Proposal: Hypothetical: Jonathan Drouin's agent goes to Kent Hughes and offers a 1yr extension at league min. Do you accept it?

Re-sign J. Drouin to a 750,000 NMC contract?

• Yes

Votes: 70 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 293 80.7%

• Total voters

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
A thought came to my mind, if Drouin's agent said to the Habs that Drouin is desperate to make it work and pay back the faith the Habs and Habs fans placed in him -- it would be a PR and goodwill coup for both Drouin and the Habs (and possibly give Drouin another shot to extend his NHL career) -- would the Habs accept? Should the Habs accept?

Why or why not?

For your information he has 0 goals, 5 assists in 18 games this season (on pace for 23pts in an 82 game season). He had 20pts in 34gp last season. In his best seasons as a Hab he had 46 and 53 points.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Tbh it's gonna be around 2m$, but we can practically dictate the terms as he knows he might not receive a single offer from any other teams.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If he doesn't do well enough to attract a decent trade offer at the deadline he can get lost. He has his chance to do enough to earn another contract. So far he hasn't and doesn't appear to want to stay in the NHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If he doesn't do well enough to attract a decent trade offer at the deadline he can get lost. He has his chance to do enough to earn another contract. So far he hasn't and doesn't appear to want to stay in the NHL.
You bring up an interesting point...does he even want to play professional hockey at this point? He doesn't appear to have the burning desire.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You bring up an interesting point...does he even want to play professional hockey at this point? He doesn't appear to have the burning desire.
And that applies to several vets on this team. Maybe they will be playing in an easier league in Europe next season.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
No

And it got nothing to do with Drouin himself......even without Drouin, Habs need to find a way to make room for many prospect. It's all fun to draft them, but have to play them at some point or those prospects are worth nothing.

No matter the contract, he'll take a spot of a prospect and that's a problem

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
A thought came to my mind, if Drouin's agent said to the Habs that Drouin is desperate to make it work and pay back the faith the Habs and Habs fans placed in him -- it would be a PR and goodwill coup for both Drouin and the Habs (and possibly give Drouin another shot to extend his NHL career) -- would the Habs accept? Should the Habs accept?

Why or why not?

For your information he has 0 goals, 5 assists in 18 games this season (on pace for 23pts in an 82 game season). He had 20pts in 34gp last season. In his best seasons as a Hab he had 46 and 53 points.
No........No.......No.................and No.
Someone needs to post the Steve Carrell shot of him saying NO...........

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The agent do this?!?!?

On topic... Maybe. He's not the type of player I want on the team, but his replacement may not be either (and would be more expensive if UFA). I'd strongly defer to MSL on this. I can't quite see any of our unsigned wingers being ready or locks for NHL duties and whoever we draft should not be forced in the lineup as a winger if he isn't one. Let's not play Beck on the wing either.

That is obviously on a 750K deal. And if MSL shows even a slight doubt, that's a hard pass on Drouin.

Edit : I really don't care about Ylonen.
Edit2 : I missed the NMC part. That's a no then.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't think it's useful for him because he should get a change of scenery.

That said, if I were some random GM and a guy like Drouin offered to join my team for league minimum I would 1000% agree and sign same day.

Let's not forget there are teams who can use stopgaps and reclamation projects under the cap structure. Teams like the Oilers would've begged for a Drouin like project years ago because they had no one on the wing to play with their centers.

We have to put the fact he hasn't succeeded with us aside. He has talent and from how he is off the ice he doesn't appear to be a locker room problem. He actually seems like a nice person who gives back to the community. A team looking for a project like that can do a LOT worse than Drouin.

Reactions: MXD

70Stang

Feb 21, 2008
The smart move yes is one year and up his price and move him. I do not believe he fits in Montreal and I was hoping that he would be the type of player that "drove" the play and made others better. Unfortunately I have never seen that with him in Mtl and the one area he should excel at is the PP and that is a lost cause. He doesn't have the heart or passion to want to be one of the best players. Sad really because it appears in spurts he has the tools.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
That said, if I were some random GM and a guy like Drouin offered to join my team for league minimum I would 1000% agree and sign same day.

Let's not forget there are teams who can use stopgaps and reclamation projects under the cap structure. Teams like the Oilers would've begged for a Drouin like project years ago because they had no one on the wing to play with their centers.

We have to put the fact he hasn't succeeded with us aside. He has talent and from how he is off the ice he doesn't appear to be a locker room problem. He actually seems like a nice person who gives back to the community. A team looking for a project like that can do a LOT worse than Drouin.
Not to disagree with you specifically but you're alluding to talent and ability of Drouin when he's on pace for 23 points and hasn't surpassed 30 points in quite a while, not since the 2018-2019 season in fact.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
No........No.......No.................and No.
Someone needs to post the Steve Carrell shot of him saying NO...........
the-office-steve-carell.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad