Post-Game Talk: I’d 8-2 be the Ducks

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Evan Bouchard is on a 6 game point streak.
Not sure if posted already, or if anyone saw this:
Vinnie D sitting quietly at 22nd in the league, Ekholm at 13th, and Bouchard at 3rd.
jd6br8bz5y2c1.jpg

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What does Ryan Mcleod do exactly besides skate really fast to nowhere?
His game has been coming together lately. He's atleast generating chances now and is retaining puck possession to make plays. I think there's a chance he becomes a decent offensive contributor still, but most likely he'll only be an average offensive contributor which means he has to add more elements to his game if he wants to be a valuable player in this League. He can start by finishing some checks (scratch that, he should finish ALL his checks).

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
yup

Its gotta be so frustrating for him too, he's carried this team for so long and then he gets injured and the boys can't pick up the slack at all. Start the season 5-12... yikes
It's scary how bad the team looked when Connor was hurt. I will add that Ekholm was injured, Leon hit a cold streak and our goalies absolutely shit the bed. Kind of a perfect storm situation.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
When you're supposed to be a contender and you're last or 2nd last in goals against and one guy has given up multiple GA on bad pinches ... I mean it's not unpredictable how that will go.

I honestly would rather our D simply not pinch especially with McDavid getting back to speed.

For every one goal we get out of it, it feels like we give away 2 or 3 in the process.
It seems like they have limited the odd man rushes against the last two games.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
His game has been coming together lately. He's atleast generating chances now and is retaining puck possession to make plays. I think there's a chance he becomes a decent offensive contributor still, but most likely he'll only be an average offensive contributor which means he has to add more elements to his game if he wants to be a valuable player in this League. He can start by finishing some checks (scratch that, he should finish ALL his checks).
I love shitting on him and RNH at times about being soft, but I have noticed that they have been finishing more checks and trying to separate guys from the puck on the forecheck, which is key and something EVERYBODY has to do. Team cannot rely on fancy perimeter passing to just keep a cycle going.

Reactions: Biltmore

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Our bottom 6 just need to know what they are expected to do. Too many of them play like they are top 6 guys IMO.

You watch vegas, they throw out Kolesar/Cotter/and whoever and they just crash and bang and play simple dumb hockey. Stay even and kill some clock, but they punish and tire out the other guys. They aren't liabilities and do not try to get all fancy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I love shitting on him and RNH at times about being soft, but I have noticed that they have been finishing more checks and trying to separate guys from the puck on the forecheck, which is key and something EVERYBODY has to do. Team cannot rely on fancy perimeter passing to just keep a cycle going.
They both are mostly fully bought into that for the playoffs too. The thing with Nuge though is hes a legit top 6 player and has scored 100 points, if he doesnt do grinder type stuff ALL the time, I'm willing to give it a pass cause we need him healthy for his production. Can't say the same for McLeod who still needs to establish what he is in this League.

Our bottom 6 just need to know what they are expected to do. Too many of them play like they are top 6 guys IMO.

You watch vegas, they throw out Kolesar/Cotter/and whoever and they just crash and bang and play simple dumb hockey. Stay even and kill some clock, but they punish and tire out the other guys. They aren't liabilities and do not try to get all fancy
True. The bottom 6 guys need to know their role and embrace it. I think in general our team is good at this, Mcleod is the major outlier right now though.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
They both are mostly fully bought into that for the playoffs too. The thing with Nuge though is hes a legit top 6 player and has scored 100 points, if he doesnt do grinder type stuff ALL the time, I'm willing to give it a pass cause we need him healthy for his production. Can't say the same for McLeod who still needs to establish what he is in this League.

True. The bottom 6 guys need to know their role and embrace it. I think in general our team is good at this, Mcleod is the major outlier right now though.
Yeah, I agree on Nuge. I do not expect his type of player to always be doing that non stop. McLoed, yes.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's scary how bad the team looked when Connor was hurt. I will add that Ekholm was injured, Leon hit a cold streak and our goalies absolutely shit the bed. Kind of a perfect storm situation.

Having your best forward and best d man playing injured at the same time that nearly everyone else on the team is playing their worst possible hockey individually is a massive hurdle to overcome.

A slower McDavid or Ekholm would have an impact no matter what, but in other times Drai would pick up some slack. Or the PK would be on, or goalie plays well for a stretch, etc. Something else in the lineup would give us a chance to win games.

We had literally nothing to lean on with how everyone was playing. Honestly, it’s kind of ridiculous that basically nobody other than Hyman and Foegele seemed to be at all prepared to start the season. Especially with the smoke they blew in the off season. Very disappointing.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
These guys got such a gut check to start this season, they’re not taking anything for granted and I don’t see them having some awful slump at least not due to losing focus or laziness. They were thoroughly embarrassed and humbled.

If we get another goalie and Skinner can just play decent I think we claw our way back and don’t let up. I just can’t see this team getting lazy late in the year, they’re out to prove everyone wrong from here on out.

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure if posted already, or if anyone saw this:
Vinnie D sitting quietly at 22nd in the league, Ekholm at 13th, and Bouchard at 3rd.
jd6br8bz5y2c1.jpg
Checks out. The Oilers are like 3rd in the league in xGF% aren't they? This team's 1st quarter problems are almost entirely tied to bad luck in terms of shooting and piss poor goaltending. They've consistently outchanced opponents all season. They have the highest xGF/60 in the league. They're ~12th in xGA/60. They are top 5 in HDCA/60 but last in HDGA/60. They just don't get the clutch saves other teams get.

Last edited:
Reactions: McBooya42

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Checks out. The Oilers are like 3rd in the league in xGF% aren't they? This team's 1st quarter problems are almost entirely tied to bad luck in terms of shooting and piss poor goaltending. They've consistently outchanced opponents all season. They have the highest xGF/60 in the league. They're ~12th in xGA/60. They are top 5 in HDCA/60 but last in HDGA/60. They just don't get the clutch saves other teams get.
Exactly. Mind you it doesn't help with poor defensive coverage. Skinner and especially Soup are not good at close in, high quality chances from the opposition. Take that away, keep it to the perimeter and we'll be golden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad