Hypothetical... Keep hacking at Myers.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Maybe this belongs in a trade forum but I'm looking for the opinion of Red Wings fans on what we should or shouldn't do as oppose debating other fans on the value... (Though the two are very related anyway)

Anyways, most seem to be in agreement that we need a top pairing guy to be really 'up there'.

We have quite a log jam at forward and defense... If we could offer Winnipeg something along the lines of Pulkkinen, Mantha perhaps Quincey and a pick for Myers, would you folks be on board with that? Or what price would you be willing to pay? (Please don't say Kindl and 3rd)

Do you see it as even a possibility for us to still get the guy at a reasonable price?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't see it happening. He seems to have worked out well for Winnipeg, a team that is likely always going to have trouble attracting top established talent. If he leaves Winnipeg, it'll be at the 2018/19 trade deadline or on 7/1/19.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think they want to trade Myers in any case.

Winnipeg is commonly voted to have best prospects currently in whole NHL, so I think they want to build their Right-side Right-handed defencemen future under Trouba and Myers on the TOP4. This is kind of a lock. Superb pieces to build on.

They are on an age, which will fit for the prospect core to peak out in few years.

So when Dustin Byfuglien will hit the free agency, that's the piece they would probably move. They can't afford for three expensive RhDs long-term because of the cap, and Byfuglien's prime would probably be over until their prospects will peak out.

That's the case why they shouldn't keep Byfuglien. They probably would get better price of Myers, but his peak will fit better with their future.

To offer something for Byfuglien?

Smith + Quincey could work. Quincey is not needed for the Jets, but he just has to go other way to get caphits fit.

Or... Smith+Kindl = 5.15M and Big-Buff is 5.2M. Winnipeg has 12 million in cap space, so they can eat salary, we can't.

Kronwall - Big-Buff
DeKeyser - Green
Ericsson - Ouellet/Marchenko
(Kindl)

My god that would look nice. Didn't even speculate with offering prospects/picks, but definitely something have to be added if going after Big-Buff.

I think this is more a trade-deadline thing. Nothing will happen for Big-Buff at preseason, or during the season. Have to hope Jets are out playoff-race and decide to trade soon-to-be-UFA Big-Buff to contender. Then it's time to strike.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I agree Buff could be a target. I really don't see a package that would bring Myers to Detroit. They parted with some pretty significant players to get him and he hit the ground running there. I am still pretty shocked Buffalo didn't try hard to make it work with him. 6'8'' decent skating offensive defenseman don't grow on trees.

It would take a can't refuse offer or some of our players that no one wants to mention in trades.

I could see them wanting Mrazek in the deal to even start talks.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Winnipeg is commonly voted to have best prospects currently in whole NHL, so I think they want to build their Right-side Right-handed defencemen future under Trouba and Myers on the TOP4. This is kind of a lock. Superb pieces to build on.

They are on an age, which will fit for the prospect core to peak out in few years.

So when Dustin Byfuglien will hit the free agency, that's the piece they would probably move. They can't afford for three expensive RhDs long-term because of the cap, and Byfuglien's prime would probably be over until their prospects will peak out.

That's the case why they shouldn't keep Byfuglien. They probably would get better price of Myers, but his peak will fit better with their future.

Smith + Quincey could work. Quincey is not needed for the Jets, but he just has to go other way to get caphits fit.

Or... Smith+Kindl = 5.15M and Big-Buff is 5.2M. Winnipeg has 12 million in cap space, so they can eat salary, we can't.

Kronwall - Big-Buff
DeKeyser - Green
(Kindl)

My god that would look nice. Didn't even speculate with offering prospects/picks, but definitely something have to be added if going after Big-Buff.

I think this is more a trade-deadline thing. Nothing will happen for Big-Buff at preseason, or during the season. Have to hope Jets are out playoff-race and decide to trade soon-to-be-UFA Big-Buff to contender. Then it's time to strike.

