OT: I’m going to be a dad!!

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Congratulations !! Kids are the best, well second best, grandkids are the best. Lots of responsibility, but lots of reward.

Reactions: Habsfan18

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
On the plus side, over the next 13 years in preparation of getting their own HF account, you can train your kid on the traits and nuances of various posters.

Also, by the time your kid goes to university, he/she will be the only one who has deep knowledge of the PK/Weber trade and details because it will still be a big topic here on HF :sarcasm:

Reactions: Habsfan18 and 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On the plus side, over the next 13 years in preparation of getting their own HF account, you can train your kid on the traits and nuances of various posters.

Also, by the time your kid goes to university, he/she will be the only one who has deep knowledge of the PK/Weber trade and details because it will still be a big topic here on HF :sarcasm:

There is going to be a documentary about that trade down the road! Bergevin is going to have live with that trade for the rest of his life. "Character". We had a bad season and he panicked IMO.

As far as the thread... Congratulations to you and your better half for bringing a kid into this world! Maybe you can talk to Price about how to manage fatigue issues at some point?

Reactions: Habsfan18

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
My wife and I are expecting this December! We’re going to be parents!

15 years on HF Boards, and maybe 15 years from now our son or daughter will be posting on here as well!

So pumped guys!
Geez, I guess you are doing good enough. My life going in opposite direction. Mine is nearing the end, what I do have left chances are I will spend it living like a hobo. I couldn't do nothing right if it meant a million dollars.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Congrats on the baby news, time will now speed up for you and your partner and everything before this will seem like nothing. Take tons of pictures and video and before you know it the kid will be learning to drive and you will wonder when it all happened. Cheers.

So much this. It'll change your life in the best of ways. It's one of life's most wonderful gifts. The time you spend with your child is priceless. You'll relive your own childhood in a lot of ways, which is an amazing thing while you're experiencing your child's firsts. Being there is the no. 1 thing a parent can do -- not toys, not gizmos, not expensive outings even though some of those will happen along the way. Just being there with your kid and giving her/him your full attention when you are with your child, that's the greatest gift to your child and ultimately to yourself. Enjoy every moment.

And thanks for sharing the great news with all of us.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So much this. It'll change your life in the best of ways. It's one of life's most wonderful gifts. The time you spend with your child is priceless. You'll relive your own childhood in a lot of ways, which is an amazing thing while you're experiencing your child's firsts. Being there is the no. 1 thing a parent can do -- not toys, not gizmos, not expensive outings even though some of those will happen along the way. Just being there with your kid and giving her/him your full attention when you are with your child, that's the greatest gift to your child and ultimately to yourself. Enjoy every moment.

And thanks for sharing the great news with all of us.
This post is a thing of beauty and rings so true to my own situation with my child, beautifully said as always runner.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This post is a thing of beauty and rings so true to my own situation with my child, beautifully said as always runner.

Thanks OC, I'm constantly humbled by your kindness and that of others on this site. You guys always remind me of what's important, so I've been rewarded ten-fold.

I speak from experience and think I'll make a far better grandpa than I was a father. The stuff I wrote is what I'd do right now if I had a child. I'd really put a lot more time into reading to them, from day 1. Read to them and with them, it's so enriching. And playing educational games where there are so many values to be taught and shared. It's the most beautiful thing in the world to see a child grow and be fulfilled. I took a lot of film when my kids were small and wrote a lot of their thoughts in their first six years. It's a real treasure to revisit.

Those of you who are parents of young children, you can make a huge difference. Have fun and don't hold back on those laughs. I miss having young kids as I realize how incredibly beautiful it is to have that quality time with them. OC, give your kid an extra hug tonight. ;-)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Geez, I guess you are doing good enough. My life going in opposite direction. Mine is nearing the end, what I do have left chances are I will spend it living like a hobo. I couldn't do nothing right if it meant a million dollars.

You sound like you're really down my friend. You might start feeling better by telling your doctor your thoughts. He'll definitely have some good advice for you. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Hey Spooky man -- how about changing that first word in your moniker? Your life doesn't need to be spooky, let's inject some positivity in it.

I've been where you are and if I have my demons like everyone else, I sense that you wouldn't have written that without you genuinely being in a bad place or feeling overwhelmingly that way.

I don't know what we can do here as just anonymous posters on a hockey board but just know that there are people that care about you and that just speaking for myself, I want to wish you well. Please reach out, your life is worth it. It's certainly worth it to us. Please take care.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Thanks for all of the messages guys! I really appreciate it!

If you ever need to talk, you’d be surprised at the amount of people who would be here for you. Even if you don’t know us.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Hey Bro, tried to PM you. Like Runner and Groovejuice said, we hit bad places sometimes. Fact you spoke is good. Do that with someone you know, or your doctor, somebody you can see. We all have value and worth friend. Take care, and seriously, reach out.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Congrats! Just don't be too upset if they end up hating hockey

I tried, damn did I try, well I stopped short of Clockwork Orange style brainwashing (wife intervened) but I bought my daughters little pink Habs jerseys and brought them to the games, just can't force your will on someone

But I guess them hating hockey is better than having kids cheering for the Leafs :laugh:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's a weird thing to realize you've become someone's role model. This little kid is actually looking at you as their blueprint for how they'll interact with others. Whatever crap has defined you until then must be smoothed over and tucked away, replaced by a better version of yourself, one that asks, 'Is this the person I want them to see?' 'Is this the lesson I want to give?' That kind of generational accountability forces a maturity onto you. I'm still the same idiot; I just pick my spots.

Plus, babies and little kids are cute. Usually. Then they become teenagers and your house is crowded with hormonal semi-adults who never leave, eat all your food, and call you "Dad". I've got three of my sons' friends in the other room right now, and I know I'll have to use my deep scary voice to kick them out if I want to sleep.

Welcome to the club, man! Take it all in and enjoy the journey!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hey Bro, tried to PM you. Like Runner and Groovejuice said, we hit bad places sometimes. Fact you spoke is good. Do that with someone you know, or your doctor, somebody you can see. We all have value and worth friend. Take care, and seriously, reach out.

Yianik, thanks so much for reaching out to him. I hope he's reading us. I've been thinking about his post all day. I wish there was something we could do. Spooky, please reach out to one or several of us, as you wish. Just want to make sure you'll be OK. You're not alone, bud.

Reactions: groovejuice

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yesterday was a bit of rough day. Doing better now. I have those days once in a blue moon. Oh well, soldier on for awhile yet. One thing about it, I am an old man, don't have to put much more time in and it will be finished. Being old I have great memories of Habs hockey from late '60s and early '70s. Glory days! So, there are good points

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yesterday was a bit of rough day. Doing better now. I have those days once in a blue moon. Oh well, soldier on for awhile yet. One thing about it, I am an old man, don't have to put much more time in and it will be finished. Being old I have great memories of Habs hockey from late '60s and early '70s. Glory days! So, there are good points
Everyone has those days friend, keep stopping by to chat hockey and other things, I always do and there is always good conversation and laughter here. Cheers!

Reactions: Runner77

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Good to hear from you mate, lots of old boys here- I missed the 60s but recall the 70s like they were yesterday. I just went through maybe 500 of the worst days of my life and as you say soldier on - everyone’s got different reasons to be sad or happy, I’ve just focused on the latter and seemed to help

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

If you were an old man, really old, your memories would start in the 50s . Lol.

Yeah that would have been real cool.

Being you are in Nova Scotia, was your family a Habs family ?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You're far from old, though you obviously feel like it. I'm probably around the same age as you, and I've come to realize you can only plan & control so much in life. Most of it comes down to moments. A good meal, a sincere conversation, a hug, a book, an act of friendship, a YouTube clip, something that makes you laugh, going to a movie -- whatever feels good for you. I count the conversations on this board as some of those moments. Don't discount the real people behind the usernames who've reached out and offered friendship. I don't mean to oversimplify a situation I don't know, so I'll just wish you peace and a few nice moments you can enjoy.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
My friend's wife used to say: "Life's a bitch, and then you die."

Like our friends here have said, reach out and people will be more than happy to help you. The worst thing you can do is wallow in solitude. Go for a walk, clear you head and think positive. It's not always easy, but don't give up.

Oh and congrats to the OP, let's not forget the nature of this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad