Post-Game Talk: I’d 8-2 be the Ducks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Struds always talks about this, but one of the biggest issues is the guys have no identity in the bottom 6. Outside of Erne who is physical none of the other guys really have something that they are known for every night.

We really need guys to start sticking out for doing something every night. It would also be fine if it was just a couple guys not providing offense, but that whole bottom six outside of Foegele isn't doing a lot offensively. Although with that being said even Foegele has been gifted some primo minutes so is his 8 points all that impressive?

Yeah the bottom 6 just has issues. If we take a line up of like:

Holloway - McLeod - Foegele
Janmark - Hamblin - Ryan

I dont even mind the particular players in general, but on paper it looks like something that doesnt work. And in real life, it doesnt work either.

1) As you mentioned. Theres no identity with these player. What exactly are the lines suppose to be? Energy? Defensive? Offensive? Its put together like the GM/coach dont even care.
2) I just dont think McLeod is a 3C on any aspiring team. And this isnt a hindsight thing, I've never seen it. I dont mind the player but hes a 4C at best. Problem is that 2.1m dollars arent 4C's.
3) I personally dont think theres just not enough talent in the bottom 6. When all of the talent is in the top 6, the roster looks pretty meak. For whatever reason, theres not even an attempt to spread the talent around. I still dont know why we didnt try Holloway, Lavoie, Borgault etc in training camp filtered in the top 9. If they tried it and it didnt work, then fine.
4) The team didnt even make an attempt to address the 4C. Peculiar choice. Luckily Hamblin has been ok.
5) I think part of the reason why the lines have no identity is because the top 6 plays so much. Need a goal late in a game? Up a goal late in the game? Need an empty net goal to clinch a game? Team basically throws the same combination of players on the ice regardless of the situation. Not sure its a good or bad decision, but I dont think it makes the team cohesive.

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
It's still a long way back to even just respectability at this point.

I think the playoffs are unlikely but at least the team is fun to watch again and that's all I can ask for is to be entertained since the Cup isn't happening.wgike they r not out of the woods yet, I think all they have to do is get in .. wildcard or whatever... Oh , and get a decent goalie.. I believe they'll do both .
As bad as they've been. And it's been ATROCIOUS...
Their only 5 points back of last year's pace, at the same game mark .
All they need to do is get in, wildcard, whatever...
And get a decent goalie.I believe they'll do both .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I too pegged the Washington win in the pre-game thread. Felt the team showed enough third period of the Carolina game which made me feel confident along with the Caps being somewhat overhyped imo. Thought that tough road trip they would beat Tampa and Washington. But the collapse of goaltending and shitty own zone execution made a grim picture especially with the Carolina blow out.

Without question pain factored into McDavid's pedestrian performance. However the fine motor skills components being so off and stapling he and Draisailt compel me to believe his hand/wrist was also compromised.

Seeing this team first hand embarrassed twice in Vancouver certainly amplified my concern about this team. But I always believed they were short in personnel most specifically top four RD to be a true Cup contender capable of hiding poor goaltending. Seems to me they have three pieces to upgrade, RD, goaltending, and ideally 3C. The Campbell contract is a killer to make these necessary moves in-season but never know...
I think Campbell can comeback as well. That wasn't going to be happening under Woody for reasons I've already posted. Its the thing with fresh coaching is every player can have a new slate. Sometimes its needed.

I really applaud the use of 12 forwards and rolling lines and getting to that structure of a game and making all players part of team. This was from the gospel of Woody, but oddly the pages got ripped out. Seeing Hamblin scoring last night and being part of some great win. That was one of the greatest parts.

As Duncan Keith told the team you have to be there for every other player. Whether that be Koskinen or anybody. Duncan sensed some players were not getting support and the team responded to give them that. Its what teams need to do, or concept of team is diminished.