Buff would definitely be a nice addition but I guess I was hoping for a longer-term solution like Myers...

There were rumours here and there on the offering with Buffalo but if were to keep Larkin away from that trade while letting go of Mantha and a 1st, I really wish we pulled the trigger. Not sure exactly what was the case there...

Not sure about Smith thing though... I would imagine Winnipeg would rather have a project with high upside and Smith's contract expires at the end of this season too. (He signed a one year deal, right?) Would seem pointless from their perspective

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Kronwall - Big-Buff
DeKeyser - Green
(Kindl)

I would love for the Wings to grab Byfuglien. I don't see him re-signing with Winnipeg unless they really turn the corner next season. Too bad they wasted all that cap space on Green and won't have any next season.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Buff would definitely be a nice addition but I guess I was hoping for a longer-term solution like Myers...

There were rumours here and there on the offering with Buffalo but if were to keep Larkin away from that trade while letting go of Mantha and a 1st, I really wish we pulled the trigger. Not sure exactly what was the case there...

Not sure about Smith thing though... I would imagine Winnipeg would rather have a project with high upside and Smith's contract expires at the end of this season too. (He signed a one year deal, right?) Would seem pointless from their perspective

Smiths deal is (unfortunately) for two-years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

IF in some cases they would end keeping Byfuglien + Trouba and trading Myers, I would trade any package they want outside of Larkin and current star players.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I would love for the Wings to grab Byfuglien. I don't see him re-signing with Winnipeg unless they really turn the corner next season. Too bad they wasted all that cap space on Green and won't have any next season.

If we don't re-sign Quincey and one of Helm/Abdelkader and Andersson I would think we have the room then???

IF in some cases they would end keeping Byfuglien + Trouba and trading Myers, I would trade any package they want outside of Larkin and current star players.

I'm with you on this one. That and I'd also prefer not to touch Sheahan as center is right now the worrying concern in the near future. (Outside of defense ofcourse)

Smiths deal is (unfortunately) for two-years.

I don't know... If nothing else, I feel he earned his pay in the handful of playoff games we had the last two seasons! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Wings could go after Buff, but I think the Myers ship sailed. Peg has no reason to deal him. As stated above, he and Trouba are the backbone of their D for years to come. Plus Myers is on a really solid deal right now. Wings could afford Buff too if they wanted to, and he signed for around 7 mil. Especially if they could get Peg to take back a bit of salary. Like say Kindl or Smith+Pulu+Marchenko+1st or something.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we don't re-sign Quincey and one of Helm/Abdelkader and Andersson I would think we have the room then???

Andersson is a non-factor with cap things. He will be cheap ~1M player for his whole career, easy be burned on the waiver wire, but could be valuable kept as 13th-14th guy. As the next "cleary" everybody hates, but as a guy who will help the team more than his contract worth.

But Helm and Abdelkader are gonna get UFA raises and will be the main problem, if we add another big contract.

Quincey gone will help obviously and Richards gone too. But DeKeyser will need a raise and Sheahan/Pulkkinen/Mrazek too.

If the cap is same at 2016-17 (71.4M)

1. Dats 7.5M
2. Zeta 6.1M
3. Gus 4.75M
(Mule 3.95M) don't count him on this case, expect to be LTIR.
(Richards 3.0M) - GONE
4. Tatar 2.75M
(Helm 2.125M) - GONE
(Abdelkader 1.8M) - GONE
(Miller 1.35M) - GONE
5. Sheahan 2.45M (from 950k) ~1.5M raise
6. Pulkkinen 2.0M (Mike Hoffman money) (from 735k) ~1.3M raise
7. Larkin 925k ELC
8. Jurco 900k
9. Ferraro 900k (extended)
10. Andersson 900k (extended)
11. Glendening 628k
12. XXX = 950k
13. YYY = 950k
14. ZZZ = 950k
+ Richards bonus 750k (reached conference finals, of course :))

Total:
33.4M

Sheahan - Zeta - Nyquist
Jurco - Datsyuk - Tatar
XXX - Larkin - Pulkkinen
Andersson - Glendening - Ferraro
(YYY, ZZZ)
Franzen LTIR

1. Byfuglien 6.0M
2. Green 6.0M
3. Kronwall 4.75M
4. DeKeyser 4.5M (from 2.187M) ~2.3M raise (to those David Savard numbers)
5. Ericsson 4.25M
(Quincey 4.25M) - GONE
6. Smith 2.75M
7. Kindl 2.4M
Ouellet?
Marchenko?

Defencemen Total 31.2M

Howard 5.2M
Mrazek 2.2M (from 737k) ~1.5M raise (compared Mrazek to Robin Lehner 2.2M contract)

Goalies Total 7.4M

23-man roster total:
71.5M (100k over the current cap)

MMmmmm, we would be there with long teeth. But something has to be done for that cap-hell defence. There's no room for Ouellet or Marchenko. We can make one 950k hole by waiving Kindl, but another one has to be Smith traded or something like that. Ericsson has NTC.

I really think trade at the deadline would work better, because Winnipeg could eat some critical 2016-17 millions from our cap. Adding Byfuglien from free agency would be technically "free", but it forces us to quite a cap hell. It kind of kills the re-signing of Abdelkader so adding Buff we would lose Abdelkader for sure.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like Buff more than Myers anyway. Guess Tyler Myers is happy to have a new fan-base admire the potential and look at the measurements, not that Buffalo fans didn't want a killing for him. He looked a little better having more talent around him, but I stayed up to watch those Anaheim games, he got manhandled a lot in the playoffs and was exposed throughout the series.

His offense seems to have re-emerged a little, not surprising given the dearth of talent on Buffalo. However, still the same player for me and we answered the second pairing righty for the time being. Buff could play on the top pairing with Kronwall, but he only makes sense to chase if he is willing to extend and that is an awfully hard contract to nail down given his past weight issues and what is sure to be a high number.

Still I am much more fascinated in Buff than Myers.

If the Wings pulled off a trade for Buff, they would have gone from a bottom 10 offensive D-man unit with Kronwall carrying them to Top 3 in the league in one off-season in terms of offensive punch on the backend, it would be impressive to say the least.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Why would the 'peg want to trade Myers away?

and, more importantly, why would the 'peg want to trade Myers away for prospects? They've got a crazy prospect pool as it is. Best in the league, depending on who you ask. They want to win now. If anything, they want to trade prospects for proven talent.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
(In my dreams) Green for Byfuglien straight up would be the deal I'd make with the Jets.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why would the 'peg want to trade Myers away?

and, more importantly, why would the 'peg want to trade Myers away for prospects? They've got a crazy prospect pool as it is. Best in the league, depending on who you ask. They want to win now. If anything, they want to trade prospects for proven talent.

Well, I would consider Myers proven talent moreso than a prospect.

But I agree with you, why would Winnipeg want to trade him? Myers literally just went for Evander Kane. Our equivalent would be giving up Nyquist or Tatar. Anyone wanna do that?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Holland choked as usual when it came to pulling the trigger on a deal for Myers. Imagine having Myers as your #1 and Green as your other RHD to round out your top 4 along with Kronwall and DeKeyser. One of the best top 4 in the east. :shakehead

I suspect Winnipeg has no interest in trading Buff, they are an up and coming team and are looking to make noise in the playoffs. Holland may get a shot at Buff when he hits free agency. :popcorn:

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Holland choked as usual when it came to pulling the trigger on a deal for Myers. Imagine having Myers as your #1 and Green as your other RHD to round out your top 4 along with Kronwall and DeKeyser. One of the best top 4 in the east. :shakehead

I suspect Winnipeg has no interest in trading Buff, they are an up and coming team and are looking to make noise in the playoffs. Holland may get a shot at Buff when he hits free agency. :popcorn:

I think the Jets will be more than willing to trade Buff as the season goes on. They can only sign one of him and Ladd. That is a team, while deep, is an injury or two away from being down at the bottom again. They win waaaay to many games 2-1, 2-0. They just don't have the punch up front as of now, maybe a youngster like Ehlers will help. But if a guy like Pulk was offered along with a slightly cheaper dman, whether its Smith or Quincey, along with a pick or dman prospect, Im sure Winnipeg is listening in a few months.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think the Jets will be more than willing to trade Buff as the season goes on. They can only sign one of him and Ladd.

Why can't they sign both? Do they have some internal money budget?

Jets will have 12 million in cap space...

Even if they have to extend (after next season) Trouba (+4M raise), Scheifele (+3M raise), Byfuglien (1M), Ladd (1M raise), that makes only +9M of most meaningful raises.

They would be easily under even a regressing cap at season 2016-17.

I think they should extend Byfuglien and trade him afterwards. Longer contract would raise his trade value a lot.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why can't they sign both? Do they have some internal money budget?

Jets will have 12 million in cap space...

Even if they have to extend (after next season) Trouba (+4M raise), Scheifele (+3M raise), Byfuglien (1M), Ladd (1M raise), that makes only +9M of most meaningful raises.

They would be easily under even a regressing cap at season 2016-17.

I think they should extend Byfuglien and trade him afterwards. Longer contract would raise his trade value a lot.

depends on his next contract. buff may not age very well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yep. But if his weight becomes a problem on later age, there's still the chance to transfer him quite easily a punishing power-forward and superb net-front precence. That was his trademark at Hawks 2010 Cup run and I will never forget it. No one could do nothing for him in front the net.

So, later years, if he can't manage 22-23 minutes defenceman role, he could be used as 16-17 minute forward. He has done both during the years and has scored at 25-goal pace as a forward. That's quite crazy when you think of it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I absolutely agree. Buff would be great this season, but I don't want him under contract moving forward. My money says that his play will fall off a cliff given the way that he takes care of himself.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yep. But if his weight becomes a problem on later age, there's still the chance to transfer him quite easily a punishing power-forward and superb net-front precence. That was his trademark at Hawks 2010 Cup run and I will never forget it. No one could do nothing for him in front the net.

So, later years, if he can't manage 22-23 minutes defenceman role, he could be used as 16-17 minute forward. He has done both during the years and has scored at 25-goal pace as a forward. That's quite crazy when you think of it.

he played forward a lot for the jets last year, until their D got hit by injuries, buff was moved back to D and played like all star for few months and stayed on D for the rest of the season. iirc, he produced at below 40 point pace at forward. 60+ at D.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
he played forward a lot for the jets last year, until their D got hit by injuries, buff was moved back to D and played like all star for few months and stayed on D for the rest of the season. iirc, he produced at below 40 point pace at forward. 60+ at D.

With the price he will command, you go from a good contract to terrible contract real quick. If you are talking about him going from a 50-60 point D man to 35-40 point forward, as a permanent change.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
(In my dreams) Green for Byfuglien straight up would be the deal I'd make with the Jets.

Why? Why would Ken Holland trade Mike Green for Dustin Byfuglien it makes more sense to have both. Then the Wings could have 3 potential 50 point Defenceman on the backend Kronwall, Green and Byfuglien. No way would Holland move Green for Byfuglien it would defeat the purpose of signing Green in the first place.

Buff for Tatar and Jets retain 2m of salary.

Yeah no thank you, It's not a gimme that we could afford to resign Buff. We've got around $18.5 million to spend next year on 10 RFAs/UFAs if the cap stays the same. And we've got to resign DeKeyser, Sheahan, Mrazek possibly Abdelkader and Pulkkinen DeKeyser should get a nice raise. Not worth trading one of our best young wingers for possibly a 1 year rental.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad