i am prepared to change sides ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
I'll never switch sides because the only side I'm on is my own. I could care less about the players or the owners. They don't care about me. For all I care the players can make $20K, or the owners can turn over all their hidden revenues to the players and operate like a player charity. From where I'm sitting, picking sides doesn't compute. I don't understand these passionate arguments on behalf of either side from people whose existance isn't acknowledged by either side. It isn't as if they're migrant farm workers and there's a crusade for humane conditions. I just want to see NHL hockey at an affordable price, and have a stable league.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
I think they'll be a downward (12-15%) adjustment of ticket prices mainly for PR purposes, and then they'll rise again with inflation. It isn't in the interest of the owners or players to charge much less for tickets than the market will bear. What I hope is that with a new CBA markets won't be forced to go up against that limit to meet costs.

As a season ticket holder I hope you're right, and I think that some cities will be reducing prices, but I doubt it in places that routinely sell-out their buildings.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
DementedReality said:
yes, that is a claim and its true. how foolish we should support the owners even more. they need protection from themselves ? what, are the children ?

dr

Dude, it's not so much that they need "protection" from their own stupidity... though admittedly they have acted in exactly at that manner at times, it's that richer markets will always have a financial advantage over smaller markets.

I don't think there's anyone who disagrees with the fact that there are small and large market franchises in the league.

It's this disparity that should be addressed somehow.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
quat said:
Dude, it's not so much that they need "protection" from their own stupidity... though admittedly they have acted in exactly at that manner at times, it's that richer markets will always have a financial advantage over smaller markets.

What can possibly compensate for a revenue spread of $76 million dollars? Suppose we are talking 10 teams $50-65 million, 10 teams $65-80 million, 9 teams 80-100 million and the Leafs at $120 million. If the teams aren't willing to share revenues in any meaningful way, you can't solve this problem with a salary cap that is remotely fair to the players. You have to set the cap to the bottom half of the revenue generators while the players generate enormous profits for the rich teams.

I think this was a great feature of the old CBA, so far kept intact in this one. As long as players can't move until they are 31, the financial advantage is minimised almost completely.

All rich teams seem to be able to do with their wallet is put off an overdue rebuilding for a while. That is a very small advantage - if it is an advantage at all - when the revenue deck is stacked like the NHL revenue deck is stacked.

Tom

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Tom_Benjamin said:
What can possibly compensate for a revenue spread of $76 million dollars? Suppose we are talking 10 teams $50-65 million, 10 teams $65-80 million, 9 teams 80-100 million and the Leafs at $120 million. If the teams aren't willing to share revenues in any meaningful way, you can't solve this problem with a salary cap that is remotely fair to the players. You have to set the cap to the bottom half of the revenue generators while the players generate enormous profits for the rich teams.

I think this was a great feature of the old CBA, so far kept intact in this one. As long as players can't move until they are 31, the financial advantage is minimised almost completely.

All rich teams seem to be able to do with their wallet is put off an overdue rebuilding for a while. That is a very small advantage - if it is an advantage at all - when the revenue deck is stacked like the NHL revenue deck is stacked.

Tom

And I said :

It's this disparity that should be addressed somehow

I didn't say anything about having only a "cap". There would seem to be several ways to approach solving the problem, and revenue sharing would have to be a big part of that solution, particularily if the Players were to accept some kind of cap system.

The Owners certainly must be held accountable for the overall health of the league, and not just their own home playgrounds.

One big change with the the UFA age of 31... well, players are now so well conditioned that a healthy number of star players are capable of playing well beyond this age.

Brent Burns Beard