Proposal: Hypothetical: Jonathan Drouin's agent goes to Kent Hughes and offers a 1yr extension at league min. Do you accept it?

Re-sign J. Drouin to a 750,000 NMC contract?

• Yes

Votes: 70 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 293 80.7%

• Total voters

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Pot meet kettle. If you are upset by post that are negative, why are you on this board? Your hands are as dirty as everyone else, just not when it comes to Drouin. Then its entirely different. I won't bother digging up your old posts like a troll, but

aa38a03b-1bfb-4965-9f63-120c8769337c_text.gif

God forbid, anyone point out that Drouin has been awful..........he has in his eyes, become the morals and ethics committee on HF habs board.......it's a joke.

There is a lot of stat watching in all sports, but the eye test is more useful in hockey IMO. Not the be all and end all. but when you see a talented player that has very low motivation, for whatever reason, it leaves a distinct taste in your mouth. I know Kovy is more liked by many hab faithfuls than Koivu, and I loved his talent level. That being said he also spent a lot of time floating around when he wasn't ON.

Saku generally gave 85-100 % each night. Rarely took nights off while being surrounded by 'neverweres', 'whowasits', and 'i sorta remember them' players. Chris Higgins-future captain of the habs, come on down. Kovy on the other hand could dazzle and elbow shiver tucker on a given night and then disappear for 5 games at a time.

I was going to do a Petrov vs Berezin comparison, but most under 30 would have little idea of whom I am talking about.
Absolutely, spot on...............the eye test is something that many can't bother with, especially some habs fans....
There are some posters here, who I honestly believe don't watch a period of hockey, and then start making statements, which make zero sense...........

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I used to think the very same thing, until I realized trolls and failed contrarians are a waste of time and pollute/derail threads and the best thing to do to reduce their impact or motivation is to just ignore them. If people can't debate properly, they're not worth my time or attention.

I still whipe out my list from time to time, except for a few extreme cases who are just worthless in debates.

I'm not gonna bother with someone who constantly uses sophistry. The constant corrections to all their strawmen, spins and distortions is just way too time consuming.

I usually get over what people say the next day, I have never used the ignore list. it is so easy to get emotional over this team the last 20 years , I get the frustration in fans. The homer posts I skip pretty fast.

Reactions: BLONG7

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Drouin's had one good playoff performance, and that was seven years ago. His playoff prowess is a myth.
That wasn’t just a good performance that was a great one. He hasn’t had a chance and hasn’t had skilled linemates either. Not sure why people want to rip on someone with 3 wrist injuries and an ankle injury in 4 years.

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Where's the logic here. You're the one ignoring those things if you think they weren't hard pressed to trade him. You also fail to mention and ignore that his ELC had ended and would command a raise, so maybe stop acting like a ErikaKostitsyn and realize you're no better.

-Tampa had cap issues
-Expansion draft slots problem
-Drouin needed a hefty raise on a new contract

All of these point to Tampa being desperate.

I'm agree with you Tampa need to move someone and desesperate in some way. They need to pay Drouin after his ELC like you said but Drouin become available because Yzerman didn't judge him good enough to keep him over Callahan with a 5,8 AAV at the time; Drouin sign for 5,5 AAV here and the better return Drouin can bring over Callahan in a trade.

To resume, if Yzerman would though one second Drouin can fullfill his potential he will never trade this guy, the easy solution to replace MSL on paper, you find solution when you find the good one even if not the easy way and never think to move him but SY didn't want to bet on him and make the right choice in trading him!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm agree with you Tampa need to move someone and desesperate in some way. They need to pay Drouin after his ELC like you said but Drouin become available because Yzerman didn't judge him good enough to keep him over Callahan with a 5,8 AAV at the time; Drouin sign for 5,5 AAV here and the better return Drouin can bring over Callahan in a trade.

To resume, if Yzerman would though one second Drouin can fullfill his potential he will never trade this guy, the easy solution to replace MSL on paper, you find solution when you find the good one even if not the easy way and never think to move him but SY didn't want to bet on him and make the right choice in trading him!
Callahan was basically untradable at the time if I remember correctly and he had a NMC which means he had to be protected. Trading Drouin was just a much easier option then paying assets to get rid of a contract like that or buying it out. Tampa had already had issues with Drouin and his agent as well. Yzerman’s back was against a wall and Bergevin came and took the bait.

Reactions: MXD and BLONG7

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He's a better defensive player than Caufield.
No he’s not. Caufield does pretty good defensive play every game if you watch him closely, has to defend against the other teams first line, rarely any giveaways and he’s pretty good with his stick. What’s lacking on this team is the transition game from the defense so the forwards wouldn’t have to play more than 30 seconds of their shifts in their own zone.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Tampa only made the right choice at trading Drouin when we were OK with trading Sergachev. I remember the games that Sergachev played with us and some of our "development coaches" on HF boards were saying he looks lost out there in his own zone.