In Carolina game there needs to be some more recognition when opponents are bringing the house. That was the Carolina Hurricane period. Simply survive that and you got the game. giving up 4 made that harder. When a team like that is full court pressing you need to focus on every puck out and survive the segment. Most teams can't bring that pressure full game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's pretty easy to "settle in" when your team scores 3 goals on its first 4 shots.

For one the other team is demoralized (we've seen that on our side) when that happens, and two you get "oh hey, the other goalie is crapping the bed even harder than I am" get out of jail free card.

Skinner is a back up goalie, maybe a 1B.
I'm just trying to find something positive. Skinner was awful in the first period. But yeah, with yesterdays run support any goalie should be able to get a W. Like I said we're not going to be facing clubs giving us everything every night. What a craptastic game the Ducks have right now. The standings really disguise that they are in a deep dive. That team is playing poorly.

I would start Pickard next game but I doubt that occurs against Vegas.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Struds always talks about this, but one of the biggest issues is the guys have no identity in the bottom 6. Outside of Erne who is physical none of the other guys really have something that they are known for every night.

We really need guys to start sticking out for doing something every night. It would also be fine if it was just a couple guys not providing offense, but that whole bottom six outside of Foegele isn't doing a lot offensively. Although with that being said even Foegele has been gifted some primo minutes so is his 8 points all that impressive?
This is what really dampens my enthusiasm for them making a run, outside of the regressed goaltending.

It still doesn't feel like a TEAM, just not enough contributions throughout the lineup and the bottom 6 is out there just killing time for the most part. They aren't playing physical, they aren't scoring, they aren't great defensively. What purpose do they serve exactly outside of bleeding clock when they're out there? What's their identity?
I wouldn't even count Foegele in the contributors department since almost all his production occurred in the top 6. It's too bad Holloway got hurt because he was starting gain his footing as a bottom 6 driver and guy that was hard to play against.

A team that's suspect defensively can make a playoff run as long as they have strengths in other areas. This team right now has little contribution from the bottom 6, below average defense and well below average goaltending. What they had last year was a good bottom 6 (a bottom 6 that was actually outscoring), solid goaltending once Skinner took the reigns and a defense that could at least defend a bit when needed, all of those areas have regressed significantly this season. I just don't see that mojo with this group now and while it's great to see the McDavid of old return, it's not going to be nearly enough if they're not getting contributions from support players.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The goalie was shaky to start. You would probably agree, and almost allowed a 3rd goal that would've been a real stinker. Skinner settled in around the 15min mark and made a good glove stop but his game starts have been problematic for awhile. The Oilers may not have been able to save him if he lets in that 3rd goal or the couple posts he gave up. He came around, but the credit is with team. The team have been allowing only about 5 chances against the last couple games which is really low.

Thing is though the Ducks played a very loose game and allowed the Oilers sufficient run support and filthy chances and there were a ton of great snipes by the Oilers. Its not something we're going to be getting every game in the highest rung of hockey on the planet. Usually the opponent performances are a lot tighter than this.

Good for Skinner to find resilience yesterday. he did rebound. Not sure what he needs to change up though to be prepared to start games.
I agree.
I mentioned pretty much the same thing in my game post. It was a solid affort but against a bad team. That said they did exactly what they should have done by crushing the Ducks.
Very helpful for team confidence.

Ideally (form game to game) when a part of their game isnt working it will be supported by the the aspects of their game that are working. As long as too many things dont break down at the same time (which was happening a lot this season) they should be fine.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's still a long way back to even just respectability at this point.

I think the playoffs are unlikely but at least the team is fun to watch again and that's all I can ask for is to be entertained since the Cup isn't happening.
The playoffs are likely. Mark it down. heh

Blues are gonna falter and every team fighting for a WC ahead of us already are struggling. Only Nashville in ascendency and I don't know that lasts either, or Jets staying in top 3. Or even Nucks who look plain as of late.

The Oilers in my determination are still likely to be WC and may even be third place. Nucks are improved but I don't see them as a top club. Its been a very up and down group that have a lot of downspells in seasons. The nucks have ridiculously undeserved scoring differential right now. basically all their games are even but they're goal differential is highest in league despite that not being supported by shots, game play, possession, anything. Just that they've had unbelievable puck luck and goaltending.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People can critique aspects of play. Thats fine. Don't question the integrity of the player themselves. You know the line I'm talking about. I mean I've spelled it out well enough. Anyway enough of this. Points already made on all accounts.
Just curious...I have never attacked the character of either player and I never would.
I have however taken issue with elements of their leadership and their defensive play.

You took special note of my critique of Drais defensive play. Essentially you suggested that I had no business critiquing Drai at all.
Was this just some hypersensitivity on your part?
If so thats fine. Happens to all of us sometimes.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Great game played. Wish they would have played Pickard yesterday, especially if they plan to play Skinner next two games.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm just trying to find something positive. Skinner was awful in the first period. But yeah, with yesterdays run support any goalie should be able to get a W. Like I said we're not going to be facing clubs giving us everything every night. What a craptastic game the Ducks have right now. The standings really disguise that they are in a deep dive. That team is playing poorly.

I would start Pickard next game but I doubt that occurs against Vegas.

I think when Skinner is playing well, it appears that he isnt moving much. He is just square to the shot and blocks the puck. And generally plays big in net.

Hes just not playing well. I dont know how else to sugar coat it. On the second goal against last night, sure hes caught between a read but hes moving too much. I know he didnt mean it but he literally dodged to miss the puck haha.

And then on the first goal against. Its a tough save for him. As others have posted, his push off from side to side isnt great. Not sure its ever been his strength but I dont remember it being this bad last year.

I just hope at this point that he can nail down the basics. Square to the shot. Block the puck. I dont think hes ever going to be athletic enough moving side to side. And his rebound control is probably always going to be an issue.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The playoffs are likely. Mark it down. heh

Blues are gonna falter and every team fighting for a WC ahead of us already are struggling. Only Nashville in ascendency and I don't know that lasts either, or Jets staying in top 3. Or even Nucks who look plain as of late.

The Oilers in my determination are still likely to be WC and may even be third place. Nucks are improved but I don't see them as a top club. Its been a very up and down group that have a lot of downspells in seasons. The nucks have ridiculously undeserved scoring differential right now. basically all their games are even but they're goal differential is highest in league despite that not being supported by shots, game play, possession, anything. Just that they've had unbelievable puck luck and goaltending.
I think likely is a stretch but the one positive is that the west is weak after the top 6. Blues, Coyotes, Preds, Blackhawks, Flames, Kraken, Ducks, Sharks. Only 1 playoff team from last year in that group and even the Canucks and Jets have been known to collapse so I wouldn't write them in yet so it's there to be had but it would require lazer sharp focus from the Oilers (no real dips) and I just don't know if THIS group has it in them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just curious...I have never attacked the character of either player and I never would.
I have however taken issue with elements of their leadership and their defensive play.

You took special note of my critique of Drais defensive play. Essentially you suggested that I had no business critiquing Drai at all.
Was this just some hypersensitivity on your part?
If so thats fine. Happens to all of us.
II think the bolded can be a distortion. I've critiqued Drais game as well from time to time. I have done so. That said in a lot of games where people state such as "Drai has done nothing in this game" I sometimes make a point of detailing the plays he did make that just didn't go. Or pointing out where he did save a goal against on a backcheck as well.

Specific play criticism is fine. But that too can get cloudy because people will state. "Drai should stop making those blind passes" wherein Drai is the best player in the world at making cloaked passes and one of the things so dangerous is that he knows where the player is but disguises the pass by not making it obvious he's seeing it. McD did the same last night springing Hyman. just a beautiful no look.

Supreme players make those. I do get a bit antsy when suggestions occur here that great players should STOP making such players. (not you)

Hypersensitivity? I look at greatness differently than some. My own take is that lets leave it to bandwagon boards to call down their top players (they hardly have any;)) and lets enjoy our top players and free from making the types of comments about our own generational players that can look bad.

Heres another thing. People strongly feel on this board its more about the logo than the player. To me its both. I will continue to love McDrai wherever they are (hopefully here) but I will cheer for the logo too as long as it, or I exist. It can be both. In sports or art or entertainment I love what I love. I don't stop loving it. Just like I've loved Hemingway. Isn't that fair?

I think when Skinner is playing well, it appears that he isnt moving much. He is just square to the shot and blocks the puck. And generally plays big in net.

Hes just not playing well. I dont know how else to sugar coat it. On the second goal against last night, sure hes caught between a read but hes moving too much. I know he didnt mean it but he literally dodged to miss the puck haha.

And then on the first goal against. Its a tough save for him. As others have posted, his push off from side to side isnt great. Not sure its ever been his strength but I dont remember it being this bad last year.

I just hope at this point that he can nail down the basics. Square to the shot. Block the puck. I dont think hes ever going to be athletic enough moving side to side. And his rebound control is probably always going to be an issue.
On the second goal he actually lifts his pad just before the puck goes in, under the pad. Pretty disappointing goal. I mean it was just a standard spin shot on the ice. If Skinner even stays in spot he makes the save.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
II think the bolded can be a distortion. I've critiqued Drais game as well from time to time. I have done so. That said in a lot of games where people state such as "Drai has done nothing in this game" I sometimes make a point of detailing the plays he did make that just didn't go. Or pointing out where he did save a goal against on a backcheck as well.

Specific play criticism is fine. But that too can get cloudy because people will state. "Drai should stop making those blind passes" wherein Drai is the best player in the world at making cloaked passes and one of the things so dangerous is that he knows where the player is but disguises the pass by not making it obvious he's seeing it. McD did the same last night springing Hyman. just a beautiful no look.

Supreme players make those. I do get a bit antsy when suggestions occur here that great players should STOP making such players. (not you)

Hypersensitivity? I look at greatness differently than some. My own take is that lets leave it to bandwagon boards to call down their top players (they hardly have any;)) and lets enjoy our top players and free from making the types of comments about our own generational players that can look bad.

Heres another thing. People strongly feel on this board its more about the logo than the player. To me its both. I will continue to love McDrai wherever they are (hopefully here) but I will cheer for the logo too as long as it, or I exist. It can be both. In sports or art or entertainment I love what I love. I don't stop loving it. Just like I've loved Hemingway. Isn't that fair?

On the second goal he actually lifts his pad just before the puck goes in, under the pad. Pretty disappointing goal. I mean it was just a standard spin shot on the ice. If Skinner even stays in spot he makes the save.
Lets just say that at that time ( few games ago) you were not at all interested in any critiques of Drai.
I am glad to hear that has shifted for you.

I was going to resurface some prior posts around exactly what I am talking about.
I decided against it because I am going to cut you some slack.

Th team is winning (for now). Maybe we can come together around that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets just say that at that time ( few games ago) you were not at all interested in any critiques of Drai.
I am glad to hear that has shifted for you.

I was going to resurface some prior posts around exactly what I am talking about.
I decided against it because I am going to cut you some slack.

Th team is winning (for now). Maybe we can come together around that.
For all us fans cutting each other slack as we're fans of the same team is certainly preferable.

Theres nothing like either winning or losing to create polarity around here...;)

The dynamic of this board is that a lot of us have been around for a long time. Theres good and bad in that. The good is familiarity, the bad is familiarity. haha

So that every one of us has been seen going down rabbit holes.

But think about it. Some of us have been engaged to the board longer than their life partners (not me, married for 37yrs) Just trying to be funny with this.

cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think Campbell can comeback as well. That wasn't going to be happening under Woody for reasons I've already posted. Its the thing with fresh coaching is every player can have a new slate. Sometimes its needed.

I really applaud the use of 12 forwards and rolling lines and getting to that structure of a game and making all players part of team. This was from the gospel of Woody, but oddly the pages got ripped out. Seeing Hamblin scoring last night and being part of some great win. That was one of the greatest parts.

As Duncan Keith told the team you have to be there for every other player. Whether that be Koskinen or anybody. Duncan sensed some players were not getting support and the team responded to give them that. Its what teams need to do, or concept of team is diminished.

In Carolina game there needs to be some more recognition when opponents are bringing the house. That was the Carolina Hurricane period. Simply survive that and you got the game. giving up 4 made that harder. When a team like that is full court pressing you need to focus on every puck out and survive the segment. Most teams can't bring that pressure full game.
I am skeptical Campbell will come back to earn his team's trust. Skinner is also erratic. I'd try to trade for Askarov and set this team's goaltending up long-term but their immediacy likely means a trade for a stable veteran. Teams have to trust their goaltenders. Just don't see that belief in Campbell despite platitudes as a good person and teammate.

Knoblauch seems a far more pragmatic coach speaking to the simplicity and simple truths of the game. Focus on building consistency which he states is a requirement that helps goaltenders to succeed. Getting this team to function with greater coherence, build up the team's structure and consistency, and concentrate on quicker, smarter defensive puck movements out of their own zone. Will be interesting to see how Knoblauch's coaching takes with some dedicated practise time coming up soon.

The Oil were deeply caved in with the Carolina game. Significant mistakes which crushed them. A huge ray of light that they didn't quit and showed resiliency in fighting back in the third period. Carolina let up as part of that. But the Oilers resiliency was vital with a season teetering towards prospective extinction. Belief and confidence are vital. Hopefully they have weathered this significant adversity and start to climb with the new coaching guidance and tools in place.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For all us fans cutting each other slack as we're fans of the same team is certainly preferable.

Theres nothing like either winning or losing to create polarity around here...;)

The dynamic of this board is that a lot of us have been around for a long time. Theres good and bad in that. The good is familiarity, the bad is familiarity. haha

So that every one of us has been seen going down rabbit holes.

But think about it. Some of us have been engaged to the board longer than their life partners (not me, married for 37yrs) Just trying to be funny with this.

cheers
Lots of truth in there....especially the familiarity part...lol

We are both old timers on here...cant recall what your original join date was though.

Was it May 2005?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am skeptical Campbell will come back to earn his team's trust. Skinner is also erratic. I'd try to trade for Askarov and set this team's goaltending up long-term but their immediacy likely means a trade for a stable veteran. Teams have to trust their goaltenders. Just don't see that belief in Campbell despite platitudes as a good person and teammate.

Knoblauch seems a far more pragmatic coach speaking to the simplicity and simple truths of the game. Focus on building consistency which he states is a requirement that helps goaltenders to succeed. Getting this team to function with greater coherence, build up the team's structure and consistency, and concentrate on quicker, smarter defensive puck movements out of their own zone. Will be interesting to see how Knoblauch's coaching takes with some dedicated practise time coming up soon.

The Oil were deeply caved in with the Carolina game. Significant mistakes which crushed them. A huge ray of light that they didn't quit and showed resiliency in fighting back in the third period. Carolina let up as part of that. But the Oilers resiliency was vital with a season teetering towards prospective extinction. Belief and confidence are vital. Hopefully they have weathered this significant adversity and start to climb with the new coaching guidance and tools in place.
Disagree with the bolded. There was a flood in first period. What the Oilers need to be better at is recognition of same. Several teams do the same as the Canes did there. All of LA, NJ, Canes, Dallas will attempt to win a game in one period. They will throw everything crashing into that one period hoping to seal the game. Sometimes its not the first period. but these teams do that as part of their DNA. You can't play 60mins with that kind of pressure forecheck, physicality jump and no teams do. What has to be spotted is when the opponent is bringing that storm to the game. You have to survive those moments better. Getting pucks out, getting NZ presence, getting sticks in lanes whatever. You have to find stops in the pressure. The Oilers are often guilty, when faced with that storm, of being bowed by it. Its a learning that still hasn't occurred, and needs to occur to get next level.

Of course having stronger goaltending is a way to better survive such storms.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lots of truth in there....especially the familiarity part...lol

We are both old timers on here...cant recall what your original join date was though.

Was it May 2005?
I know it was 2005. Thats about as close as I can get. Not sure exactly. I think I posted here during the Oilers farm team here with Torres and Stoll on it in the lock out year.

I was the guy with the "Tickets to ride" threads here posting up what teams around the league were doing for their fans to give them a ticket break after the year long lockout. I was advocating the Oilers do that and reached out to the club. The club responded by giving families or others lower cost ticket options for 8 of the season games. Pricing these games for as low as 20 dollars. The club released around 1800 tickets to each of the 8 home games at the reduced price. This was mostly games against say Columbus or Buffalo or STL and the reduced price tickets were all gallery but they still did it which was nice.

Thanks for hearing what I'm saying in the post. Just because theres been friction between posters at times to me means less. It means less than if we're still talking today. Thank you for that. I mean that with anybody. Well almost. heh.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is what really dampens my enthusiasm for them making a run, outside of the regressed goaltending.

It still doesn't feel like a TEAM, just not enough contributions throughout the lineup and the bottom 6 is out there just killing time for the most part. They aren't playing physical, they aren't scoring, they aren't great defensively. What purpose do they serve exactly outside of bleeding clock when they're out there? What's their identity?
I wouldn't even count Foegele in the contributors department since almost all his production occurred in the top 6. It's too bad Holloway got hurt because he was starting gain his footing as a bottom 6 driver and guy that was hard to play against.

A team that's suspect defensively can make a playoff run as long as they have strengths in other areas. This team right now has little contribution from the bottom 6, below average defense and well below average goaltending. What they had last year was a good bottom 6 (a bottom 6 that was actually outscoring), solid goaltending once Skinner took the reigns and a defense that could at least defend a bit when needed, all of those areas have regressed significantly this season. I just don't see that mojo with this group now and while it's great to see the McDavid of old return, it's not going to be nearly enough if they're not getting contributions from support players.
The bottom 6 at this time last year wasn't exactly that good either. But yes it does seem like a bleeding of the clock with them this year

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Disagree with the bolded. There was a flood in first period. What the Oilers need to be better at is recognition of same. Several teams do the same as the Canes did there. All of LA, NJ, Canes, Dallas will attempt to win a game in one period. They will throw everything crashing into that one period hoping to seal the game. Sometimes its not the first period. but these teams do that as part of their DNA. You can't play 60mins with that kind of pressure forecheck, physicality jump and no teams do. What has to be spotted is when the opponent is bringing that storm to the game. You have to survive those moments better. Getting pucks out, getting NZ presence, getting sticks in lanes whatever. You have to find stops in the pressure. The Oilers are often guilty, when faced with that storm, of being bowed by it. Its a learning that still hasn't occurred, and needs to occur to get next level.

Of course having stronger goaltending is a way to better survive such storms.
I could have been more clear in my post. Caved in the first period. Showed their resiliency in the third. Carolina jumped a slow starting team wobbling through significant adversity that had them swimming with Sharks.

Per their coach's analysis:

Coach Knoblauch on the level of concern with Edmonton's starts:
"We didn't give ourselves any favors there and made it harder for us, and I just see a lot of guys who are working hard and do care; are so worried about making mistakes and ultimately it's paralyzing us and holding us back and we're just not playing with our instincts. We just have to get away from it."
Coach Knoblauch on coaching those mistakes out of the group:
"There's coaching as in the systems making sure everyone's doing the right things and being in the right spots. Whoever has the puck, he knows his outs and he knows where his support is so he can make those plays. So I guess the coaching part is getting those guys in the right spots, but a lot of it's just feel; knowing when to hold the puck and what the next play is going to be. But if we can get all the guys together moving in sync, that'll certainly reduce the mistakes."

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think likely is a stretch but the one positive is that the west is weak after the top 6. Blues, Coyotes, Preds, Blackhawks, Flames, Kraken, Ducks, Sharks. Only 1 playoff team from last year in that group and even the Canucks and Jets have been known to collapse so I wouldn't write them in yet so it's there to be had but it would require lazer sharp focus from the Oilers (no real dips) and I just don't know if THIS group has it in them.
I would go further and say the west is weak after the top 3: Avs, Knights, and Kings. The Stars don't scare me, the Jets are the Jets and everyone else is a big bag of mediocre.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I could have been more clear in my post. Caved in the first period. Showed their resiliency in the third. Carolina jumped a slow starting team wobbling through significant adversity that had them swimming with Sharks.

Per their coach's analysis:

Coach Knoblauch on the level of concern with Edmonton's starts:
"We didn't give ourselves any favors there and made it harder for us, and I just see a lot of guys who are working hard and do care; are so worried about making mistakes and ultimately it's paralyzing us and holding us back and we're just not playing with our instincts. We just have to get away from it."
Coach Knoblauch on coaching those mistakes out of the group:
"There's coaching as in the systems making sure everyone's doing the right things and being in the right spots. Whoever has the puck, he knows his outs and he knows where his support is so he can make those plays. So I guess the coaching part is getting those guys in the right spots, but a lot of it's just feel; knowing when to hold the puck and what the next play is going to be. But if we can get all the guys together moving in sync, that'll certainly reduce the mistakes."
Isn't it wonderful to have coaching words and feedback that actually is specific and means something? Words are words but really impressed with how he hits it. Just seems on with the comments and also that I'm seeing changes in the play that are consistent with what gets stated.

Some times its just a coach hitting the sore pressure spots with comments. Getting to the keys of what is ailing the club mentally. KK seems pretty astute at that.

One of the chief differences is KK delineating where problems lie. Woody would devolve into generic comments about "our group" which ultimately evaded accountability or specificity.

Ultimately I think Woody lost trust with his "we win as a team and lose as a team" comment after playoff exit. Don't think the players were overly pleased with that. It seems in exit interview Drai wasn't.

Knoblauchs 2nd comment is about getting players back to trusting themselves, trusting instincts and each other. This is consistent with Drais postgame meeting with the team stressing that "we got this, we know what we have to do" I thought it productive that Drai had a reaffirming meeting with the team and they were all smiles in Washington. KK imparts a calm to the team that I think could be beneficial. But I think he's balls enough to make specific comments too. Team is much more vocal with each other again. Even putting the D together in the room, that affords dialog, feedback, and also accountability as unit.

Reactions: subnet

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I would go further and say the west is weak after the top 3: Avs, Knights, and Kings. The Stars don't scare me, the Jets are the Jets and everyone else is a big bag of mediocre.

Even the big three all have varying degrees of flaws that have already exposed themselves this year (other than LA, they're still on their heater).

Avalanche - scoring depth is a concern along with injuries that hit them seemingly every year. They're in a weird spot where they either will blow a team out with 5+ goals or not score at all. Outside of MacKinnon, Nichushkin and Rantanen nobody on that team scares me at all up front.

Knights - injuries, goaltending, and scoring depth. They have few natural offensive talents on this team outside of Eichel and have to do it by a committee of guys that can conceivably score in the range of 20 goals. This can obviously work, but can also not work when the sticks get a bit cold as they are now. Goaltending an obvious concern as well.

Kings - unlike the other two none of the issues that should plague them have yet surfaced, but IMO they will. They have lots of guys shooting the lights out that won't sustain and say what you want about Talbot, but .930 top of the line goalie he is not. Both will come back to earth in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad