine by me. I found the statement to be a bit over the top, anyway.

I haven't seen "many" people expressing the sentiment that the owners need protected from the NHLPA. What I have seen mentioned --- time and time again --- is that the owners themselves cannot be relied on, as a whole, to spend in a manner that ensures a healthy league.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
jacketracket said:
Fine by me. I found the statement to be a bit over the top, anyway.

I haven't seen "many" people expressing the sentiment that the owners need protected from the NHLPA. What I have seen mentioned --- time and time again --- is that the owners themselves cannot be relied on, as a whole, to spend in a manner that ensures a healthy league.

yes, that is a claim and its true. how foolish we should support the owners even more. they need protection from themselves ? what, are the children ?

dr

jacketracket*

DementedReality said:
yes, that is a claim and its true. how foolish we should support the owners even more. they need protection from themselves ? what, are the children ?

dr
How does what I posted translate into "we should support the owners even more"?

Brent Burns Beard