Yzerman and Cooper likely did not like his soft style play. He had a great age 20 playoffs and a very good age 21 season and you would think at that point, he was going to improve offensively even more.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Debatable. Caufield doesn't make as many giveaways that lead to goals against.

That's... not really a defensive issue in and of itself though. If anything that's mostly an offensive decision-making or puck-controlling issue. He's been perfectly adequate offensively, often using his speed to backcheck and generally placing himself in the D-zone to ensure some counterattacks..

And if there's one thing where Drouin probably needs slack, it's his giveaways at the offensive blueline while he's acting as a D, because he realistically and obviously shouldn't be there (and isn't much anymore). The same reasoning applies to players being out of position.

On the other hand, Drouin is kinda perfecting the art to look good (more like looks okay) offensively while not bringing much tangibles to the table, all the while being soft (scared?) along the boards, and having no shot whatsoever.

I think he's been contributing more to the defense than to the offense... And don't get me wrong, he didn't become Bob Gainey or Mike McPhee or even Mike Johnson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Et le But

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
The goal on Sat was given to Anderson, and Drouin still has 0 goal in this season ?

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Points per 60 (5-on-5):

17. Savard 1.01
18. Harris 1.00
19. Drouin 0.70
20. Pezzetta 0.69
21. Kovacevic 0.65
22. Wideman 0.38
23. Edmundson 0.38
24. Pitlick 0
25. Barron 0

Last edited:

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Callahan was basically untradable at the time if I remember correctly and he had a NMC which means he had to be protected. Trading Drouin was just a much easier option then paying assets to get rid of a contract like that or buying it out. Tampa had already had issues with Drouin and his agent as well. Yzerman’s back was against a wall and Bergevin came and took the bait.

Callahan got that same kind of contract we give too Gallagher here. Too much money, too much year to a guy with a body damaged by is style of play with a limited offensive production at first; a kind of a contract they can hurt you really bad because you can't only loose with that kind of a deal because even if he play by is standard is still a "OK" contract at best.

Drouin seem a headcase and Callahan very hard to move, NMC, and very costly to do it with this contract but if Stevie Y think one second he have a prospect of the quality of a "Caufield" or something like that he will pay the price and find a way to keep his prospect.

He made the good choice, using Drouin to obtain a very nice asset for the future in Sergachev for a guy who know he will not make it or ar least not becoming the guy everyone think he will be. Before Hughes, we can't remember here how a good GM can be but this is something like that finding a solution with a problem at first with a good evaluation of your player; something we didn't see here since Serge Savard but hoping Hughes can be the next one!

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Debatable. Caufield doesn't make as many giveaways that lead to goals against.
Ask Stevie Y?
JD gave him the stink eye when SY told him to work on play without the puck and sent him to the AHL.

Our only hope for a late round pick or a bag of pucks is if the Av’s think he and McKinnon can rekindle some magic. Don’t hold your breath.

Reactions: expy and ArtPeur

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Tampa only made the right choice at trading Drouin when we were OK with trading Sergachev. I remember the games that Sergachev played with us and some of our "development coaches" on HF boards were saying he looks lost out there in his own zone.

Yzerman and Cooper likely did not like his soft style play. He had a great age 20 playoffs and a very good age 21 season and you would think at that point, he was going to improve offensively even more.

No doubt Tampa make the good choice. I remember the first games of Sergachev after looking like a future Norris in the main camp he seem completely lost in the regular season game he play. At the time, I have some concern with that, he seem to hit a "mental wall" between the camp and regular season but at his age is not a uncommon thing and he simply need more time.

Yzerman and Cooper didn't like his style of play and we understand why now. At the time, he seem an offensive dynamo like Gaudreau or something like that and I never thought he can become a useless player with that kind of offensive production like he did with us.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

I agree, not many D are outstanding at such a young age. The craft at this level usually requires a lot of trial & error. Just goes to show how impressive Guhle has been with honourable mention to Xhekaj at 20-21!!!!
Let’s be fair though Sergachev is a beast and that will go down as one of the worst moves from the old regime.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree, not many D are outstanding at such a young age. The craft at this level usually requires a lot of trial & error. Just goes to show how impressive Guhle has been with honourable mention to Xhekaj at 20-21!!!!
Let’s be fair though Sergachev is a beast and that will go down as one of the worst moves from the old regime.

No doubt about it. We took a winger that digressed and traded one that turned into a top pairing D quality.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No doubt Tampa make the good choice. I remember the first games of Sergachev after looking like a future Norris in the main camp he seem completely lost in the regular season game he play. At the time, I have some concern with that, he seem to hit a "mental wall" between the camp and regular season but at his age is not a uncommon thing and he simply need more time.

Yzerman and Cooper didn't like his style of play and we understand why now. At the time, he seem an offensive dynamo like Gaudreau or something like that and I never thought he can become a useless player with that kind of offensive production like he did with us.

I really like how Tampa groomed Sergachev too. Lots of bottom pairing minutes with 2nd PP time. Having Hedman and MacDonagh helps and now that MacDonagh is gone, Sergachev is fully matured and ready

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad