Proposal: Hypothetical Rebuild 7: Trade 1 (Updated Poll)

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
nyquist plus sheahan plus sproul
nyquist plus 2017 1st plus smith

????

I'd pull the trigger on both of those, especially the first one. Like TZE posted St. Louis really wants a high potential or established center, for Detroit it would be Larkin.

If you could somehow acquire Shatty without moving Larkin, and trade Tatar for Vatanen could run

Abby-Z-Larkin
AA - Pav - Mantha
Pulkinnen - Sheahan - Jurco
UFA - Glendening- AHL

Kronwall-Shatty
DeKeyser - Vatanen
Ericsson- Green

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
I'd pull the trigger on both of those, especially the first one. Like TZE posted St. Louis really wants a high potential or established center, for Detroit it would be Larkin.

I don't think STL is in a position of strength in this trade. They're heading into cap hell, they probably can't protect all their defence in the upcoming expansion draft, they control Shatty for only 1 year before he is UFA. I think the closest comparison is Sekera trade to LA which happened as a rental for 1st round pick and 2nd round prospect (which was considered a big price).

Full year of Shattenkirk is probably worth Nyquist+2nd+Smith (or whatever spare part they want).

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I don't think STL is in a position of strength in this trade. They're heading into cap hell, they probably can't protect all their defence in the upcoming expansion draft, they control Shatty for only 1 year before he is UFA. I think the closest comparison is Sekera trade to LA which happened as a rental for 1st round pick and 2nd round prospect (which was considered a big price).

Full year of Shattenkirk is probably worth Nyquist+2nd+Smith (or whatever spare part they want).

The Yandle trade might be a better comparable. If Shattenkirk really is on the market St. Louis will be able to find a Center, some team will offer one up. Losing Larkin and watching Shattenkirk walk after a year would be unbearable, that is why I don't see the Wings as players for his services. Vatanen on the other hand...

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The Blues prices would have to come down for us to really enter into that. As long as they remain center focused we suffer in any discussion with them. The cost of Shattenkirk would be significant in my opinion. First round pick plus good roster player is going have to be there.

Do you figure AA could enter the discussion at some point? Seems to have decent potential as 2nd line C. Obviously we'd need to add but I feel like he could interest STL. Not keen on giving him up but if he can return Shattenkirk (with pluses added on to AA) I don't know how the Wings say no.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

We aren't "heading to cap hell", in fact we have significant cap worries at all. As pointed out, the best comparison to the Blues potentially moving Shattenkirk would be the Yandle trade; a player who isn't as good, was older and wasn't likely to resign. The market dictates value, and I find it difficult to imagine the market not being strong for Shattenkirk if he is put on the open market.

I don't think the offer is terrible, but it isn't one I would consider. But then I wouldn't have considered the offer Armstrong accepted for Oshie...

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
As much as I like Tatar we have too many small wings. With the emergence of AA (kinda) and Mantha very close, he's expendable for defense. Not sure I like moving Pulkinnen too though.

At future wing we basically have Nyquist, Abdelkader, Tatar, Pulkinnen, Jurco, Mantha, AA/Svechnikov (I think one will stay a center because of need). That's 7 or 8 guys for 6 top 9 wing spots. Too many and that's not even including guys currently at wing like Zetterberg and Helm.

Regarding the OP though, I think that's too much. I view Tatar and Vatanen as essentially a wash. Pulkinnen despite his struggles is worth a lot more than essentially a nothing pick in the 5th.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
As much as I like Tatar we have too many small wings. With the emergence of AA (kinda) and Mantha very close, he's expendable for defense. Not sure I like moving Pulkinnen too though.

They're not trading Tatar while he's making $2.75 million for another season. That's just dumb. It's such a great value contract. They'll only move him if he doesn't accept his qualifying offer at the same price next offseason or fails to negotiate a long-term deal at a price similar to Nyquist, I assume.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They're not trading Tatar while he's making $2.75 million for another season. That's just dumb. It's such a great value contract. They'll only move him if he doesn't accept his qualifying offer at the same price next offseason or fails to negotiate a long-term deal at a price similar to Nyquist, I assume.

I think they will move him for defensive help.

I actually think there will be a market for second pairing D-man this off-season. With expansion looming you have to pick your three. A couple of teams will have to make a tough call on that and maybe dangle the guy outside of their top 3 for trade. This is especially significant in St. Louis and Anaheim for example.

The flat cap will make things interesting. But with Vegas looking extremely likely the next year there are a couple teams with tough choices to make.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think they will move him for defensive help.

I actually think there will be a market for second pairing D-man this off-season. With expansion looming you have to pick your three. A couple of teams will have to make a tough call on that and maybe dangle the guy outside of their top 3 for trade. This is especially significant in St. Louis and Anaheim for example.

The flat cap will make things interesting. But with Vegas looking extremely likely the next year there are a couple teams with tough choices to make.

Flat cap?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I don't think vatanen is the answer, we need someone with real potential to become a #1 dman.

You don't need a real answer right away. You slowly build up your blue line. Or vatanen could be flipped for a bigger asset. Him plus a mantha type prospect

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

It's dumb to trade a non-crucial player with good value for a player who addresses a major need who also has good value??

Trading an asset because they have great value is why we're spinning our wheels in the first place.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You don't need a real answer right away. You slowly build up your blue line. Or vatanen could be flipped for a bigger asset. Him plus a mantha type prospect

You're like that guy who used Craigslist to turn a paperclip into a car through dozens of trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad